Phuket foreigners told to be COVID ‘socially responsible’ or face expulsion

webfact

3 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Excellent Thai Tourism promotion

Actually, it’s an excellent promotion.  It’ll keep people that don’t want to follow the rules from coming.  

I think it’s a win-win.  

Whenever I see a post on TVF from someone saying they’re never going to Phuket or they are cancelling a trip, I just think, think about how much of a better experience it will be for everyone else that this person didn’t bring their entitled attitude.  

LOL, if the people that hate Phuket really want to harm Phuket, the best thing they could do is come to Phuket and make everyone else miserable.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, smedly said:

pointing to foreigners again 

nothing to do with your gross mishandling and lack of testing 

Reading various reports the vast majority of detected spread in Phuket and around the country is by Thai people 

This finger pointing at foreigners one minute then your desperation to open Phuket up to foreign tourists - are you for flicking real

Idiots

If there is one thing I’ve learned while living in the LOS, it’s that money is the only thing that matters.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, digibum said:

Actually, it’s an excellent promotion.  It’ll keep people that don’t want to follow the rules from coming.  

I think it’s a win-win.  

Whenever I see a post on TVF from someone saying they’re never going to Phuket or they are cancelling a trip, I just think, think about how much of a better experience it will be for everyone else that this person didn’t bring their entitled attitude.  

LOL, if the people that hate Phuket really want to harm Phuket, the best thing they could do is come to Phuket and make everyone else miserable.   

If I were a tourist I would not go where there is a dictatorship but look for other places freer to have fun without threat or if there are none I would wait for it to be released somewhere.

Edited by ICELANDMAN

40 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

British and Australian diplomats in Thailand are asslicking trash 

If I remember rightly, there was one Australian consul that did ask awkward questions. Think he's gone now. Don't know whether he jumped, or was pushed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, robert888d said:

They blame foreigners for almost everything. Unfortunately they need bloody foreign tourists for the money they bring and jobs they create.

Except it’s a model that’s worked just fine for them for multiple decades.  

People so into Thailand/Phuket that they are regulars on TVF are like drug addicts trying to tell their drug dealer that they don’t appreciate the poor customer service.  

35 minutes ago, digibum said:

That seems rather self-serving.  The fact that you are permitted into the country satisfies the requirement of acting like a host.  

Now you want them to act like good hosts, with “good” being your own personal definition.  Any failure to meet your standards automatically seems to justify any behavior on your part. 

Your logic is severely flawed but I would imagine that is because you don’t want to accept the reality that the proper response if you’re unhappy with your host is to leave. 

Your logic sounds like the type a person might use when they get caught stealing company property and then they say they’re justified in being a thief because the company didn’t give them a promotion they felt they deserved.  

Regardless of your claim, your actions are now criminal.  The company is under no legal obligation to promote you.  Yet you are legally prohibited from stealing.  

What are you going on about?

Nowhere do I comment on my behaviour, yet you automatically jump to the conclusion that it must be criminal. Great trick making a complete house with only three bricks.

My logic is fine. Ergo if there is a guest, there must be a host. That is my whole point. We don't have a host, therefore we shouldn't be considered as a guest. Do you think that Thailand travels the world trying to get "guests" to visit their country, or are they trying to attract consumers of holidays?

Maybe you should read you post first before hitting the submit reply button as you are just embarrassing yourself with the above post.

My point is that we are not guests. We are consumers of a product and like any product, we can talk about value for money or, defects with the product.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, smedly said:

pointing to foreigners again 

nothing to do with your gross mishandling and lack of testing 

Reading various reports the vast majority of detected spread in Phuket and around the country is by Thai people 

This finger pointing at foreigners one minute then your desperation to open Phuket up to foreign tourists - are you for flicking real

Idiots

It would be very hard to kick out Ths out of their own country.....

1 minute ago, ICELANDMAN said:

If I were a tourist I would not go where there is a dictatorship but look for other places freer to have fun without buildings or if there are none I would wait for it to be released somewhere.

Yet, here you are on TVF spending energy to express your views about a place you seemingly don’t like.  

You are aware that not everything can be all things to all people, right?   There are people that hate Disneyland.  

