Brit dad stuck in Thailand with cancer needs £88,000 a year to continue fight in the UK

webfact

23 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I am curious to know what travel insurance he has. Isn’t this considered a pre-existing condition? I am surprised they even covered it.

It was newly diagnosed while he was in Thailand.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

OK,

Maybe not on the translation part. However, it is a red label sensationalist UK paper and not really classed as serious news reporting.

With his statement of the ' all clear '  well, I have seen and known personally people with late stage, and stage 4 is very late stage, of pancreatic cancer and some of them were wealthy and could afford the best types of treatment. None of them came through it shortly after diagnosis.

I think the guy is in denial. It affects different people in different ways and some are so desperate to cling to life, they will say or convince themselves of anything.

Having survived cancer 3 times including losing a kidney and thyroid gland the only way to survive is to grasp every chance and hope with both hands, fight, fight, fight or you have lost. You would have lost with that attitude .

Edited by kmj

33 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I would have lost nothing and you know nothing mate.

I was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2004 which turned out to be cancer of the vocal chords. I underwent an intensive course of chemotherapy and radiation therapy which failed.

I was then given a total laryngectomy in 2005, a removal of everything from Adam's apple, thyroid, voice-box and have since been with a stoma,  and I was hospitalized for 7 weeks at Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok, in a touch and go operation. I then had to undergo hyperbaric treatment due to the fact surgical wounds had not healed correctly.

I then underwent further radiation in the ' post op mopping up procedure ' After this, I had six monthly, then yearly, then 2 yearly checks for cancer.

I then sold a very successful business as I was to weak to continue with it.

I come from a family of eight and there are three of us left, two of us are cancer survivors, the other five all dieds from different cancers, so we know quite about cancer in my family.

I need no advice from you about attitudes or responses to cancer.

So with that history  why would you to tell someone to give up...

Edited by kmj

5 hours ago, Cadan said:

No way is the right way. You do the op and the cancer spreads, you don’t and it spreads too. Lost my mother at 62 - 7 months after the surgery 

I had a total laryngectomy operation at Bumrungrad in Bangkok in 2005, it's 2021 now.

I changed lifestyle and I am reasonably active. I had an annual medical last week and came out with flying colors except for some scar tissue in the lungs from being a previous smoker in a past life, and the doctor has cut the thyroid medicine I take, as she felt I had been over medicating.

The cancer I had was in the vocal chords and was localized and it very much depends on where it is and how quickly it is identified.

I understand your points but they are not true in every case.

However, my sister had a big operation for cancer of the esophagus and was given the all clear in the UK, she died within ten months as the cancer had got into her bones. The period in between operation and death, was no quality of life.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kmj said:

So with that history  who are you to tell someone to give up...

Show me where in my posts have I told him to give up?

I have said it is one of the worst types of cancer and at stage 4 the prognosis is not good. It is also in area where it can quickly spread to other organs and also it is a cancer that usually, by the time they have found it, it can be too late to operate.

You mention in one of your posts about ' fight and fight ' Well, as cancer patients we don't fight and fight.

You are saying that as if some people are too lazy and so succumb. That isn't the case. Some people have bodies that react well to treatment or can withstand the poisons and medications forced upon the body and the invasive treatments.....and some people don't. It's as simple as that.

I have defended the man and mentioned in my posts and it is annoying when people are saying on TVF they are put off by his tattoos, that is a ridiculous stance in my view and completely irrelevant. You might as well say let's not help people with piercings or any body art, a lot of which is fashionable these days and has no bearing on how a person should be viewed.

Temporary, very expensive solution.  If the NHS won't cover it, it's probably mostly ineffective. 

In order for me to feel sorry for him, I want to know--did he eat a healthy diet or fish & chips?  Did he drink excessively, up to 6 pints every night?  Did he not exercise every day?

OK, bad luck having a genetic mutation which causes cancer, but genetic risk is typically 60-70%.  That means 30-40% is your diet, exercise, exposure to cancer causing chemicals.

Did he "not worry" about all those things and now is "worrying" about the consequences of decades of poor behaviour

31 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I have said it is one of the worst types of cancer and at stage 4 the prognosis is not good. It is also in area where it can quickly spread to other organs and also it is a cancer that usually, by the time they have found it, it can be too late to operate.

You mention in one of your posts about ' fight and fight ' Well, as cancer patients we don't fight and fight.

You are saying that as if some people are too lazy and so succumb. That isn't the case. Some people have bodies that react well to treatment or can withstand the poisons and medications forced upon the body and the invasive treatments.....and some people don't. It's as simple as that.

I have defended the man and mentioned in my posts and it is annoying when people are saying on TVF they are put off by his tattoos, that is a ridiculous stance in my view and completely irrelevant. You might as well say let's not help people with piercings or any body art, a lot of which is fashionable these days and has no bearing on how a person should be viewed.

My mind set is fight, fight, fight this means every day try and get a needle removed, shower by myself, move forward one step at a time.

You posted :::

' i think

the guy is in denial. It affects different people in different ways and some are so desperate to cling to life, they will say or convince themselves of anything.'

So denial means you think he should give up...

