Weird Attack

Formaleins

Last week I was out driving, mid afternoon and suddenly I had this massive pain shoot up the top left of my head, near the back of my head. Then it was something like the Exorcist, my head began to shake from left to right at a really fast speed, uncontrollable, to the point where I could not even see the road! (Scared the hell out of me) I could not see the road or traffic, but managed to pull over and stopped. Took me almost one hour before I felt able to drive. Never had anything like this before, scared me quite a bit. Hospital wasn't interested (Govt.) I had a headache for 5 days, especially if I moved my head quickly. Had problems balancing in the shower if I closed my eyes. having to roll back and forth on the balls of my feet and eventually having to prop myself on a wall when my eyes are closed. Eyes open, no problem.

Had high BP for 30 years, currently taking aspirin 81mg per day, been on Thai Clinic BP meds but they are useless. any ideas? I also now have problems with one of my legs, cannot walk these days, massive calf pain in one leg, where before I was a cross country runner!

Just getting the runaround from the clinics and hospitals. Yes, I smoke and drink...... don't we all, When we clear this affliction up maybe I can post a photo of this "second" head that has decided to start growing out of my right elbow recently and online diagnose this affliction too? Jesus, getting old is not really that much fun is it?

Edited by Formaleins

You need a thorough evaluation by a neurologist. And probably some scans (CT or MRI, with contrast). The sooner the better.

Where in Thailand do you live and which hospitals did you go to so far and seen by what type of doctor?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You need a thorough evaluation by a neurologist. And probably some scans (CT or MRI, with contrast). The sooner the better.

Where in Thailand do you live and which hospitals did you go to so far and seen by what type of doctor?

Been to the local Govt. Hospital, did nothing, told me I probably pulled a muscle. I am in Chiang Mai, however, I feel totally fine the last few days, headache is gone, did a few "STROKE" tests, droopy smile, droopy arm, not a problem. I just feel you get milked like a cow from these "Doctors" here. My main concern is that recently I have found myself feeling like I am drowning, cannot get any air, not sure if it is some panic attack or something real but it is absolutely terrifying.

25 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Had high BP for 30 years, currently taking aspirin 81mg per day, been on Thai Clinic BP meds but they are useless. any ideas?

I would get the brain scanned, it sounds like you're describing what's known as a 'thunderclap headache' which can have some very serious causes.

High blood pressure should be treated to the point where your blood pressure is no longer high - it can be done but this sounds like it's not directly related - but of course it could be the indirect cause.

I would want to rule out some kind of aneurysm.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

I would get the brain scanned, it sounds like you're describing what's known as a 'thunderclap headache' which can have some very serious causes.

High blood pressure should be treated to the point where your blood pressure is no longer high - it can be done but this sounds like it's not directly related - but of course it could be the indirect cause.

I guess they can do a brain scan, but what to do if the outcome is a bit gloomy? I am not going to be paying these doctors millions  to keep me alive. I have a "limited" budget with a family to support, do yo reckon they will give you the bullet in the head when you need it?

• Confused 1

Recommend a FULL Baseline Medical Exam over two days at a Private Hospital (Brain MRI, Heart CAT Bloods, Urine, XRays). possible brain tumour ordiabetes, with symptoms you describe.....

taking Exam medical advice, you MUST cut the drugs,booze and cigs and switch to a plant based diet with suitable exercise. Otherwise, you are clearly heading over a cliff healthwise. IMMEDIATE ACTION !

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The second thing you mention could indeed be a panic attack. Probably unrelated to the first episode mentioned (other than worry about one may have cuased the other) but there is a  small chance  boith are due to a brain tumor.

As already stated, the attack in your first post needs further investigation.  Recommended neurologists in CM include:

Prof. Surat Tanprawate at Sripat

Dr Nantawat Lerkittipat at Rajavej

You will need to have scans and being told that will not mean they are "milking" you. It is what they need to know what is going on in your brain.

Thank you!

you sound in really bad shape, like all unreformed drinkers / smokers / druggers, and maybe in imminent danger......at the very least just go your nearest private hospital  for the standard thai basic scope / lowest cost medical for 3,000 baht......they all do it....... that should indicate any issues for doctor - recommended ( your choice) further tests....... full medical will cost 50-60k with MRI & CAT ......you can compare prices & scopes;  but likely to catch any & ALL potentially terminal or serious diseases..any treatment is later & separate issue......that initial exam cost is really nothing compared to KNOWING your real pre_ treatment Health status ........ honestly just do the 3k basic test NOW !

