Phuket Immigration Now Want Bank Statement for 1 YEAR for 1 Year Extension

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A local branch can only issue a statement for past 6 month on the day you request it. You cannot request 2 to get a year.

You have to request the 1 year statement about a week before you need it. Best to request it earlier in case of weekends and bank holidays.

Thanks UbonJoe

I've decided I'll go the UbonJoe route of :

1 x 11 month statement from Bangkok 1 month before Renewal

1 x 1 month statement locally the day of the renewal

And have just opened a new Krungsri Bank account in which I'll stick 800K and never use

and  close the d&mn Bangkok Bank account once and for all !

• Like 2

On 5/14/2021 at 7:47 AM, ubonjoe said:

I am fully aware of how long it takes to get one from Bangkok Bangkok. I have used one to prove my income for my past 2 extensions. I considered trying with two 6 month statements but decided not too since it really would not save a trip to the bank and if they were not accepted I would be in a rush to get one.

I have requested them the month before my extension is due and then a one month statement to show my most recent transfer for the month when I apply when I got the needed bank letter.

Hi UJ,

Sorry just double checking just in case.... 

you only get ONE letter on the date you apply, you don't get a Bank letter for the initial 11 months also ?

Cheers !

59 minutes ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

you only get ONE letter on the date you apply, you don't get a Bank letter for the initial 11 months also ?

I have gotten my standard bank letter the day before I apply.

There is no requirement for me to have a letter from the bank showing and my transfers at the office here. Only the bank statements and my bank book.

• Like 1

I'm missing something here..... If I'm going to Imm on 1 Jul to renew my retirement extension, and I use the 800k in the bank method, then on 20 June I go to Bangkok Bank to order the 12 month bank letter. While there, I'll update my bankbook, the first time since I renewed a year earlier. Then, on 30 June I'll go to Bangkok Bank and retrieve my 12 month bank letter, plus get a same day snapshot bank letter of my account balance. Then, on 1 July, I'll update my bankbook prior to heading for Imm. Assuming no activity on my account (like deposit, atm, or interest credit) during this 10 day period, all the numbers in the bank book and bank letters will be identical. And, if Imm is worried about maybe I took 800k out on 25 June, and put it back in on 26 June, these two activities would be separate line items in my passbook, as the time differential is too short for a consolidated entry.

I think Imm officers can even figure this scenario out....

On 5/6/2021 at 5:23 PM, BangkokReady said:

Do they ask how you are supporting yourself or to see any withdrawals, receipts, etc?  Or is it just a statement saying 800K has been and still is sitting in your Thai bank account?

This is a valid point. If 800k is just sitting there week after week, month after month, year after year an inquisitive Officer might ask; how you support yourself.

I think they have got it wrong. They should ask for a balance minimum of 250k, and an amount of 40k put into the account every month.

The 250k would ensure you had the funds to leave on the quick, and also pay a couple of medical bills.

On 5/11/2021 at 12:25 AM, JetsetBkk said:

This is embarrassing. I know one of these guys reads this thread so I have to be careful what I say. 

One of them got a 3 day Overstay fine and a stamp in his Passport a couple of years ago because the Statement arrived so late that he missed the extension deadline. He also does like the attitude of the staff at his SCB branch and the poor service. Go figure.

The other guy just trusts to luck that there won't be a delay with the statement which he takes to the bank as soon as it arrives, gets it stamped at the bank, gets the bank letter and then goes straight to Immigration for the extension.

Neither of them has plans to switch to a bank that can provide a 1-year statement on demand. 

Just a reminder that Phuket Immigration allows one to apply for a new extension of stay up to 45 days before the old extension of stay expires.  Doing so early allows one to resolve expected and unexpected problems more easily.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, skatewash said:

Just a reminder that Phuket Immigration allows one to apply for a new extension of stay up to 45 days before the old extension of stay expires.  Doing so early allows one to resolve expected and unexpected problems more easily.

Actually this is the important item I've just learned about extensions ! Many thanks ....

• Like 1

Just wondering.

Last year I went to the main Bangkok Bank office on Silom. They have a foreign transfer desk on the second floor.

I told the nice lady there I needed 12 credit advices...One year of 65,000 baht transfers coming into Thailand .. I think FFT is the code..

Anyway, she said i could come back in one or two days and they would be ready,,,or pay 600 to receive in an hour or so. 

I think the fee for waiting would of been 1 or 200..I forget.

I paid the 600 because it would of cost me about the same for transportation to come back.

Everyone is saying "bank statements" I'm not sure, but if I do a screen shot of my transfers every month showing FFT, and I print those out.....would that be accepted??

Or do I need the credit advice?

8 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Everyone is saying "bank statements" I'm not sure, but if I do a screen shot of my transfers every month showing FFT, and I print those out.....would that be accepted??

If your funds are transferred directly to Bangkok Bank your bank book will show them as a FTT (foreign telex transfer) and on a bank statement as a foreign transfer.

Best to request a one year bank statement before you apply for your extension.

I use a one year bank statement from Bangkok Bank to prove my income came from abroad. Also copies of my bank book. Due to the  timing of my transfers and the day I apply for my extension I also get a one month statement to show a transfer the month I apply for my extension since it takes about a week (or more) to get the one year statement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If your funds are transferred directly to Bangkok Bank your bank book will show them as a FTT (foreign telex transfer) and on a bank statement as a foreign transfer.

