Robot vacuum cleaners

Guderian

On 5/5/2021 at 5:06 PM, Oxx said:

Room mapping isn't really necessary - more of a gimmick.

It's not going to be quick.  My Roomba takes around 40 minutes to do one room.

Is it noisy? That's a long time.

I recently had a look at some YouTube videos about these things. Even the good once are not perfect and it seems correctly only the top products really work automatically.

What these things have to do is not easy. And obviously more people have smart phones than smart vacuum cleaners. That's why they good once are expensive.

Personally I would buy a good one or none at all. There is no point to have one which doesn't do the job properly.

We had a top of the line, wifi , Alexa enabled Roomba at our Florida home. Unless you are away from home for the times you have it programed to run, it was pretty annoying , and useless, You had to make sure there were no iPhone charging wires o the floor, or your bathroom sleepers ,'cause it always got hung up on them, plus it was kind of loud and took for ever to run it's program, so if you were home it was pretty annoying. It is sitting in a closest now. I got a rechargeable , battery operated vacuumed cleaner , that hangs on the wall in the kitchen always charging.  

What it took the annoying Roomba to do in an hour, I do with the battery operated vacuum in five  minutes, and because you don't have to take out a vacuum cleaner, unroll electric wires, then roll them up again., I use it often, even to spot vacuum trouble areas where I made  I made a mess .

I highly recement it.  

Don't waste your money on a robotic vacuum cleaner, IMO they are useless. 

• Like 1

We have a Xiaomi robot unit that mops and vacs, but we need to put our dining chairs, bridge table chairs, etc up on the tables or else it spends too much time messing around the chair legs and never gets around to the other parts of the condo before it runs out of juice.

We only use it when we have "company" coming in between visits of our weekly maid.  Otherwise, the thai broom does a good job for the kitty litter, cracker crumbs and cat hair.

Yes, it's hard to have the best & suitable one, there are many choices and the price is also quite different, i think first you have to know your expected price and then to choose the right robot vacuum

Yeah they are good. 

Mine comes out at night while I am sleeping, can control it with my iPad if I want.

Nice waking up to clean floors every morning. It has a mop feature but the maid does the mopping instead.

I got this one about 5 months ago. I can't remember how much it cost.

I call it Joy after a previous maid I terminated for stealing money. This one doesn't steal.

IMG20210507155835.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 4:40 PM, Guderian said:

I'm not looking for a replacement for the cleaner, but thought that having a robot vacuum roam around the place once or twice a week and clean up the annoying small bits and pieces that seem to come from nowhere might be a good idea.

Don't waste your money , IMO they are useless.

In the US I have a top of the line , WIFI enabled, iRobot Roomba. After a while I  disconnected it and got  rechargeable wireless upright vacuum cleaner.  

The Roomba sits in the closet.

First it is very weak, then it is noisy. If you go to work and you set it to do its thing when you are away, it might be ok for small stuff as you describe, but to complete its program , depending on the size of the room it takes more than an hour. 

If you are home, Very annoying to say the least. 

Then you got to move every thing of the floor, otherwise it gets hung up, or eats wires. .

Some times it can find its base to get back. 

Every time it hits something it changes direction. It would go under the dining room table and start bouncing around  table the chair legs. Under my dining table was the cleanest spot in the house LOL.

As I said buy a wireless rechargeable vac. like the one below. It hangs on my wall  always charged, any little mess , I pick it up and quickly clean it in a minute. the long tube is removable, and with the car attachments it is great for cleaning the car.

No description available.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

We bought a LG robot 5 years ago.

It's been quite convenient and, became even more useful when we welcomed our little English Cocker Spaniel! With him, we use it every other day!

Most of the work is to remove cables, chairs, subwoofer before using it and put them back after.

Sacha August 2021.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

We bought one the Dreame W10.  It is the top model.  It does a good job.  It vacuums and mops.  It does map the rooms and is self cleaning.  You need to periodically change the water and clean the filter.  It does not totally replace manual cleaning since it can not go underneath all the furniture or move it to clean propertly. 

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

Sounds like telephone zombies around the BTS and MRT. Blindly bump into something(someone), and change direction. 

The newest generation have a sophisticated navigation system. They don't bump into anything and they are even able to detect poo so that they don't bump into that one or try to clean it.

But they are still far away from perfect and IMHO way too expensive.

I guess in maybe 3 or 5 years they should be better and cost half or less. I won't spend 1000 USD now only to replace it with a better model in a year or two.