Sometimes a place just has to say, “This is our target demographic” and not care what people not in the target demo think.   

Im not sure if by saying “if I were a tourist” you are implying that you’re an expat or if you’re talking about your next vacation/holiday.  

Either way, I don’t understand expats that spew so much vile and then when you ask them why they don’t leave they say because they built a life here.  LOL.  

None of this is new.  You built your unsatisfactory life here knowing it was unsatisfactory and then you want to complain that your life is unsatisfactory.  

You’re like someone that moves to Bangkok and hates big cities.  Instead of trying to turn Bangkok into a rural farming community, move to a rural farming community.  

And I feel the same confusion about tourists that spend 10 months of the year on TVF talking about how horrible Thailand is and then they come anyway.  

Or worse, you’re the type that reads something about Phuket and you can’t wait to write about the taxi mafias and the corruption and the high prices and wah wah wah. 

LOL, how traumatized were you by Phuket that you feel a need to warn the world never to go there?  

Personally, I think Pattaya is a cesspool, but I rarely comment on Pattaya.  I don’t even read anything in the Pattaya forums.  Because I have no interest in Pattaya, I have no interest in talking about Pattaya. 

So it really amazes me, the people who obviously loathe Thailand or Phuket and either do nothing to improve their situation or feel the constant need to rant about their dissatisfaction.  

Maybe the problem isn’t Thailand.  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

What are you going on about?

Nowhere do I comment on my behaviour, yet you automatically jump to the conclusion that it must be criminal. Great trick making a complete house with only three bricks.

My logic is fine. Ergo if there is a guest, there must be a host. That is my whole point. We don't have a host, therefore we shouldn't be considered as a guest. Do you think that Thailand travels the world trying to get "guests" to visit their country, or are they trying to attract consumers of holidays?

Maybe you should read you post first before hitting the submit reply button as you are just embarrassing yourself with the above post.

My point is that we are not guests. We are consumers of a product and like any product, we can talk about value for money or, defects with the product.

Ahh, the whole, let me deflect by ignoring what you said and trying to be insulted.  

Yeah, not a new tactic online.  

I didn’t say you did anything criminal and you know that.  I simply compared you with someone that tries to justify their bad behavior by pointing out that they felt mistreated first.  

But even this fake confusion is just another manifestation of the same tactic of victim hood.  

True, but seeing as you have over 11,000 comments already, at what point are you just screaming into the wind?   

Who is the problem when they choose the wrong product over and over again?   

If you don’t like Apple products but you keep buying Apple products and complaining about the fact that you don’t like Apple products, maybe you’re the problem.  

Apple has a massive user base that loves their products.  They can’t please everyone.  Some people just shouldn’t be Apple customers.  

There’s a story I love from SouthWest Airlines about a lady who was a frequent customer but used to write to the CEO constantly and harass the airport staff because she wanted assigned seating.  Since SouthWest’s business model was built on not having assigned seating, the CEO banned her from flying on his airline.  

Her wrote her and informed her of his decision, telling her that since she was never going to be happy flying his airline, there was no point in trying to please her.  And since she had made it clear she would not be happy without assigned seating it served no logical purpose to service a customer that could not be satisfied.  

Maybe there’s a lesson in there for you.  

Phuket has said that they may deport people who don’t follow the rules.  

If you’re someone who is easily offended by blunt language or feel you should have the right to do as you please, maybe you should take your business elsewhere because Thailand doesn’t seem to be interested in changing that model.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

How much energy did you spend to answer my hypothesis if I am were a tourist and nothing more, I think you have a big problem to solve with yourself before making judgments on other TV members you don't know anything about.

Very little energy.  Don’t you worry your pretty little head for me.  

BTW, it’s not a judgement to question illogical thought processes.  

You still didn’t answer my question though. If this upsets you so greatly and this has been the norm for probably more years than you’ve been alive, why are you here or why do you keep coming?   

Thailand hasn’t changed.  It’s always been slightly xenophobic and slanted against foreigners.   

So why don’t you leave or just quit coming and move on with your life rather than hanging out on TVF?  

