Thailand to introduce 300 baht ‘tourist fee’ from January

webfact

6 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

' nuff said.

Is that sum relating to unpaid state hospital bills?

Is it really unpaid bills from tourists?

Or is it unpaid bills from illegal workers?

Anyway, this would be the third time tourists need to pay extra.

Another "nail in the coffin"?

Right in time.

Thailand to introduce 300 baht ‘tourist fee’ from January/ 

Isn't that nice Thb 300 for whatever . I'll pay that every month if that covers the Medical problems that they are talking about, but then Can we Believe what they are Saying ? No.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Initially, Thailand had hoped to re-open Phuket to vaccinate foreign tourists, who could stay on the island without the need to quarantine. 

LOL, those tourists will already all be vaccinated by the time Thailand would be able to offer it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

So we now have the pleasure of queuing for 45 mins for the payment counter and 45 mins to have our passports stamped, sounds good to me.

This was my worry ..

Just how will they collect it  ? Like the old 500 barht departure  tax ..collected in cash , ridiculous .

• Like 2

This is like being a customer at a restaurant, and as you go in they charge you 300 baht to help pay for the flowers in the restaurant to make it beautiful, and for all the customers that ran away without paying.

And we all know the restaurant owner will just pocket it anyway.

Dumb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look at the fine print on your airline ticket.  Even if they add 300 baht, Thailand will be getting a tiny portion of the taxes you've been charged.  The rest of it goes to airport fees and taxes in the USA, UK, or whatever developed country you're flying in from.

I am glad they're referring to it as a tourism fee and not a "healthcare fee", to eliminate even the remote possibility that some idiot will confuse it with health insurance.

And if adding $10 to the price of an international airline ticket makes one end of the touring public not want to come to Thailand, perhaps that's not a bad thing...

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

Hello,

I want to thailand come.  It paradise and you wrong all.  Happy it makes me land of smiles and I pay 3,000 bhat to do it.  Bargain this is!  

The idea is good says us all!  

In other news, my concussion is getting worse...

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I think they have to pay every tourist coming from januari otherwise nobody will come anymore . 

I wouldn't go if they paid me.  There is nothing to see.  I travel around on a motorcycle and fly by the seat of my pants.  You can't just travel there anymore.

They need to go after the nearly dead obese who can sit in a deck chair all day and..  what exactly do they do?  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

I wouldn't go if they paid me.  There is nothing to see.  I travel around on a motorcycle and fly by the seat of my pants.  You can't just travel there anymore.

They need to go after the nearly dead obese who can sit in a deck chair all day and..  what exactly do they do?  

Which begs the question, why are you wasting your time posting here?

Don't bother answering.  We already know.

• Like 2

Mr Phiphat said that if Thailand can attract 20 million tourists in 2022, then some 6.2 billion baht  could be generated for the fund. 

That 'if' is doing an awful lot of heavy lifting.

I thought the 500 baht exit fee and the money added to your ticket price was for this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Which begs the question, why are you wasting your time posting here?

Don't bother answering.  We already know.

I will return when things settle down and we can actually travel.  I'm not paying 0 bhat, 300 bhat, 3000 bhat right now.  I'm not self isolating at home for 2 weeks for the pleasure of spreading filthy covid all over the place, which is what fully vaccinated people are capable of right now.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

I don't think that a bill for 448 million is from a "few scumbags" Many have had bad road accidents or heart attack and no money to pay for the over priced hospital treatment.  I hope you are one of the "scumbags" one day ! 

Has anyone checked if the 448 million figure is true?  

Is it all 'scumbags' or does it include low paid workers from nearby countries?

I won't even comment on the tourist fee brain fart, too many things can happen by that time.

But I do take note that he realized that opening Phuket in July will need to be postponed. That was bound to happen.

They say you can't teach stupid?  This guy should put a bag over his head when he gets on T.V.

You do the numbers 6.2 Billion and your lost for medical from all the tourist coming who end up skipping out on their medical bills 445 million. It is a lot of money lost but small relative to what they plan to generate.

You got a lot of billions sitting around supposed to be used when it comes to government managing that money properly go luck with that idea! Majority of it will end up like already pockets of leaders!  These types of fees are just scams! ????

• Like 2

The government model in Thailand is to make each ministry more or less self sustaining as tax collection is so poor. For example police, including Immigration, are poorly salaried, their money is made up by a share of the fines collected, it’s all official. That’s perhaps why they are rarely sympathetic to rule breakers. 

Other departments like TAT, National Parks etc run on a similar model including dual pricing.

But as they say, if you don’t like it …….