Thai Prime Minister reassures public after most severe COVID-19 wave

Jonathan Fairfield

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

(P.S. India's latest daily infections is shown as "only" 8,025, so maybe they have it more under control than the media would have us believe?)

From 320,000 to 8,025 in just one day...now that would be some serious improvement...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Restrictions should be used as a preventive measure to protect against things getting to a breaking point, not as a reactionary measure when things are too far gone already and the damage has been done

How do so many people not comprehend this?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Hardly...with 418 critical patients as of today, for the whole country, ICUs are far from overrun.

What is filling up the hospitals are the asymptomatic patients, which is not reason for panic.

Well if your being relative to the whole country yes, but it does not work like that, Bangkok and hotspots are at critical levels on ICU bed availabity as well as all hospital bed shortages.

They will now need to start moving patients to other areas outside of Bangkok where they fortunately have not been as badly hit.....yet

image.png.d58f1a3a54708caf7cd4cee4147fd23c.png

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes...and what point are you trying to make I'm not clear. I also tend to compare Thailand's numbers to France or Italy as the population numbers are more similar but of course there are lots of dissimilarities as well. 

France 31k yesterday 

Italy 15k

Thailand 3k.

My apologies - the point I am trying to make should have been for the post running alongside this one entitled "Breaking News" where the latest figures show 2839 new infections on Saturday, substantially breaking the previous record on Friday of 2070 new infections, but "everything's under control" ???? (i.e. Thailand's daily increase in the number of infections seems to be rocketing in comparison with other countries)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

How do you think those countries got to those numbers?  Perhaps by starting out at a couple thousand per day?

If the leaders of both country were asked, "if you could do it over again, would you lock down earlier?" what do you think they'd say?

It's a balance...would you recommend locking down a country of tens of millions or hundreds of millions if there is one case? I mean, after all, cases could increase 100% to 2 infections and if you don't come down hard you're eventually on the way to 300k daily cases.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The government and I will do everything possible to ensure that we all will persevere through this crisis.

A crisis that he allowed to happen by not stopping Songkran.. the few millions of baht made will be overshadowed by the multi-millions it will now cost to treat the sick.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The vast majority of New cases are in over-crowded Bangkok and that's where any new control measures should be focused. Let's wait another 5-7 days post Songkran to see where the numbers settle. Most other countries are still in the tens of thousands of new daily cases (300k for India) and Japan is locking down Tokyo and Osaka so I wouldn't panic over a couple thousand infections.

A couple of thousand that's increasing not decreasing... Bangkok could turn into a melting pot very soon.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

It's a balance...would you recommend locking down a country of tens of millions or hundreds of millions if there is one case? I mean, after all, cases could increase 100% to 2 infections and if you don't come down hard you're eventually on the way to 300k daily cases.

I know math is difficult for some people, but surely you must know the difference between 1 and 2,800, correct?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Just more of his usual pathetic  BS, truth is he is way over his head, has absolutely no idea.

All he cares about is himself, no one else, time for him to pack his bags and p off.

me think kai on face

calling Dr. Fauci, Dr. Fauci

Edited by malibukid

5 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

I know math is difficult for some people, but surely you must know the difference between 1 and 2,800, correct?

No I don't...could you explain it to me. And the question was when/if to order lockdowns. The logic of some is if there are any cases...because if you don't, you're on the curve to India's 300k daily cases. Yes...the one case has eventually led to today's 3000 or so...again when would you have suggested a tight lockdown?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, peter2186 said:

I don't like to make negative comments, but when he said they have ordered X amount of vaccinations it would have been reassuring to say when they are expected, who will get the vaccines, how many shots a day is the forecast. I am concerned that this rollout will not include farangs who no doubt will be expected to pay premium prices for hospitalisation because they will struggle to get vaccinated and are therefore more exposed

But did Anutin not say a while ago that vaccinations will be free for everybody - citizen or foreigner - like they do in most civilised countries?

(Afterthought - free, but get to the back of the queue?)

Edited by sambum

8 hours ago, J Town said:

<sarcasm>

I feel SO reassured now. I'll sleep much better.

