Kata Hill road safe to use, assures Phuket Highways Office

snoop1130

1619431191_1-org.jpg

The road from CHalong to Kata after the collapse in October last year. Photo: Phathada Sae-Lim / Facebook

PHUKET:-- As heavy isolated downpours continue to strafe the island, the Chief of the Phuket HIghways Office has assured that the road over the hill from Chalong to Kata is safe to use, despite a 200-metre section of the road starting to collapse due to ground erosion late last year.

The westbound section of the road remains reduced to one lane, but Samak Luedwonghat, Chief of the Phuket Highways Department, says that motorists should not be concerned.

“We made emergency repairs immediately after the road started collapsing [last October]. We have made additional repairs to support the road, which is safe to use,” he told The Phuket News.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/kata-hill-road-safe-to-use-assures-phuket-highways-office-79811.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-04-26

• Haha 1

I'm no engineer but if they are spending 10 million baht to make these major repairs, I'd envisage the same happening again a short time afterwards.

Shoring up this part of the road is going to be a major job and that budget just doesn't seem realistic at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

If it still looks like that photo it's not safe....!!! ????

That inside lane is barriered off. Only outside lane used and that visually looks ok. 

I remember when they widened the road many years ago I thought then that it was a shoddy job and would never last. 

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

That is not the updated pic. Those cones are all gone. White painted concrete barriers in place. But you can see the other side is still cracked and falling.

Actually I remember it now, we have something similar coming up the hill to Patong from Kathu, it's a death trap waiting to go wrong if you ask me...

The problem are those cracks, if they are still open, water from rain will get through the cracks and wash away the soil underneath, then the next part of the road will collapse and the next section will slide down... ! They should do a proper repair and re-enforce the underneath....

They are now widening a section of slope on Patong to Kamala road, looks like they are using a better plan there with concrete walls on the sides, let's see...., although the outbreak has put a stop to work now....

until western civil eng standards adopted & enforced & contracts properly scoped / awarded, this will continue..... oh wait.......

yes no proper geotech ground survey done & repeated “ repair” work to generate constant contract kickbacks.......probably different budget to Permanent Works.......