Dancing out of COVID and into debt

1 minute ago, BenDeCosta said:

Please elaborate!

I could, but I would probably be banned from this site. And I worked hard at my good standing here!

OK: here is one: Moored to the quay in Falmouth I was extensively, but I mean extensively, questioned by Customs and Excise about bringing any soft drugs in to the country, what with me coming from Amsterdam. When I gently pointed out that not 20 meters away from us people were enjoying some good grade dope outside the cafe they retorted that this had nothing to do with it.

I was then subjected to a 5 hour search, including a diver!

On another occasion I saw a guy being chased out of a pub by someone twice his size, who then proceeded beating him to pulp - I am talking boots stamped in face -  with 20 onlookers doing exactly nothing. My girlfriends saved me by hanging on to me , physically stopping me from interfering.

I can go on and on, things that would NOT happen in the Netherlands.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bullie said:

I could, but I would probably be banned from this site. And I worked hard at my good standing here!

OK: here is one: Moored to the quay in Falmouth I was extensively, but I mean extensively, questioned by Customs and Excise about bringing any soft drugs in to the country, what with me coming from Amsterdam. When I gently pointed out that not 20 meters away from us people were enjoying some good grade dope outside the cafe they retorted that this had nothing to do with it.

I was then subjected to a 5 hour search, including a diver!

On another occasion I saw a guy being chased out of a pub by someone twice his size, who then proceeded beating him to pulp - I am talking boots stamped in face -  with 20 onlookers doing exactly nothing. My girlfriends saved me by hanging on to me , physically stopping me from interfering.

I can go on and on, things that would NOT happen in the Netherlands.

You bloody cloggies and your boats, hahaha. Thanks for the story.

Holland or whatever you call it is, in my opinion, a better place to live than the UK.

Just stop putting mayonnaise on your chips, you neanderthals. I'm Scottish, so if it ain't deep fried then it ain't going in my belly. Deep fried Stornoway black pudding is mana from heaven.

Edited by BenDeCosta

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I thought the current death rates caused by COVID in heavily infected countries were 0.15%/year.

If you believe it to be 1%, 7x the rate I have read about, I'd like a link please.

With your whole family infected and already recovered you should be better informed. Here you go:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Edited by hanuman2543
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Are you really suggesting that a nation of 70 million try to achieve natural herd immunity? How many dead would you consider an acceptable number?

0.2 %! To save the society...

I'm in a risk group though. If I should die, I have done enough Tum Bun for my next life, havn't I...? I trust Nature.

Cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Danderman, don't believe everything you read online. This is an odd situation and certainly not what it appears to be.

Ahh, so the data that is factual is all false. Ok then.

There is a very good reason why the data shows younger people are taking bigger proportion of ICU and hospital bed and it is common sense: Because of prioritization of vaccination in the countries and ongoing prevention measures, the people who were most likely to be seriously ill are partially protected against the new more infectious variants.

And who is not likely to be partially vaccinated? Under age 40. In data reported from vaccinating countries, the under 40 now are taking an increasing share of hospitalizations.  The EU, UK, USA, Canada have been vaccinating at risk groups and had they not done so, the 3rd wave would have sliced through the older population in more serious manner. People who are not  vaccinated are mostly under age 40 so that is who is most likely to become  seriously ill now. 

Thailand is in for India experience if it does not get vaccinating people fast and keep  restrictions in effect.

Edited by Patong2021
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

You bloody cloggies and your boats, hahaha. Thanks for the story.

Holland or whatever you call it is, in my opinion, a better place to live than the UK.

Just stop putting mayonnaise on your chips, you neanderthals. I'm Scottish, so if it ain't deep fried then it ain't going in my belly. Deep fried Stornoway black pudding is mana from heaven.

My dog died instantly after eating it.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

So just how many "excess" deaths has covid caused? I know that 3 million have been "labelled" as covid deaths, but a significant proportion of those would have died without being infected with covid. The problem is that for both of us, we can never be sure that the figures are accurate. I respect your opinion on this matter but you shouldn't trust any of the stories and figures that are being put out about this virus. It should be your duty to question what is going on rather than blindly believing the absolute guff that you are being spoon-fed.

Finally some common sense!!!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Here... nothing works as predicted and I guess that if things weren't going well and there would be a boom in housing and cars for sale that the prices would actually go up rather than down...

Been here nearly 2o years and it still is a mystery the way Thais think...

Go figure...????

My favorite subject again.

Prices go up. The mindset is that they think a buyer needs the item, and the seller is short cash, so the asking price rises.

Lowering the selling price is a loss of face, even if the seller only knows it themselves, basically admitting they have been defeated by the financial difficulty they are in.

That's why haggling for goods and services only works if you are nice (or speak thai). You are basically telling the seller it's ok to lose face a little and giving some of your face to them in exchange for a discount.

If you haggle without the face exchange, it won't work, even if they need the money.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Nobody is ever going to convince you. Just keep your tin foil hat on and live in your own lil world. Its madness to think that countries would voluntarily destroy their economy. This is just the least worst of a lot of bad alternatives. Nothing good about this but the alternative is worse. A lot smarter people then you have seen this and acted.