</sarcasm>

This reminds me of a song, call killing me softly, if covid don't do it than maybe the heat, if not the heat than the air prolusion is on the rise again and that might do it. I just can't get that song out of my head.

its an illegal regime its time it was taken to task,time for locals to make a decision and do something just once,the country is approaching the precipice,we have the richest people in the world here,no free tests. so hard to access any info of use,why?no hospital beds a freaked out gullible population thats incapeable of any type of free thought or action.and NO VACCINES after whole worlds got em,no end in sight.theyve been caught as whores when trying to sell it privately so that last avenues closed to us,time someone stepped in and ambassadors too ,burmese guy had balls none here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

It might seem a bit silly to lockdown too fast but it has worked in Australia. In fact the city of Perth is locked down for a few days over 1 solitary case. It does seem extreme but tonight in Melbourne there is a concert with Crowded House and other bands with 15000 people attending and a football game today and tomorrow with 75000 hopefully at each game. That's what strictness can achieve and Melbournians have total freedom. Economy now going good. 

It is a bit easier when you are an island country but I am happy they have been strict. 

Thailand did have a strict lockdown for the first wave last year and it appears to have been successful as Thailand sailed through most of the pandemics first (and worst) year with few infections/deaths. There has been some slippage in people's and businesses adherence to virus best practices and we can see the results. If by May 1, cases are still in the 3-5k or more daily infections, more stringent lockdown measures would be warranted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

And just what are the populations of India and Japan compared to Thailand?

To save you looking it up:- India 1,390,975,476, and Japan 126,162,025  (Substantially more than the population of Thailand which stands at 69,941,967.) (Figures from Worldometer)

(P.S. India's latest daily infections is shown as "only" 8,025, so maybe they have it more under control than the media would have us believe?)

Where did you get 8,025?, 332,730 as we speak.

United States of America

Community transmission

India

Clusters of cases

Brazil

Community transmission

France

Community transmission

Russian Federation

Clusters of cases

Turkey

Community transmission

The United Kingdom

Community transmission

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

If by May 1, cases are still in the 3-5k or more daily infections, more stringent lockdown measures would be warranted.

By then the health system would have crashed if Thailand followed that path.

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

By then the health system would have crashed if Thailand followed that path.

It's at 3k now and hasn't crashed. About 10% of virus patients require hospital treatment during their illness. That would be 300-500 additional hospital admissions..I think Thailand can handle that.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

A few notes on Canada's case burden: First, this 3rd wave is definitely the worst. Second, the fact that this is the worst confirms that we are one of the dumbest nations on earth. At least top 10 (and here you were thinking this is one of the best countries to live in). Third, we recovered to the (artificial) nadir of the second wave after around 8 weeks from the peak. We have a higher peak, less healthcare system capacity, and 8 weeks from today is June 18. The only difference this time around: we will have a lot more vaccine. (At least that is what we are counting on.) So we are getting back on track, but it is going to take patience and discipline.     

Andrew Morris, MD, Toronto April 24, 2021

Eight weeks, not 14 days, Too! And Canada has limited vaccines, just somewhat better than Thailand. We need vaccines for EVERYBODY, including foreigners & illegal migrants…with no legal consequences. And directed at hotspot clusters, not age.

Firstly, govt needs to grow some stones and begin a hard lockdown, TODAY, if the generals think Thai people are worth saving.

Patience & discipline are well-known as Thai traits. WE the people can lockdown. Can government???

Wuhan has precisely the same population & demographics as Bangkok. Wuhan was shut down FOR MONTHS. Yes, we can!

The alternative? Thailand has precisely the same population & demographics as UK.

Wuhan model or UK model? Time to act!

And keep those borders sealed! Quarantine for a minimum of  14 days unless we want some new variants to play with.

You screwed it up. Now show some leadership! 

Well I am sorry to have to remind everyone, but about 2 weeks after the infections the death tolls start rising.

The U.K. for all the ridicule on here and throughout the world for it's slow response to the pandemic is still pumping out in excess of 1/2 a million vaccines a day, the death toll is down dramatically and yesterday was 40 in total with some 2.5 thousand new infections and we are slowly coming out of lockdown.

The population of the U.K. an Thailand are similar so I think a sharp uptick in deaths is around the corner. Not good for the wellbeing of the Thai people, or the tourism industry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

It's at 3k now and hasn't crashed...and about 10% of virus patients require hospitalization for some period of time during their illness. That would be 300-500 additional hospital admissions..I think Thailand can handle that.

Did you miss the numbers in the graphic, there are only enough ICU beds in the whole country for another 19 days. Source CCSA

image.png.c6e39f1b5f7915ab47d2a7d88fa5160e.png