One dead/51 others infected from Thai justice minister's Songkran restaurant party

webfact

5 minutes ago, Mr International Travrler said:

It appears that laws don't apply to the military controlled government, just like in Myanmar 

Apart from the laws of physics.

I see none of them has successfully jumped out of an aeroplane without a parachute yet.

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

teenage pretties don't die from covid, but elderly wifes might.

it wasn't sex party, just songkran do

How you know teenage pretties don't die from covid ?? Every age people can die from covid even pregnant woman . Has nothing to do with age .  I hope not to many teenage pretties read your quote otherwise they will be partying very soon because they think they cannot die anyway . 

The great (small) "general in charge" just stated yesterday that it was the peoples fault for this 3rd wave spreading over Songkran.  He, and his gov, won't take responsibility for any of their own actions or inactions.  

There was another smaller party by Army personal (and Prettys) in CM where at least 40 positive cases came from that were never reported (that I've seen).  Never showed up in the province Covid numbers either.

How many more smaller military parties are not being reported on?

• Thanks 2

They may get some things right, this  was not one of them.

Inconsiderate, stupid, lack of commonsense selfish &  for a man in his  (ex position I hope) should not be tolerated & charged with ladyslaughter.

But it does show the societr problems that the PM faces with the upper class who need chaining to the bed at this time

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Yes, and like the other govt minister who denied he'd been to the Krystal probably refuse to give out a timeline. They just lie because they know they can get away with it. And they do get away with it over and over, in part because those who are supposed to protect against this corruption are as corrupt and broken (as was shown by the infamous watch case).

Just part of their culture that Thais are so proud of. Thailan number 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And here I  was thinking I would read about minister who get fired or who had the backbone to take responsibility for irresponsible act. This is why the Thai people have no respect for government and its lackeys. Everyone can make mistake, but it is true leader who owns the mistake and does the right thing.

Sorry to say, but this is big clear message about this administration. The supreme leader is missing in action. He had a duty to fire this irresponsible minister and did not. What other dishonest activity are they covering up?

12 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

And here I  was thinking I would read about minister who get fired or who had the backbone to take responsibility for irresponsible act. This is why the Thai people have no respect for government and its lackeys. Everyone can make mistake, but it is true leader who owns the mistake and does the right thing.

Sorry to say, but this is big clear message about this administration. The supreme leader is missing in action. He had a duty to fire this irresponsible minister and did not. What other dishonest activity are they covering up?

The whole Coup was a dishonest act so start there.

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Like the Cambodian head of the police this justice minister should be imprisoned. Two countries, different rules for law breakers. Violating the Emergency rules and decree measures put in place falls on deaf ears here unless your a student protestor then LM applies. Sad.

Emergency decree rules only apply to the peons not hiso's or the government 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I am surprised that the media actually got to report on this, why isn't there any other ministers or government officials trying to quash this as usual ?

I follow the central government daily COVID briefings, and I'm pretty sure they didn't make any mention of this, certainly not in terms it being linked to a party for the Justice Minister.

Notice the one person quoted in the article is a local province health official, not anyone from the central government folks in BKK.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

One woman died in Bangkok as a direct result of attending the Songkran party on April 12th at The Tree cafe. 

Previously ten cases were reported including the death. 

Yesterday Dr Pongphol Worapani of the Sukhothai department of public health said the cluster had caused far more infections,, reported Daily News

There were 21 infections directly related to attendees at the party and these included 18 being treated in the province.

One was the owner of the restaurant who then infected 31 members of his own family. 

There are going to be some top selling Thai ghost movies in a few years.

If there is still a Thailand, and movies, in a few years. 

6 hours ago, lavender19 said:

True and yet we had the dict saying yesterday that the public was to blame for the third wave.. Hypocrites

Of course.  These Lo-Sos live all crowded together, share food, hug each other and whatnot.  How dare they?  It's all their fault for not practicing social distancing.

image.png.9b6429f9b666968f0f4dee6fc64b7dc0.png

15 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

Well if you are going to go and party during a pandemic outbreak, there isn’t much to complain about really.

I don't know if that happened in this case but you could spread it to someone who was never there and is completely innocent. 

So if this party had taken place in some government members place in say Bangkok, and 50 some 

members of the government were infected, would this story have made the news?  I guess I was just

having a speculation of the government getting more personally involved with COVID, as in real personal.

Wonder if it will happen sometime on the future?

Geezer

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

People have known for over a year to avoid large public/private gatherings (and not to organize them) and that they should wear masks if attending them too. All these recommendations seem to be violated here so not a lot of sympathy from me. Just hope those not at the party and infected from spread is limited by these clowns behavior.

They were violated because of the "it won't happen to me. I know those people and they are safe" attitude. I have seen similar cases here in Bangkok, but not on the same scale.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, petedk said:

They were violated because of the "it won't happen to me. I know those people and they are safe" attitude. I have seen similar cases here in Bangkok, but not on the same scale.

Yep those people see Covid and they say to it "Do you now who I am, you can not infect me, I am so and so"

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think he may have left the building already as there has been a watchman sighting of someone trying to sell watches.

image.png.89393f4b6a9f4f5d4367fcb5a62378c4.png

'he may have left the building already '   Are you getting confused with Elvis?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Apart from the laws of physics.

I see none of them has successfully jumped out of an aeroplane without a parachute yet.

Oh I don't know, I'm sure that most if not all of them have glinting "jump wings" pinned on their beloved dress uniforms.

I'm also sure that very few if any will have ever actually strapped a parachute on to their backs, hung several tens of kilos of stuff around their bodies and waddled along the fuselage before launching themselves out of an aircraft door at a 1000 feet or so!

So logic dictates that they must have jumped without a parachute!

• Haha 1

It will be a sad, if not unexpected, comment on the state of governance in this country if this collection of self entitled, wealthy scofflaws, both at this party and at various other "VIP" events which if not the primary cause have done so much to fuel the current wave of infections through their reckless stupidity, walk away without sanction or repercussions for their behaviour. I expect they will, stopping en route no doubt to receive one of the scarce vaccinations which their VIP status entitles them to!

• Like 1

If the group photo of the OP was made at this actual event then some seriously brain-dead actions were being taken by the group.

If the OP group photo was from a pre-covid similar event and the group was actually wearing masks and social distancing during the infection event, then my hypothesis that the cheep, paper medical/surgical masks (which most people wear out of lower perceived cost and probable ignorance) are ineffective in protecting against this or any viral/bacterial as well as protection against inhaling PM2.5 particulate air pollution by their very design.

For a comment regarding the 12 years of my wearing respirator style 0.2 micron filter masks as a protection against air pollution as well as some level of viral/bacterial protection go HERE.

10 minutes ago, Walkabout said:

It is not only in Thailand that we can find people of responsibility not following their (sometimes own) Covid-19 rules. There are many examples in the U.K., in the European countries, in the the U.S.A.  . . .

Very true, I know of at least a couple high profile incidents in the UK where rules have been broken. The difference however is that they were immediately jumped on by the press and opposition peers with them having to give public explanations as to why it happened. 

The situation we have here is very different, the Justice Minister is responsible for this large outbreak and a death through his actions, I've never seen anything on par with that in the west. The press here has not jumped on it apart from one Thai media website and I've no doubt there will be any public apology or even acknowledgement this even happened.

• Thanks 1