My Wife is not Thai. What happens when I'm Brown Bread?

10 hours ago, Shackleton123 said:

Our rent is 30,000 per month, I'd love to find a suitable place to rent for less. But she is 34, years old and so is sixteen years from retirement age. As was so astutely pointed out here is all expats are visitors only, and at the mercy of the Immigration Service.  I do see what people are saying about buying, and I tend to agree. When I croak, she would have to sell, and that could take eons.

Or she could live here for part of the year and spend the rest elsewhere, maybe Vietnam, or her home country 

22 hours ago, connda said:

Same advice to you.  Line up some potential male Thai friends who are marriageable.  She wouldn't need two satang to rub together to stay.  Marry a Thai guy and she's on the road to citizenship.

She's not a big fan of Thai men, but thanks for the advice.

On 4/28/2021 at 4:56 AM, Shackleton123 said:

We married in Hawaii while I was on leave. She is Kiribati (we have no children) and we lived in the UK because I'm Irish, and therefore an EU Citizen, so my wife was welcome in the UK no matter what her nationality. We came here to work, and while we were here, the UK left the EU, so my wife is no longer able to live in the UK without a very expensive Visa (non refundable if refused) 

We could go anywhere in the EU (except Ireland of course) and be welcome without Visas.

But this is a nice place, and I hoped we could stay, and she could stay beyond my time.

I appreciate the information chaps, thank you one and all.

This is more curiosity than anything.

But, if you are an Irish citizen why would you say 'except Ireland of course'

Now I know there are some complex issues with people holding Irish and UK passports while never having lived in Ireland, God knows I hold a US & Mexican passport, but I've never lived in Mexico, but wouldn't good backup plan be to move to Ireland, just in case.

I sense a move back to Kiribati isn't an option, so what are the options?

Thai elite, some form of immigration gymnastics, she's got a long way to go before she could do a retirement extension, so you have some difficult decisions.

You have no children, so family support is something else to consider.

I always know that should I depart this mortal coil ahead of my wife, our son, and my daughters, even my ex wife actually, would always be there to support her.

Where do you have family who could be there for her? Is there a support structure in Thailand, which might make those immigration gymnastics worthwhile?

Sorry that's probably more questions than answers, but many things to consider.

• 1 month later...

I chose to build. I have an old school friend who is married to a Thai lady and they have lots of land. He is leasing a plot to me, and supervising the build. I use an Agent for all dealings with Immigration including 90 days as well as retirement extensions because of a ton of difficulties without a single case of deviation from the rules. One time Immigration stapled someone else's notification of address in to my passport, and since it was in Thai, and had the correct return date on it, I never knew until I returned for the next 90 days. It became somehow my fault, and I got fined. That's when I appointed an Agent for all things from then on. Long story short, my agent told me not to worry.

On 4/30/2021 at 4:10 PM, GinBoy2 said:

This is more curiosity than anything.

But, if you are an Irish citizen why would you say 'except Ireland of course'

Now I know there are some complex issues with people holding Irish and UK passports while never having lived in Ireland, God knows I hold a US & Mexican passport, but I've never lived in Mexico, but wouldn't good backup plan be to move to Ireland, just in case.

I sense a move back to Kiribati isn't an option, so what are the options?

Thai elite, some form of immigration gymnastics, she's got a long way to go before she could do a retirement extension, so you have some difficult decisions.

You have no children, so family support is something else to consider.

I always know that should I depart this mortal coil ahead of my wife, our son, and my daughters, even my ex wife actually, would always be there to support her.

Where do you have family who could be there for her? Is there a support structure in Thailand, which might make those immigration gymnastics worthwhile?

Sorry that's probably more questions than answers, but many things to consider.

Well Ireland is still in the EU, and so have freedom of movement. I have an EU passport as an Irish National. When we arrived in the UK the UK was also in the EU, which meant any EU Citizen was free to live and work in the UK, and bring his dependants no matter what their Nationality, and vice versa of course. This Treaty of Rome free movement thing is for workers going anywhere in the EU with their families, except of course their own country. Hence I couldn't take her to live in Ireland, but could in the UK, or Germany, Italy, France etc. I would need a Visa to live in Kiribati with all that entails, might as well stay here (It's much more developed) We could of course go anywhere in the EU (so long as we were self sufficient) with no Visas required. In the end we chose to build here on leased land owned by a friend, and get my Visa Agent to arrange my wife's Visa, post my being brown bread. 

On 4/28/2021 at 2:35 PM, ubonjoe said:

He extension ends on the day he passes on. But unless she tells immigration she could stay until it expires.

Only a extension based upon marriage to a Thai remains valid.

Don't count on this.  With two recent foreigner deaths in our building Chiang Mai Immigration showed up along with the police.  Don't know who called them.  

Also, I suspect that if a widow tried what UJ is recommending and simply "didn't tell" immigration that her husband had died she might find herself hit with a big overstay fine when she next went to Immigration without her husband.  Perhaps even deported and blacklisted.  Of course, a good agent could work around this, but best to be proactive and not coast along thinking Immigration is going to be kind to a widow.