Retiree =? XXX Tourists (Where are they anyway)?

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Seeking medical care is NOT mandatory

It can be: if you have a ‘gazetted’ disease, for example.

Also, spewing your blood and guts all over BigC or a government office may well get you compulsorily medicated! 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PGSan said:

It can be: if you have a ‘gazetted’ disease, for example.

Also, spewing your blood and guts all over BigC or a government office may well get you compulsorily medicated! 

Regarding your 1st point, you're clearly referring to Covid for which specific insurance is available and I have it.

Your 2nd point isn't worthy of an answer.

On 4/24/2021 at 12:19 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I think the Op makes some valid points: 

The increasing costs of insurance for the ageing foreigners in Thailand is a tough burden. 

But, I understand the the government insisting that people have insurance. 

I personally believe the government is within their rights to insist that ALL long termer's here have insurance which will cover them for serious issues. 

At the very minimum in patient treatment to a minimum of 3million baht coverage. 

Perhaps with a deductible of 30,000 baht. OPD not really required as people can generally self insure for that. 

Or, if tax records show that someone has paid a minimum of xx amount of tax over a certain period they could be included in the Public Health Care schemes. 

The costs of increasing health care are certainly a concern for me - I’m in my 40’s - but imagine by the time I’m in my 60’s the costs of health care here may be quite prohibitive and while I don’t need insurance to obtain a visa, I always want to have decent medical cover. I’ve seen enough people get caught out, I have found myself caught out in the past with sports injuries and illness to recognise that something serious can be just around the corner. 

Your views will change dramatically when you reach 75!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

If the worse happens & I cannot afford compulsory Health insurance (UK pensioner) could I settle long-term in Spain after Brexit?

Unfortunately, even the EHIC scheme ceased on 31 December 2020 although this states cards continue to be valid until expiry. New scheme; https://www.ghic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do

Edited by The Fugitive

On 4/24/2021 at 3:08 PM, DrJack54 said:

Nice Rant OP.

And your point?

Many flights out of Thailand.

But before you book your flight, re-check your original post, many errors and lots of assumptions which are actually your opinions and not necessarily the opinions of others. .

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But before you book your flight, re-check your original post, many errors and lots of assumptions which are actually your opinions and not necessarily the opinions of others. .

What are you on about

Edited by DrJack54

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There's no requirement to buy insurance, I've not had any in the past 12 years.

I don't have any (beyond government minimum vehicle). My most expensive medical bill was 3,500bht for 3 nights in government hospital with gall bladder infection. My pal's most expensive bill was 40,000bht in a government hospital, toppled off his m/c and broke his hip, fully paid for by government minimum m/c insurance.

Each person’s experience may be quite different. Chiang Mai, 2015 ... heart attack and at the end of the week a “mini stroke” from placement of the stent, plus 2 angioplasties. Total bill 411,000 baht. My insurance paid $5,000 USD and I paid the balance of $6,000 USD.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There's no requirement to buy insurance, I've not had any in the past 12 years.

I don't have any (beyond government minimum vehicle). My most expensive medical bill was 3,500bht for 3 nights in government hospital with gall bladder infection. My pal's most expensive bill was 40,000bht in a government hospital, toppled off his m/c and broke his hip, fully paid for by government minimum m/c insurance.

Each person’s experience may be quite different. Chiang Mai, 2015 ... heart attack and at the end of the week a “mini stroke” from placement of the stent, plus 2 angioplasties. Total bill 411,000 baht. My insurance paid $5,000 USD and I paid the balance of $6,000 USD.

6 hours ago, Whale said:

I had a bill for 2 million, and I have had various other bills over 200K, my meds bill is about 50k every 3 months. One never knows what tomorrow may bring or what the cost of staying alive could be. Enjoy your health to the utmost whilst you have it.

Private hospital ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

If the worse happens & I cannot afford compulsory Health insurance (UK pensioner) could I settle long-term in Spain after Brexit?

Only allowed six months during one calendar year, so, six months Spain and six months somewhere else.

So what next?

The world is round and wide:

Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, … Cypress, Greece… Spain, Portugal,... Panama,....Costa Rica Just to mention a few.

I hear that Brazil is very cosy this time of year . . . . . India's a sunny, cheap option, too.

Edited by robsamui

8 hours ago, actonion said:

Why does it mean he has no insurance??,, its the vehicle thats insured  not the driver /rider, i have insurance  on a car, and bike,  i have never had to show  a licence to get any insurance     ,i have also been involved in accidents x3  being hit from my rear,  police were called, but no body ever had to produce licences...

If you are at fault they will not cover you because without a licence you should not have been driving.

Driving un-licenced is the same as driving drunk............The insurance in invalid.

Edited by Ralf001

22 hours ago, Bell1234 said:

Who needs a driving license? Most of the locals don't have one.. Lived here over 11 years and never had one.. Fines are nomore than it would cost me in getting one.

But you drive illegally  and uninsured which is worse than drunk driving..You put people in jeopardy. Most locals do have licenses. A few days in jail might curb your arrogance  and entitlement

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jesimps said:

At 76, why should I fork out 150,000 a year for something I'll probably never use when I have the means to self insure for any eventuality. That's assuming I could find someone to insure me in the first place (I had cancer in 2000 which was cured with radiotherapy). Since then, I've been as fit as a fiddle. If they ever did bring in the compulsory insurance scam for everybody, I'd feel compelled to move elsewhere. Cue the "don't slam the door on the way out" tossers. Didn't take them long to come out of woodwork on this thread.

You started the thread about leaving..

• Thanks 1