• Sad 1

Just now, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

you sound in really bad shape, like all unreformed drinkers / smokers / druggers, and maybe in imminent danger......at the very least just go your nearest private hospital  for the standard thai basic scope / lowest cost medical for 3,000 baht......they all do it....... that should indicate any issues for doctor - recommended ( your choice) further tests....... full medical will cost 50-60k with MRI & CAT ......you can compare prices & scopes;  but likely to catch any & ALL potentially terminal or serious diseases..any treatment is later & separate issue......that initial exam cost is really nothing compared to KNOWING your real pre_ treatment Health status ........ honestly just do the 3k basic test NOW !

it is the repair costs that need evaluating, no point throwing good money after bad!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Welcome to the old age--your body tell you you need some changes. Start from reducing blood pressure, stop smoking. I had similar problem and these best american doctors have no clue except blabbering. 

After researching internet I realized I have to slow down.

In a way I can see the OP's reluctance. You go to the hospital with a broken leg, then OK it is broken. You walk into a hospital seemingly fit and nothing outwardly wrong how do you tell anyone what the problem is. 

If you find a good neurologist they should take the time to listen slowly to the problem and be able to suggest a course of action. 

The question is how to find one you trust.

• Like 1

I join those who suggested that you should get a brain scan. If I had an incident with the symptoms you described I definitely would want to get it checked out early. I do not mean to scare you, but I knew someone who died from a ruptured aneurism because he got misdiagnosed by his general practitioner.

What was the result of your last thread? Have the walking problems persisted?

Could it be related to this?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1163780-cramps-numbness-trouble-walking/

And what ever happened to those bubbles on your wrist? Did they become painful or stay painless? Did they burst or form open sores/ulcers? How did they go away? Have you had more since?

Edit: I will just call it now. If you have had skin ulcers and neuro problems, you could have tertiary Syphilis (that said, either of these symptoms on their own also could be that)

Edited by 2009
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

no. 

i am 65 and have no underlying conditions. it's all lifestyle, diet and exercise. 

would you drive your car without oil? 

Impressive.

I am half your age and feel unhealthy. I even have pre-hypertension.

What's your lifestyle like?

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, 2009 said:

What was the result of your last thread? Have the walking problems persisted?

Could it be related to this?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1163780-cramps-numbness-trouble-walking/

And what ever happened to those bubbles on your wrist? Did they become painful or stay painless? Did they burst or form open sores/ulcers? How did they go away? Have you had more since?

Edit: I will just call it now. If you have had skin ulcers and neuro problems, you could have tertiary Syphilis (that said, either of these symptoms on their own also could be that)

Wouldn't be a bad idea just to get a VDRL test before the expensive MRI/CAT scan just to rule out this possibility. Cheap, results in one hour, and at least you will know.

15 hours ago, 2009 said:

Impressive.

I am half your age and feel unhealthy. I even have pre-hypertension.

What's your lifestyle like?

stopped drinking soft drinks when i was 25. this single lifestyle change was probably the most important. 

no white bread after 30 yo. 

moderate exercise since I was 35. cut way down on red meat. 

stopped eating white refined sugar when I was 40. No cake or deserts. No fast food at all. 

eat fish and chicken. 

six drinks of alcohol a year.

extremely low carbs since I was 50. Very little bread, pasta, potatoes. 

and of course everyone laughs but I have a lot of sex all the time which is very healthy for you.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

stopped drinking soft drinks when i was 25. this single lifestyle change was probably the most important. 

no white bread after 30 yo. 

moderate exercise since I was 35. cut way down on red meat. 

stopped eating white refined sugar when I was 40. No cake or deserts. No fast food at all. 

eat fish and chicken. 

six drinks of alcohol a year.

extremely low carbs since I was 50. Very little bread, pasta, potatoes. 

and of course everyone laughs but I have a lot of sex all the time which is very healthy for you.  

Diet is like a religion, just choose which one and believe.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Diet is like a religion, just choose which one and believe.

no. 

there is nothing good a white refined sugar. it causes inflammation in every cell of your body.  

• Like 1