Reasonable affordable wine find.

DaLa

4 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I am drinking it now. It is really ok.

Yes, I have tried it a few times and because it is lighter in style and not very tannic, it goes very well with Thai food.

Another wine like that is one that has been mentioned on here, by Wolf Blass, and at 399 baht a bottle it represents good value, and also accompanies pizzas very well!!!!!

26 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As posted...........

Barwang. The Wall, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon;The Wall Cab Sauvignon 750ml

JJ McWilliams range of reds;2016 McWilliam's Cabernet - Merlot JJ McWilliam | Vivino

Hopes End (one of my favourites);Hopes End Red Blend | Vivino

1848 reds; Salisbury 1848 Cabernet Sauvignon | Vivino

The prices seem to vary between 399 and 450 baht a bottle, depending on where I find them. For instance the Barwang was recently on sale for 399 baht in Big C, then the price went up by about 50 baht, the same with JJ McWilliams, which I was buying for 395 baht.

I don't know where you're situated but we have a place here in Phuket called Supercheap, and it has a wine section, with two or three of these wines in it, outside of that couple of small supermarkets which have a great selection of wines keep coming to my rescue with some good prices.

I hunt around, and it keeps me occupied in these days of covid.

Thai missus loves a good red and we always hunt for a reasonable Aussie or Chilean cabsav or merlot blend.  Went off the McW wines when price shot up from 399 and now enjoying Tagua CabSav, Merlot not bad either.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, McTavish said:

Thai missus loves a good red and we always hunt for a reasonable Aussie or Chilean cabsav or merlot blend.  Went off the McW wines when price shot up from 399 and now enjoying Tagua CabSav, Merlot not bad either.

spacer.png

Thanks, I'll have a look out for it.

12 minutes ago, natway09 said:

U sure not 299 Bht.?

If 200 Bht &  if  a white wine drinker this is a great price for a quaffing wine

I was a little sceptical when I first spotted it. A quick check on the web  and then I thought even if it's priced incorrectly I'll give it a shot.  Checked at the check out and sure enough 200 baht.  299 is the cheapest I have ever seen before. Then once I tasted it and established  (in my opinion) it was better than the Thai wine I was more than ch*ffed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

The only "cheap" red wine I can get in my village is this one at 295 baht:

wine.jpg.070c6a2835fbe7a23d32397f556a4f28.jpg

I tried it once and it was drinkable but certainly nothing special.

My 'go to drink' in the Uk was wine. Cold beer is now the order of the day out here, but I like a wine occasionally for a change. I find this Rumours to be as you say nothing special.  Bearing in mind it £10 a bottle for us Brits which gets you a decent wine in the UK.   In my opinion a better example at the same price bracket is this one (Charles Strong) 

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 18.24.37.png

8 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

The only "cheap" red wine I can get in my village is this one at 295 baht:

wine.jpg.070c6a2835fbe7a23d32397f556a4f28.jpg

I tried it once and it was drinkable but certainly nothing special.

I don't know where you live, or are situated, but there are companies who will deliver wine to you, provided the minimum order is 12 bottles, and that's often what I do when I find wine I want on a wine list, and I keep an average of about 20-25 bottles in my wine fridge, so I can always stock up and I want.

I do have the wine list from a distributor based in Bangkok, but I'm not sure how far out they will deliver, but you are quite welcome to it and I can send it by PM if you wish.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

I don't know where you live, or are situated, but there are companies who will deliver wine to you, provided the minimum order is 12 bottles, and that's often what I do when I find wine I want on a wine list, and I keep an average of about 20-25 bottles in my wine fridge, so I can always stock up and I want.

I do have the wine list from a distributor based in Bangkok, but I'm not sure how far out they will deliver, but you are quite welcome to it and I can send it by PM if you wish.

Very kind, I have no issue buying 12 or 24 bottles at a time, would love to know the name of the company.

Just now, DaLa said:

My 'go to drink' in the Uk was wine. Cold beer is now the order of the day out here, but I like a wine occasionally for a change. I find this Rumours to be as you say nothing special.  Bearing in mind it £10 a bottle for us Brits which gets you a decent wine in the UK.   In my opinion a better example at the same price bracket is this one (Charles Strong) 

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 18.24.37.png

A friend of mine who likes his wine has also tried this and thinks the same as you about it. I have never tasted it, but perhaps I should as it's always good to learn more about the subject I've been studying for nigh on 50 years!!!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

These guys have several stores around Thailand.  Some of their deals are super good.  I highly recommend visiting their site.  They have specials from time to time that are really good.  But I don't "do" fruit wine.

https://www.vinestovino.com/red

Wasn't there an order by De Fuhrer a short while ago banning on line alcohol purchases, or has that been forgotten like most things here?

36 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Wine Connection has a reasonable range of decent wines

Kinda strange, innit. The climate in Thailand is ideal for growing some of the major grape varieties. Why don't they sell original Thai wine from real Thai grapes? It's just "not cool", I guess.

The only place for single-origin Thai wine that I know of is Silver Lake near Sattahip. Their red wines are quite okay, but surprisingly, their whites are exceptionally good. I just don't like their marketing bs very much.

Any hints on where else to look?

2 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Wine Connection has a reasonable range of decent wines and delivery is free for any order above ฿2,000.

They have many stores around the country - see here.

Quite often I will take the missus there for lunch (great food too!) and stock up with take-aways. None of the "no selling" between 2:00pm and 5:00pm either.

Off topic slightly but you may find some wines you might like there.