• Confused 2

On 4/28/2021 at 11:08 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

The meeting was for/with FOREIGN consuls and representatives on the island so of course the Thai officials would remind them to pass along the word to their nationals and other constituents. Did you happen to read that the THAI Prime Minister was fined for not wearing a mask in public? It has nothing to do with targeting any particular group of people...it's to get everyone on the same page. Even after over 20 years, I don't understand the reflexive defensiveness of so many T-V members. If you hate Thailand...leave!

It wasn't actually in public that he had no mask but a meeting with officials!

2 hours ago, digibum said:

That seems rather self-serving.  The fact that you are permitted into the country satisfies the requirement of acting like a host.  

Now you want them to act like good hosts, with “good” being your own personal definition.  Any failure to meet your standards automatically seems to justify any behavior on your part. 

Your logic is severely flawed but I would imagine that is because you don’t want to accept the reality that the proper response if you’re unhappy with your host is to leave. 

Your logic sounds like the type a person might use when they get caught stealing company property and then they say they’re justified in being a thief because the company didn’t give them a promotion they felt they deserved.  

36 minutes ago, digibum said:

Ahh, the whole, let me deflect by ignoring what you said and trying to be insulted.  

Yeah, not a new tactic online.  

I didn’t say you did anything criminal and you know that.  I simply compared you with someone that tries to justify their bad behavior by pointing out that they felt mistreated first.  

But even this fake confusion is just another manifestation of the same tactic of victim hood.  

True, but seeing as you have over 11,000 comments already, at what point are you just screaming into the wind?   

Who is the problem when they choose the wrong product over and over again?   

If you don’t like Apple products but you keep buying Apple products and complaining about the fact that you don’t like Apple products, maybe you’re the problem.  

Apple has a massive user base that loves their products.  They can’t please everyone.  Some people just shouldn’t be Apple customers.  

There’s a story I love from SouthWest Airlines about a lady who was a frequent customer but used to write to the CEO constantly and harass the airport staff because she wanted assigned seating.  Since SouthWest’s business model was built on not having assigned seating, the CEO banned her from flying on his airline.  

Her wrote her and informed her of his decision, telling her that since she was never going to be happy flying his airline, there was no point in trying to please her.  And since she had made it clear she would not be happy without assigned seating it served no logical purpose to service a customer that could not be satisfied.  

Maybe there’s a lesson in there for you.  

Phuket has said that they may deport people who don’t follow the rules.  

If you’re someone who is easily offended by blunt language or feel you should have the right to do as you please, maybe you should take your business elsewhere because Thailand doesn’t seem to be interested in changing that model.   

The company is under no legal obligation to promote you.  Yet you are legally prohibited from stealing.  

Here is the sentence from your post. "Regardless of your claim, your actions are now criminal".

Sounds like a direct accusation to me.

You think that I think I've been mistreated? Where do I imply that? Just another made-up assertion by you. There is no deflection. I have spelled out what I think numerous times now. I have explained it to you but, I can't understand for you. If you still believe it, copy and paste the sentence.

You still seem to be ignoring my whole point. I'll type slowly and put it in bold so that you at least have a chance of understanding it.

We are not guests, we are consumers.

I personally follow all the rules and have done during my 36 years of living in Phuket, but I will not swallow the "guest" rubbish espoused by too many members on here.

What has a thief and a company got to do with anything? Your mind is like a disordered junk-shop. First, try and understand the post you are commenting on and second make your answer relevant to that post.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Here is the sentence from your post. "Regardless of your claim, your actions are now criminal".

Sounds like a direct accusation to me.

You think that I think I've been mistreated? Where do I imply that? Just another made-up assertion by you. There is no deflection. I have spelled out what I think numerous times now. I have explained it to you but, I can't understand for you. If you still believe it, copy and paste the sentence.

You still seem to be ignoring my whole point. I'll type slowly and put it in bold so that you at least have a chance of understanding it.

We are not guests, we are consumers.

I personally follow all the rules and have done during my 36 years of living in Phuket, but I will not swallow the "guest" rubbish espoused by too many members on here.

What has a thief and a company got to do with anything? Your mind is like a disordered junk-shop. First, try and understand the post you are commenting on and second make your answer relevant to that post.

