Thailand negotiating to buy 5-10 million doses of Pfizer vaccine: PM

snoop1130

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

The only certainties in this life are taxes and death, only the arrogant think they know different.

Oh Sandy, don't be so naive, it's not arrogance, it's common sense! Have you confirmed your vaccination???

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

If they seriously want to stop the pandemic spreading among Thai people and get tourism going again then as soon as possible.

Wishful thinking and reality are not quite the same, "soon as possible" may very well mean next year.

When demand is greater than supply, waiting is a fact of  life.

If Thailand was a rich country they could have done the same as the UK did a year ago, invested blindly in 7 different vaccines in the hope that one would be successful. Again, only wishful thinking could have funded such a strategy.

8 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Oh Sandy, don't be so naive, it's not arrogance, it's common sense! Have you confirmed your vaccination???

Unlike you I live in the real world.

Was at the hospital yesterday and brought it up, he just laughed and said have to wait.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I sure hope they follow thru on this and it is available.

Willing to pay no problem, just don't want the other option jabs.

i dont want any of them mate.

Not yet anyway.

I am waiting to see the results of the worldwide trial that is currently being undertaken.

Lets see what side effects and illnesses start occuring in a year or so with those vaccinated.

Vitamin D, lots of it, and my existing immune system, being careful, social distancing, is good enough for me.

10 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Thailand is not in a position to negotiate and Pfizer is not making  "bid".  Thailand must go and pay whatever the cost is. No discussion.  Other countries are in line and willing to pay the Pfizer price. The arrogance of the Thai government is astounding. Delusional to think that a company with a product in high demand is going to bid or negotiate on a small order of vaccine. Thailand  needs Pfizer vaccine. Pfizer does not need Thailand. The people who have the financial means will go to other country to get vaccine access.

Negotiate is another word for haggle, which is the Asian way.

Just now, sandyf said:

Unlike you I live in the real world.

Was at the hospital yesterday and brought it up, he just laughed and said have to wait.

The real world stretches beyond Thailand, Sandy. I will be vaccinated on Friday morning at 9.10 am, with the Astrazeneca vaccine, how real is that, Sandy?

11 hours ago, sirineou said:

Good to be negotiating now so that they are at the front of the line. 

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

They are waiting for the producing countries to be vaccinated so that they can buy the vaccine a fire sale prices. 

It is as simple as that. 

Which puts them at the tail end of the queue. 

Pfizer fire sale pricing starts in 2022.

• Like 1

Do the Thai Authorities believe that Pfizer, or any other Vaccine producer is going to sell them a small amount of Vaccine, knowing full well that it will be the one and only order they will get from the Country.

They will never put their reputations at risk over the orders they have already secured, and probably have already been paid for in part or full.

Every Manufacturer knows that Thailand is pinning all its hopes and dreams on the AZ Plant being up and running in June, and because of the Money involved Etc, there will be no detraction from that perceived cash cow, so any further Business will not be forthcoming..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smedly said:

must be really hurting to have to spend money on the people 

I am sure there will be a filter applied

Prayut has already said that  30 Million Vaccinate Citizens will be " Sufficient ": for Thailand

Filter already applied.

Edited by Cake Monster

2 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Surely no need as we were told Siam Bioscience would be producing 18 million vaccines a month from June, or does the PM know something the public don't?

Well yes, the PM does know something that you obviously don't. Siam Bioscience is not only producing vaccines for Thailand, but also for the region. So importing from other sources is probably a necessity.

• Like 1

Let us hope there is some truth to this. Prayuth has zero credibility, on any level. He is stunningly incompetent, and has long overstayed his welcome. And now, he has failed the nation miserably with this second wave, which could have easily been avoided, had some precautions been taken by locking down Samut Sakhon province immediately, and rooting out his bad apple immigration guys, on the border. There is no saying the extent of the corruption in this administration, but the army is not exactly known for integrity. Let us hope he can get at least one thing right. 

He must step down, or be removed. He is a toxic force, and a dinosaur. The youth is right. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Five to ten million doses, so, who gets the Pfizer and who gets the Chinese gunk???

sinovac ceo admits the chinese vaccine is only 50% effective .  and his hail mary is to mix vaccines together and see what happens.  

