Thailand’s prime minister asked to reconsider another national lockdown

webfact

15 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

Millions of lives lost?  Less than 1% actual mortality rate - per WHO it is 0.23%.  It will take 50 million in Thailand to reach herd immunity naturally.  You can do the math

Impossible to know what the real mortality rate is when many countries don't report at all.  And the ones that do admit their numbers are low.  Especially in the beginning.  And don't forget long covid.  That's not fully understood yet.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

That's not true.  And I've been following the news very closely.  Using reliable sites only.  Nothing from social media.

Did you read this: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/24/lockdown-proponents-cant-escape-blame-biggest-public-health/

Is The Daily Telegraph (UK) reliable?   There is plenty of contrary opinion around about the effectiveness of lockdowns.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Did you read this: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/24/lockdown-proponents-cant-escape-blame-biggest-public-health/

Is The Daily Telegraph (UK) reliable?   There is plenty of contrary opinion around about the effectiveness of lockdowns.

It's quoting the Great Barrington Declaration.  Misinformation at it's worst.  Please, don't fall for this junk.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

Millions of lives lost?  Less than 1% actual mortality rate - per WHO it is 0.23%.  It will take 50 million in Thailand to reach herd immunity naturally.  You can do the math

And to give you a hint; it's about twice number of annual traffic accident deaths...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

If they want to reduce the daily increase of Covid cases just go back to no testing.

Correct.  I live in the rural .it was a regular thing to be tested when entering the area , no that's no more. I use the train but never been tested before I get on. Another way is to be tested on the train.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yeah, won't be happening.

He will just say again that it is all under control and there will be no need for a lockdown. His smiley face plan is at work at bringing happiness back to the people. 

Yes of course and lets ban alcohol sales again to make the people more happy.

10 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

Lockdowns just exacerbate the issue and encourage all forms of other problems. Depression, job losses, spousal abuse, suicide, substance abuse and another economic meltdown. People can’t take much more of this and the Prayut regime already has a country, whose populace is prone to superstition, scared witless. Follow Sweden, Florida and a number of other places that treat folks like adults. Finally, how about a robust vaccination program—stop dithering with this!

Sweden has terrible numbers, the PM has admitted they failed.

Florida daily has double or triple the number of cases compared with California, with half the population.

Where they really treat people like adults, no lockdowns, no limits on freedom of movement, etc. are Brazil and India. You would love it there.

BTW, the US suicide rate dropped by 20% last year.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

a robust vaccination program—stop dithering with this!

of course a robust vaccination program is 100% the very best long term solution it., But currently Thailand does not have that in place. Therefore, the very best short term solution right now  is a full national lock down. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's quoting the Great Barrington Declaration.  Misinformation at it's worst.  Please, don't fall for this junk.

So it is you who gets to cherry-pick which news articles are reliable and which are not? Every article and news item out there that supports your opinion and views is valid, everything else is not. Good job remaining credible!

News articles can found to support any opinion or stance.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Here are 35 papers on lockdowns and their effects, both on the spread of the virus and the economies of the places imposing them: 

35 Papers on Lockdowns

I don't think you can speak intelligently about any phenomenon by citing only one example. If someone says lockdowns didn't work citing one state or country, that's not science. If someone says lockdowns work citing one state or country, that's not science, either. 

It's been over a year and we certainly have enough real-world examples to make good data analysis. 

For a lockdown to be pure science you must live by yourself and have no contact with other humans, only then you will be safe from covid, anything else is fake news. Good Luck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Unfortunately the B.1.1.7 UK strain has spread all over the world, and has been detected in every USA state and is now killing thousands everyday and getting worse.

The UK knew about it in November last year, they announced it was a new highly contagious strain.

The only way to have controlled it was for the UK government to shut down the UK at the time. Boris was preoccupied showboating with Brexit and here we are now six months later.

That does not explain how it’s found it’s way into a bar visited by officials unless some of them have returned from UK by passing quarantine ????

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, mjnaus said:

So it is you who gets to cherry-pick which news articles are reliable and which are not? Every article and news item out there that supports your opinion and views is valid, everything else is not. Good job remaining credible!

News articles can found to support any opinion or stance.

Correct.

The scientific method is the best approach to medical research.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

That does not explain how it’s found it’s way into a bar visited by officials unless some of them have returned from UK by passing quarantine ????

With millions around the world now infected with the UK strain I imagine it would be near impossible to trace.

Maybe the officials shook Boris Johnson's hand when in the UK?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farma said:

Got an email this morning that COE from India for non thai nationals arriving 01 may onwards have been suspended or cancelled.

Screenshot_20210426-070647_Outlook.jpg

Why wait  another 5 days .that 5 days could bring 100's in 

1 hour ago, Ventenio said:

IF IF they only listened to the experts of TVF!!

1.  all falangs would be gone

2.  hookers free, beer free

3.  housing prices to zero

4.  masks OK, unless at bar

5.  bars open 24/7

6.  every city for sexpats

i can't take any replies on here too seriously.  lol

Well, one can't dream.... but actually most posts in this thread were fairly realistic about the current situation and certainly didn't ask for any of those things.

In fact, I'd say that many posts here make a lot more sense than anything done so far by the corrupt, incompetent, inbred leaders of this country.

For example, the whole idea of putting asymptomatic carriers in hospitals is just about the most idiotic thing I've ever heard of. Telling people to travel and spend money to support the economy in the middle of a third wave is also idiotic.

Many posters here (not all) would have certainly done a better job than the morons running the country.

As per your list of points, I will say that they're a funny exaggeration but as said before one can dream. If those are silly fantasies, however, it doesn't change the fact that prices of all of the above have been inching closer to western world levels, even though Thailand still has what most people would essentially defined as a third world country infrastructure and services (unless you're a connected hiso). I've seen properties now listed at prices that would look exorbitant in North America (not famous for its cheap real estate). In other words, it is getting to the point where going to Thailand is not worth it anymore, so good luck to them with their hopes of reviving tourism (although at least the baht has finally started going down) and their idiotic dreams of attracting millionaire retirees.

There are many smart things they could do. They could, for example, simplify visas so that people who work online, becoming more plentiful by the minute, could live there. Sure, they might not bring the millions the hisos need to find enough morons to buy their overpriced real estate or stay in their super-expensive, and yet little more than glorified <deleted>holes, resorts, but they'd still bring money from abroad and create more job opportunities (not only for prostitution) with very little in terms of possible drawbacks...

The list could go on and on... in short, those dimwits couldn't think their way out of a paper bag so good luck to Thailand[ with leaders like these they're gong to need lots of it. The country is sinking and somnomna to those morons, but I do feel really bad for the many normal, really nice Thai people who will suffer through it all. We should really ramp up our efforts to save more ladies and bring them to the west instead of wasting our time trying to live in a place about to implode.

Edited by Niteowl45
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

One of dozens of articles about this.  It's dangerous. 

https://theconversation.com/5-failings-of-the-great-barrington-declarations-dangerous-plan-for-covid-19-natural-herd-immunity-148975

5 failings of the Great Barrington Declaration’s dangerous plan for COVID-19 natural herd immunity

Thanks.  Yes, I'm catching up!  The original declaration and the responses to it all appear to be from 2020.  Are there more up-to-date articles, either pro GBD or against, that can benefit from the experience of lockdowns since 2020? I'm looking!