Nobody wants to destroy an economy if there is a better alternative. As for stats of India and Brazil, these are just official numbers, the real numbers are far higher. They did an scientific study in a the most populous province in Brazil. The numbers were 100% worse then really reported. (im sure you wont believe that study either)

"Nobody wants to destroy an economy"???...really???...just take a look at who's benefitted tremendously during this last year!!!...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I thought the current death rates caused by COVID in heavily infected countries were 0.15%/year.

If you believe it to be 1%, 7x the rate I have read about, I'd like a link please.

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You are correct, the overall death rate in countries with restrictions is about 0.15% so far.

Definitions :

Mortality rate = % of entire population dying of COVID (i.e population 1000, 20 with COVID, 1 dies) = 1/1000 = 0.1%.

Fatality rate = % of people infected with COVID who are then dying (i.e population 1000, 20 with COVID, 1 dies) = 1/20 = 5%

Fatality rates are running around 1.5-3.0%.(I picked 3 major developed countries with extensive testing programmes) Variances arise on over-under reporting.

Lots of cases were not tested and identified  in the first wave, so this is probably overstated, although waves two and three were larger and tested much more accurately. Let's say the probable number might be in the range of 1.0-2.5%.

Mortality rates are running around 0.10-0.19% for the same 3 major developed countries. This is exactly because they have taken actions to reduce the spread of the virus throughout the wider population.

You can do the maths on a predicted 1.0-2.5% fatality rate trying to achieve herd immunity across an entire national population...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Hmmm I really wonder about how badly Thais are into debt right now. Back home when there is an economical crisis the first indicator that things aren't going so well is I can see cars going up for sale at a decent price... and the housing market sees a sudden boom in available hoses and it becomes a buyer's market. Here... nothing works as predicted and I guess that if things weren't going well and there would be a boom in housing and cars for sale that the prices would actually go up rather than down...

Been here nearly 2o years and it still is a mystery the way Thais think...

Go figure...????

I think the government has ordered the banks to cease all repossessions on loan defaults, so the can will just get kicked further down the road. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Several members of my wife's family are in serious trouble financially. One guy who lives a few doors down is 3 months behind on his car payments. I know a girl who lives about 15km away who is having the family house and land repossessed by the bank, so the whole family is effectively about to become homeless. I know another girl in the next village who has pawned all her jewelry and everything of value from the house and has no work and is in dire straits. I've had many people in our village ask to borrow small amounts of money. I think the situation is getting worse by the day.

I've always been a saver, and put away as much money as I could. However, if you asked what I was saving for, I never would have said "in case there's a viral pandemic that would cause the whole world to effectively shut down for 1-2 years". It is just such a weird situation.

Many Thais borrow locally for short term cash flow... this Covid has go on for so long they've got deeper & deeper into debt... for those who borrowed from the banks, that could be even worse than the sharks.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You're actually 100% wrong,

All advances are made by those scientists who disagree with the majority.

Sure mate how often do these guys come along with discoveries like Copernicus. Please some examples. I would say in most cases scientist build on what those before them discovered. So give me some examples to prove your point. Ill give you examples where science build on its own foundation. (that is what is normal)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Sure mate how often do these guys come along with discoveries like Copernicus. Please some examples. I would say in most cases scientist build on what those before them discovered. So give me some examples to prove your point. Ill give you examples where science build on its own foundation. (that is what is normal)

The problem now is that we can't even trust the scientists. Look at SAGE in the UK, the so-called experts who are advising the government. They have been completely wrong every time they say something. The whole situation stinks. The poor have gotten poorer and lost their businesses whilst the rich have gotten richer.

Just now, BenDeCosta said:

The problem now is that we can't even trust the scientists. Look at SAGE in the UK, the so-called experts who are advising the government. They have been completely wrong every time they say something. The whole situation stinks. The poor have gotten poorer and lost their businesses whilst the rich have gotten richer.

No BJ was wrong he was the one opening up at times the experts said he should not. Anyway we can trust experts and scientists. But your neither. (lets not go OT about the UK it will be deleted)

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, robblok said:

No BJ was wrong he was the one opening up at times the experts said he should not. Anyway we can trust experts and scientists. But your neither. (lets not go OT about the UK it will be deleted)

You don't need to trust me and I am not asking you to do so. I am airing my opinion, and if you don't agree with it then I respect your point of view. Everyone should be allowed to have their opinion without being called names.

Even flat-earthers, of course I am a scientist so I know what I think about these people privately. But they are a person just like me and if that's what they want to believe, then they should be allowed to have that view. And they should be allowed to go about their business without being castigated for it, maybe in the future when they become more educated they will change their opinions.

You should never attack people because they hold views that go against your own. Maybe, just maybe, the people that you think are idiots will be right about something and you'll be wrong.

There are literally billions of people on this planet who believe things that I think are illogical and even farcical, but I would never call them names for it, indeed I respect their right to believe what they want.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Thanks 1