• Thanks 1

im confused on why they dont go for the moderna .  easier to transport.........around.  in the usa in smaller communitys moderna is more prevelant.  as phizer had to be kept super frozen.  only larger citys have that type of refrigeration.....................now we see the power big pharma has

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

He is stunningly incompetent

Shurely must be shome mishtake?

In July 2015 he was personally in charge of the plan to created a new emergency phone number 911.

That's working isn't it?

In December 2017 he said the new standard gauge railway to China would be up and running between Bangkok and Korat by 2021. Just over six months to wait for the completion now.

<For the hard-of-learning: The text above may contain traces of sarcasm>

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Leaning the same way. Have my checkup soon, so we will see what my cardiologist recommends.

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I am sure this will be for the Locals. If you  want to purchase a vaccine you'll have to wait for the private hospitals to obtain them and I think that will be soon and it will be the top shelf stuff....

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

From the manufacturers. As to what will happen further down the supply chain we will have to wait and see. There may be significant logistical, administrative and no doubt other costs which will have to be recouped.

If you buy it from a private hospital then yes of course they are going to mark it up.  I think AZ is only selling at cost to gov'ts.  They are selling for profit to private companies and private hospitals.  I think that's where they plan to make all their profits.

29 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

im confused on why they dont go for the moderna .  easier to transport.........around.  in the usa in smaller communitys moderna is more prevelant.  as phizer had to be kept super frozen.  only larger citys have that type of refrigeration.....................now we see the power big pharma has

Because they aren't making enough. They just cut back expected delivers to the UK and some other countries.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vaccine-manufacturing-issues-force-moderna-to-cut-supplies-to-canada-u-k-11618600046

Edited by shdmn

24 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

..............now we see the power big pharma has

Yes, the power to save millions of lives every year. 

But for “big pharma” I would have been dead before I was sixty and my seventeen year old son would never have seen made it home from the hospital. 

7 minutes ago, shdmn said:

I think AZ is only selling at cost to gov'ts.  They are selling for profit to private companies and private hospitals.  I think that's where they plan to make all their profits.

No thats not correct, its not for profit and thats their contract agreement with Oxford Uni, well until the pandemic is officially over that is.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No thats not correct, its not for profit and thats their contract agreement with Oxford Uni, well until the pandemic is officially over that is.

That's in the EU.  That is not what the Serum Institute is planning to do with Covishield, which is their brand name for AZ.  That is probably where a lot of Thailand's AZ will come from once the Indian gov't lifts their restrictions on exporting it.

https://www.indiatoday.in/coronavirus-outbreak/story/serum-institute-sell-covishield-vaccine-price-cost-private-market-adar-poonawalla-1755628-2021-01-04

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

Another change just announced.................

Thailand to Acquire 35m More COVID Vaccine Doses

The prime minister wrote on his Facebook account that a working group on COVID-19 vaccination resolved that Thailand would buy 35 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines from a few more producers in addition to a previous plan to procure 65 million doses.

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-679637

Looks like Prayut has put that idiot Auntin into an inactive post LOL

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shdmn said:

That's in the EU.  That is not what the Serum Institute in India is doing with covishield which is their brand name for AZ.  That is probably where a lot of Thailand's AZ will come from.

Again not correct, its the world, the transfer of technology to the Serum Institute in India was on the basis of the same stipulations, ie not for profit/loss until the pandemic is over. No transfer of the Oxford Uni technology will happen unless this is agreed in the contract.

"agreement with the Pune-based Serum Institute of India (SII), among other world-wide vaccine manufacturers, to produce the vaccine currently under trial at the University of Oxford on a mass scale, if successful.

“Our vaccine work is progressing quickly”, the university said on Friday. It recently announced the start of a Phase II/III trial of the vaccine in about 10,000 adult volunteers with other late-stage trials due to begin in a number of countries around the world.

The agreements, reached on a not-for-profit basis includes a $750 million agreement with the Coalition of Epidemic Preparedness Innovations founded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation"

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/biopharma-major-astrazeneca-ties-up-with-indian-institute-to-produce-potential-vaccine/story-UF9yLSQLRQSKX6NNemnFRK.html

Edited by Bkk Brian