Best to request a one year bank statement before you apply for your extension.

I use a one year bank statement from Bangkok Bank to prove my income came from abroad. Also copies of my bank book. Due to the  timing of my transfers and the day I apply for my extension I also get a one month statement to show a transfer the month I apply for my extension since it takes about a week (or more) to get the one year statement.

Yes, I transfer directly to Bangkok Bank. They show in bank book as FTT and foreign transfer online statement.

I never update my bank book. 

So, last year I got 12 credit advices because someone said that was what I needed.

The IO was ok with those, but did frown at me not updating the book.

It seems that A one year bank statement from BKK bank is what I need?

Just one page? Not 12?

Sorry to ask so much.....CW is a long way..don't want to make more than one trip.

Thanks man.

21 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

So, last year I got 12 credit advices because someone said that was what I needed.

Those are only needed if your transfers do not have the FTT code on them.

22 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

It seems that A one year bank statement from BKK bank is what I need?

Just one page? Not 12?

The number of pages depends upon how many transactions you have done for the past year.

Mine was 5 pages long last year and I only do a few transactions every month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got caught out by this today. Nowhere on the website under 'documentation required ' does it mention bank statements, just the updated passbook and letter confirming the balance. Bangkok Bank will only allow you to download 6 months statements on-line and if you go into the branch there is a 7-day wait for 12 months statements - by which time my Visa will have expired and put me in a compromising position with the Authorities who are now rubbing there hands together.

This completely flies in the face of all those headlines that announce 'Immigration rules to be simplified'. Quite the opposite - I'm sure that Thai Immigration Officers sit around a table and ask for ideas on 'How can we make applications more difficult for Falang'. Of course expats who spend their retirement nest egg here all year round will not stay where they're not welcome and continue leaving in their droves. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Common Sense is just not common here ! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phuket Pete said:

I got caught out by this today. Nowhere on the website under 'documentation required ' does it mention bank statements, just the updated passbook and letter confirming the balance. Bangkok Bank will only allow you to download 6 months statements on-line and if you go into the branch there is a 7-day wait for 12 months statements - by which time my Visa will have expired and put me in a compromising position with the Authorities who are now rubbing there hands together.

This completely flies in the face of all those headlines that announce 'Immigration rules to be simplified'. Quite the opposite - I'm sure that Thai Immigration Officers sit around a table and ask for ideas on 'How can we make applications more difficult for Falang'. Of course expats who spend their retirement nest egg here all year round will not stay where they're not welcome and continue leaving in their droves. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Common Sense is just not common here ! 

I would recommend using the Phuket Immigration Volunteers website for information related to dealing with Phuket Immigration.   

http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/retirement/

For example, under the instructions for obtaining a retirement extension it says (emphasis added):

Signed and stamped bank letter AND Signed and stamped bank statement showing the required money and duration before application date. (Max 7 days old)
Copy updated Thai bank book name page and last 12 months transactions. (Update the bank book on the day of the application)
Please make sure that all papers have the same balance mentioned

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Phuket Pete said:

Just thinking here....IF you offer the bank more money for a quick print out of the one year statement..that might help...or maybe they tell you to go to the head office...if you can do that...they may give you 1 day service....?

• Sad 2

52 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Just thinking here....IF you offer the bank more money for a quick print out of the one year statement..that might help...or maybe they tell you to go to the head office...if you can do that...they may give you 1 day service....?

Don't you think that they would do it if it was possible and make the money ???????

Bangkok Bank branches are physical not able to print a 1 year statement as their system doesn't allow that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/6/2021 at 3:48 PM, worgeordie said:

Chiang Mai Immigration has been asking for 12 month statements

for at least a year,it just duplicates what is in your bank book,which

has to be updated the same day you go for extension, just extra cost

and hassle for the retiree.

regards Worgeordie 

Once again highlighting that all offices do whatever they think. The rules are made and handed down. How to check on and enforce those rules is left open. And there see,s some very differing opinions on how to do that!

My IO doesn't request bank statements, so far. Just the letter and copies of bank book pages. I mentioned that some IO's are now asking for 12 month bank statements to my bank manager earlier this year. She threw a real wobbly, as if that was asking for something totally beyond their capabilities! 

It's the inconsistencies, vagaries and on occasion unwarranted insistence on things that just don't seem relevant that cause so much headache. Sadly, unlikely to change anytime soon.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, skatewash said:

a 2-page copy of my passbook which they stamped. 

The SCB bank did that for me too - 2 pages that covered the whole previous year, stamped and signed.

I had copied my passbook and signed those copies

I did that a few years ago but the SCB made their own photocopies and stamped and signed them. That's what Immigration want.

they just duplicated the "bank statement."

A bank statement is a printout showing all activity on your account. Congratulations, you got away with it this year, but don't bank on it next year. (Get it? "Bank on it"? ???? )

What I'm going to do next year is to NOT give them the photocopies of the "passbook, stamped and signed by the bank", and NOT give them the picture of me in front of my house.

I'll have all those papers ready in my brief case and present them if they want them: "Oh, sorry, did you want these...?" roll_eyes.gif.956fedffb91fe0b82c3d8e8dfd358a53.gif

• Like 1