ThaiChana (Covid Tracking App)-anyone using it?

WaveHunter

I just loading this app on my iphone because apparently the MorChana app I had downloaded before no longer works.

I thought this new app would simply track your gps coordinates to inform you if you are entering in a Covid "high risk" area but when opened the app ask to scan a QR code, which seem different than the way the MorChan app worked.

Like the MorChana app it has a fairly dismal feedback rating.  Is anyone actually using it or is it just a waste of time as the MorCHana app proved to be?

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

So what's Thaichana for?

Thaichanna is what you use to scan all those QR codes you see everywhere.

morchanna tracks your location everywhere and uses bluetooth to keep track of when you are near any other users.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Thaichanna is what you use to scan all those QR codes you see everywhere.

morchanna tracks your location everywhere and uses bluetooth to keep track of when you are near any other users.

Oh, I remember now.

Sorry I was confused. 

Probably because both apps don't seem to work anyway on my phone.

As for the QR codes,  Thais told me to just hold my mobile in front of them (no app opened).  The same people who buy medicine to get well, and it never occurs to them to put the medicine into their mouth and swallow it.

Well, MorChana app is not working on my iPhone now whereas it worked perfectly several weeks ago (the last time I used it).  Now when I open it, the start up screens shows for about 1 minute and then vanishes.  I saw there was an update so I downloaded that but same behavior.  I deleted app and reinstalled...same behavior.  Anyone have any advice?

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Well, MorChana app is not working on my iPhone...UPDATE:  Tried to reinstall a 3rd time, and it's working fine now ????  Just so everybody knows, there was a software update recently so you should probably update the app if you haven't already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

Why would you want to do that?  Being alerted to having recently been in a location which turned out to be a hotspot should, at the very least, make you more cautious about mixing with vulnerable people and possibly infecting them.  As a bonus you may catch your own symptoms earlier.

Pressing the Thai Chana app button and scanning the QRC takes no more effort.

Too many paranoid people out there.

35 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I am saying too many paranoid people out there that DONT use the app for what ever reason.\. I am happy to use it and keep myself and others safe.

I've been using it and it works well. It seems from the latest news that we will have to use the Morchanna app to register for our free vaccinations next month.

I haven't installed the ThaiChana app on my phone. If and when I'm asked to scan a ThaiChana QR code, which happens occasionally when entering a shopping center, my phone opens the web version of ThaiChana in my browser, which works fine and satisfies the requirement.

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

Why would you want to do that?  Being alerted to having recently been in a location which turned out to be a hotspot should, at the very least, make you more cautious about mixing with vulnerable people and possibly infecting them.  As a bonus you may catch your own symptoms earlier.

Pressing the Thai Chana app button and scanning the QRC takes no more effort.

Hotspots are published in the Thai news. I know the time and date of what shops ive visited.

I prefer not to intentionally install spying apps on my phone, china already has enough on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used it in the first wave when it was required (or alternatively fill out your phone number on a list) but discontinued when the situation eased. In the beginning of the 3rd wave I started using it again, but soon gave up as it seemed nobody checked in and then it won't help if I do.

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Not prepared to use it as it could result in being totally unnecessarily banged up in field hospital or hospitel. If I was allowed to quarantine at home then yes I would use it but until then I will join the ranks of those waving their unregistered mobiles in the general direction of the scanner.

My sentiments exactly, used it for a year until last week.

• Like 2

Regarding hacking cellphones I'm not certain if it is a problem in Thailand. There was some mention of Bluetooth being used for this app. Keeping Bluetooth open in public, is the easiest, most popular method hackers use to gain access you your cellphone. Quite dangerous.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/android-bluetooth-hack

https://freelearningtech.in/bluetooth-hacking-how-to-hack-bluetooth-device/

You can use Thai Cahna through Line app without downloading anything. Just go to add contact, QR and click on the QR code, it will open in browser.

That said nobody out where I am seems to do it anymore so neither do I.

It records the places where you sign in and out with it and the date/time. (if you use it). It does not track you via GPS like Mor Chana. And if you use it through Line app as I described doesn't take up memory or drain battery. Mor Chana did both, I installed once when required to for something and then uninstalled right afterwards.

2 hours ago, Aomelia said:

Thanks for keeping us safe lol

It's not a safe world.  But nowadays everyone is freaking out about being safe. 
I remember hiding under a desk in 1962 at the direction of our school's teachers to keep me safe from a potential atomic blast <laughs>. Yeah.  Living on a base with B-52s and KC-97s during the Cuban Missile Crisis.   Even at the tender age of 10, that exercise in futility wasn't lost on me.  It shaped me as a person.  Which is a person who points out the absurdities of the world and laughs.  It doesn't necessarily make you popular, but I'm not the one who is fearfully fretting neither.  <Waves Smartphone in an faraday bag at MC QR code and makes "bing" sound> "Bing" <enters store>.  <laughs>  What a wonderful time for dark, gallows humor.  What a time to be alive!!!

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

If and when I'm asked to scan a ThaiChana QR code, which happens occasionally when entering a shopping center, my phone opens the web version of ThaiChana in my browser, which works fine and satisfies the requirement.

What phone.  "Mai mee torasap."  Ain't got a phone. 
"No can enter!"
Fine my me.  It's a big world with lots of stores. 
If push comes to shove I can obtain virtually every commodity I need within a 5 km radius of my home in the rural boondocks.  And Auntie Tong could give a rip, doesn't have a QR code hanging anywhere in the open-air market (Fresh Air ????), and wears a mask on her neck.  There are always options.

• Like 1