Edited by kmj

Please understand that we are all tough guys until it hits you. You would do anything to have some extra weeks to live. I have been diagnosed with pancreatic tumour and believed I would die. 1 month I was in a state that I wish no one to experience. Just to know that the diagnosis was wrong 1 month later.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I have a very good cancer mentor assigned by Christies so you telling a man he is in ' denial ' and well with your history, what do you think... congratulations you win...

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

...  but there are medical miracles - he already had one.

Often it's placebo effect,

but as previous poster stated, misdiagnose is not uncommon.

Edited by cobra

It's the year 2021 and cancer is still a death sentence. Clearly there is still so much to unravel and discover at a cellular or even molecular level.

I wonder if a cure will be available in 3035 or 4088. Might be treatable like the common cold by then. Might even have a vaccine for it altogether.

Edited by mvdf

4 hours ago, cobra said:

Often it's placebo effect,

but as previous poster stated, misdiagnose is not uncommon.

placebo can work for pain, small medical problems, and rather on kids.

In case of cancer not so. However, sometimes long ago there was a cancer patient in new york, who after diagnosis locked himself in a hotel room and watched only comedy channel. After a few months he was cleared. 

Yes, it was me who mentioned misdiagnosis in the very same post.

It thailand it happens more often than in the west.

One of the reason can be deliberate action by a doctor to get more expensive treatments than are needed.

But in this case it was insurance paying for treatment, there is no chance they would agree with forking for stage 4 cancer, because it's against medical practice .

Probably there is something amiss from this article.

Seriously ill people might, understandably, beg for mercy by not telling everything or exaggerating their condition. Probably he was first diagnosed with stage 2 or 3, which are still treatable. And later he progressed to stage four

On 4/27/2021 at 8:32 AM, Boomer6969 said:

I have force myself to make abstraction of his tattoos, so that I can feel sympathetic.

Guess I am living in some parallel world, sorry.

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

He could have put on a shirt on for the photo and opened his eyes. 

Looking at these comments and the likes they get, says a lot about the avarage TV keyboard warrior here... you can call it comedy or sarcasm, but it is probably a side effect of daily alcohol abuse. 

Wishing the same fate to you,

With regards,

Edited by Krabi King
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Chill27 said:

None of us know how we'd react if we actually found ourselves in this dreadful situation.

I had a similar fight with NICE many years ago over the drug Herceptin for my sister. She died at 41 from breast cancer. We finally got it for her and it had miraculous initial effects, but by the time we finally got it, her cancer was too far advanced.

I admire his fighting spirit and wish him well.

It can be beaten, very rarely. The singer Chris Rea being a good example. He was diagnosed in 2008 and is still making music despite having had his pancreas completely removed.

Very sorry about your sister. Thanks for the uplifting second part. Need more positive posts such as this!

18 hours ago, barney42bb said:

People, People People.....

You need to understand this poor man's immediate needs are way down the list of UK priorities.

The Welfare Bill was £192.4 Billion last year,an increase of over £8 Billion from the previous year.

The Workshy, Criminals, Drug Addicts,Foreign Aid and Illegal immigrants... Must be accommodated/funded before the genuinely needy.

Agree. Had no option but to take my Mum to A/E at my local hospital in UK. We had to wait in a corridor whilst alcoholics and people with mental disorders? were restrained by police. The police constantly complained that we can't remain here until the doctors have examined and made their diagnosis. Have been told that at baby clinics in certain areas almost all the mothers have to have their own interpreters, all wearing NHS badges! 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

In a Thai Government hospital this would take 4 days. just saying 

Have experience of both Thai local and provincial Government hospitals. They certainly turn patients around very quickly. Excellent treatment, friendly and helpful staff.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Have experience of both Thai local and provincial Government hospitals. They certainly turn patients around very quickly. Excellent treatment, friendly and helpful staff.  

That why it took 6 months for my wife's son to get treatment for a kidney stone 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I believe that Steve Jobs declined having surgery in favour of some 'treatment' that he had found. By the time he decided to follow doctor's orders it was too late. I think this was pretty much confirmed by his sister, and by one of his friends.

does it really matter what Steve Jobs did in regards to his treatment, he was an adult capable of making his own decisions

22 minutes ago, Mike k said:

That why it took 6 months for my wife's son to get treatment for a kidney stone 

So sorry to hear that. I was going to add that they do have problems with their work-flow which seems to rely on paper circulating. Very recently twice my Thai Mrs was turned away from her appointments; 1) Radiographers instructions missing, 2) No suitably qualified doctor available until Thursday (her appointment was on Monday). However, in 1) She was permitted to see another doctor who wrote out a new set of instructions and gave them to her 'for safety'. Next appointment was only two weeks later. Waiting times in U.K. NHS were typically several months until relatively recently. Did your Thai Government hospital explain why the delay? 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:45 AM, BritManToo said:

Don't include me in your 'we', I'm OK with death.

And if you gave me 88k GBP, I'd find a better use for it than trying to extend my life another year.

How selfish would you have to be, as an old man whose life is over, to expect others to give you 88,000GBP/year to live a little longer? Better to use that money to buy milk powder to feed starving African children, etc. ................

Wait until you are in his situation. Maybe your smug reply will come back and bite you

• Like 1