WC-wine-list-2021.pdf 108.2 kB · 4 downloads

Went to the local WC last week, they have signs saying they cannot sell between 2-5. Mrs asked if could get a drink at 2.15 no. Thought it was illegal to order over the web now? They do a great lunch for 219 baht, wine 99 baht

• Like 1

Tesco's own-brand Vineyard range is my favourite in the under B400 range, although it is not always available, probably because people clear the shelves like wot we done a couple of days ago. Not a fan of fruit wines, although I usually have a box in the fridge for emergency use, but from my experience Charles Strong is the about best of the bunch.

• Like 1

It breaks my heart when looking for wine in Bangkok or Chiang Mai and seeing the prices they charge for what would be "ordinary quaffers" here in Sydney.  I'm a regular wine consumer and am pretty much aware of most of the common brands, and the prices charged from week to week and will grab a wine on 'special' if it's good value.

There are many Oz wines on sale in Thailand that are produced solely for export and you never see them on the shelves in Australia.  HARDY'S make many budget wines, most of which I see on the shelves in Top's, Villa, Big C and Rimping Supermarkets in BKK and CNX.

Usually, when in Thailand, and having a drink on a hot late afternoon drink on the farm,  I find a cheap Chilean White in Big C or Macro (they're Sukhothai's 'finest' wine outlets) and mix it with Soda Water.  This (of course) dilutes the 'rough' taste but also makes the bottle last longer.

When in CNX I find that the big half wooden barrels full of bottles in Rimping have wines on special for 250 Baht+ .

A much better choice than Sukhothai!   Of course, when I'm back in the 'big smoke' and walk up those stairs into the Villa Wine room I'm as excited as a paedo at a Wiggles Concert!

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Any favorites? Any good ones, of basic chugging wines? I have a nearly impossible time finding a good wine here, for under 1,000 baht. Would rather buy a bottle of El Jimador Reposado tequila at the Gourmet Market liquor store for 1,200.

I find the McGuigans red quite nice in BigC, 499B

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Nakdontree said:

The only place for single-origin Thai wine that I know of is Silver Lake near Sattahip. Their red wines are quite okay, but surprisingly, their whites are exceptionally good. I just don't like their marketing bs very much.

Silverlake is only 15 mins from my home and my wife and I dine there quite a lot. Here's a photo I took there a couple of weeks ago.

1843845964_SilverlakeSunset.jpg.b669674a426dc28c0b38ee43b88869d5.jpg

Their Sauvignon Blanc is quite a nice wine, but it is not "single-origin Thai wine". At 699 THB per bottle it is an affordable and tasty complimentary wine to a nice meal there.

From their FaceBook page:

ALC Content : 12.5% VOL : 750 ML Recommend Temperature : 8-12 C Awarded : Bronze Medal at Hongkong International Wine Competition 2016 Taste : Dry / Aroma of Apple / Apricots Food Pairing : Appetizers / Salad / Seafood / Fish Available at : Silverlake Vineyard, Pattaya / Foodland Supermarket (Nationwide) Grape Variety : Sauvignon Blanc from Silverlake Australia Blended & Bottling : Thailand

• Thanks 2

On 4/28/2021 at 7:34 AM, spidermike007 said:

Any favorites? Any good ones, of basic chugging wines? I have a nearly impossible time finding a good wine here, for under 1,000 baht. Would rather buy a bottle of El Jimador Reposado tequila at the Gourmet Market liquor store for 1,200.

Picked up a few bottles today; a 2018 Marborough Pinot Noir (Indevin) 235 baht; which I envisage to use for cooking purpose, a 2017 Soave Superiore Classico(Cantina di Monteforte) 270 baht; which might actually be drinkable, a Prosecco(Cantine Maschio) 280 baht and a Moscatel de Valencia. 225 baht. No 'fruit wine'.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2021 at 7:52 PM, Eindhoven said:

Picked up a few bottles today; a 2018 Marborough Pinot Noir (Indevin) 235 baht; which I envisage to use for cooking purpose, a 2017 Soave Superiore Classico(Cantina di Monteforte) 270 baht; which might actually be drinkable, a Prosecco(Cantine Maschio) 280 baht and a Moscatel de Valencia. 225 baht. No 'fruit wine'.

Lucky man, as I was only just informed of the Tesco Lotus clearance of wines yesterday, so shot along to my big local Tesco Lotus store and managed to pick up just a few bottles left, for a friend of mine, but I did see my favourite sweet dessert wine, the Moscatel de Valencia on special at 225 baht (as you say) so I bought the last three bottles of that.

I previously bought the Châteauneuf du Papes on special at 875 baht, but even for that price it was a poor example (IMO) of what that wine should be like, however I'm wondering what the Margaux will be reduced to, as would like to try it.

Will have to pay a few visits to keep an eye on this!

On 4/28/2021 at 5:35 PM, xylophone said:

I did try some homebrew once and it was very reasonable, coming from one of those kits, but as you say once the Dover to Calais and Newhaven to Dieppe trips became commonplace, then a day out buying cheese and wine and other whatnots in France, became the norm for me........and many others I suspect!!

Maybe around that time I was on holiday in Portugal. Down a side street I noticed a smallish wine wholesalers/shop. Couldn't believe a five litre container of vino (red) could be bought for three euros!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Maybe around that time I was on holiday in Portugal. Down a side street I noticed a smallish wine wholesalers/shop. Couldn't believe a five litre container of vino (red) could be bought for three euros!

I drove to France once and went to a supermarket called Auchan, or something like that. I was gobsmacked by the wine prices. In Scotland now they have minimum prices per unit of alcohol, some of the prices for drinks are outrageous. I don't drink it, but there's a very cheap and strong white cider called Frosty Jacks. On the bottle is printed the price of £2.99 but back in Scotland it costs over £11, purely because of the alcohol content.

• Thanks 1