You can’t actually be this pedantic, can you.  If you quote that in context, I said 

2 hours ago, digibum said:

Regardless of your claim, your actions are now criminal.  The company is under no legal obligation to promote you.  Yet you are legally prohibited from stealing.  

This clearly is referring to this hypothetical situation, not you personally in regards to wearing a mask.  

I am truly hoping you’re just gaslighting because I would hate to imagine that you’re this confused in everyday life.  

You don’t like the guest analogy yet you also don’t like the paying customer analogy either.  

Let’s put it this way, what does it say on the TM7 that you take to immigration every year for an extension of stay?

”I hereby apply for …”

and

“Whether permission is granted or not, application fee is non refundable under all circumstances.”

Sounds like you’re more of a guest than a customer.  

You’re signing a document annually that says you are asking for permission to stay in Thailand.   

Do you request permission to buy products?   

12 minutes ago, digibum said:

You can’t actually be this pedantic, can you.  If you quote that in context, I said 

This clearly is referring to this hypothetical situation, not you personally in regards to wearing a mask.  

I am truly hoping you’re just gaslighting because I would hate to imagine that you’re this confused in everyday life.  

You don’t like the guest analogy yet you also don’t like the paying customer analogy either.  

Let’s put it this way, what does it say on the TM7 that you take to immigration every year for an extension of stay?

”I hereby apply for …”

and

“Whether permission is granted or not, application fee is non refundable under all circumstances.”

Sounds like you’re more of a guest than a customer.  

You’re signing a document annually that says you are asking for permission to stay in Thailand.   

Do you request permission to buy products?   

Would love to answer you, but I'm doing something far more productive and enjoyable at the moment. I'm picking the fluff out of my belly-button.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Why not ask  Colin Neil if he was  obeying the rules when he  suffered  his  horrific  injuries where the rules didn't apply to the perpetrator., the rules are selectively enforced or not  enforced in Thailand due often to incompetence or  unwillingness due to lack of  financial incentives. On top of that there is the "making up rules"  as they go along, rules for one  area but  not in another.

Excuse me, but I find your 'straw man' argument somewhat distasteful.

• Like 1

I often wonder if the social distancing and the rules for gatherings is really worth it. Before Covid I used to avoid having to go Tesco Lotus or Big C on Saturdays because they were 'family day out' venues.. I had to go to Lotus last Saturday and it was almost the same. Social distancing was out of the question and some congregated, chatting and laughing. I didn't, however, see an adult without a mask but some of the children didn't wear one. Previously in the first Covid wave the clothing section was taped out of bounds and external stalls were closed. Not so today when I shopped again at Lotus amid this variant third wave.

On 4/28/2021 at 11:38 AM, Surelynot said:

That is going to be a killer for many young UK tourists.....if they ever make it here.

Looking forward to the 2000 US on R&R I Pattaya.....that should be lively.

if it's anything like the US military visits of 20 years ago, the numbers viviting will be restricted on a daily basis and the overall impact will be minimal. 

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

Previously in the first Covid wave the clothing section was taped out of bounds and external stalls were closed. Not so today when I shopped again at Lotus amid this variant third wave.

I think those sections were roped off as a compromise.  Remember that when that happened, you were only supposed to go out for essentials.  

Food is essential.  Clothes, electronics, etc were not deemed essential.  

They could have forced the stores to remove the items but I believe this was a compromise designed to be minimally burdensome to the stores.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Why not ask  Colin Neil if he was  obeying the rules when he  suffered  his  horrific  injuries where the rules didn't apply to the perpetrator., the rules are selectively enforced or not  enforced in Thailand due often to incompetence or  unwillingness due to lack of  financial incentives. On top of that there is the "making up rules"  as they go along, rules for one  area but  not in another.

Colin Neil? I have no Idea what you are talking about. You have a simple choice wear a mask or don't wear a mask. If you don't wear a mask you get fined and possibly deported very black and white. No other perpetrator involved except yourself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2021 at 8:50 PM, webfact said:

Foreigners in Phuket caught ignoring COVID prevention measures and acting in a manner deemed to be not “socially responsible” will face legal penalties and may even face being kicked out of the country.

But, but, but, we "live" there!  Do you realize how much beer we buy? How will you guys survive without us? ????

• Haha 1