Thailand to introduce 300 baht ‘tourist fee’ from January

webfact

6 hours ago, Ventenio said:

If I see a homeless person, I yell at them, "Go work, make money, I'm not paying for your health!!!!!"   

Everyone on this planet should have lots of money, good health, and never need assistance.  I have no pity on the poor, or downtrodden.  Learned that in church.

Or maybe I have a heart and feel bad for those who can't pay.....

that is not the falang way.....the falang way is to criticize at all costs.  live in the biggest glass house and throw boulders 

How many homeless you know that can go in holiday in Thailand?

People can pay 2000$ for flight+hotel+food for 2 week holyday, but cannot pay 70/100$ for insurance? I not feel bad for them, i feel more bad for the homeless in my country

• Like 1

Dumb idea.. 

Collection? In cash at arrival. Imagine the lines to pay.. plus how much of the cash will disappear from collection point to the armored car?

Can't be collected as part of the ticket as Thai citizens would also pay

The lines on the land borders will be for hours. Do you think everyone crossing from Laos jnto Thailand will pay? 

Rather than promoting tourism, they are making it more of a hassle to come. The amount of the fee is not relevant - 10 USD won't matter, but it is the thought process

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GregKeo said:

So you want to screw all those small businesses who provide us and tourists with the services you require, whose profit margin is miniscule and the poorly paid staff who rely on tips to get by - simply to seek revenge on the idiotic government decision that seems imminent?

<deleted>!  The world is awash with money grabs, however seeking revenge by punishing those with no skin in the game is ludicrous. 

Well...the Thai government is applying the principle of collective guilt to me,  so I'll apply it the same way back to the Thais. I never forgot to pay my bills anywhere in Thailand,  and don't see a reason why I should be charged because some riff raffs did a run on the Thai hospitals. And this is just an excuse, as they plan to collect much more than the hospital bills shortfall.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Probably they die due to very basic health care.

At least that’s my personal experience of thai government hospitals and I assume not everyone survives. The figure is also probably plucked from thin air, hard to see how figures for each province would be aggregated, even assuming they have them in the first place. I mean, this is the government who can’t collect on the thousands of parking tickets issued, no way they could track non paying farang.

Well, can't really expect the dead to pay, can you?

Services rendered were not satisfactory.

Mr Phiphat said that if Thailand can attract 20 million tourists in 2022, then some 6.2 billion baht  could be generated for the fund. 

As it looks now, Thailand should be grateful if they could reach 2 million in 2022.

In 2019, a report by Nikkei Asia said that unpaid medical bills in Thai hospitals from tourists costs the state 448 million baht. 

Of course there will always be some morons without insurance and funds, and behave like the locals when never used to move a motorized vehicle b4 in their live.

On the other hand, how many ended up in a hospital in an (traffic) accident, where it was clearly not their fault, and the other part had no license and/or insurance, leaving you alone with the costs. Paying that bill wouldn't be my first priority.

Last year Thai media suggested that 34 baht will go towards insurance while the rest would be used for the maintenance and development tourism sites. 

So insurance is clear then, doubt you get anything in return. :) 

The rest they'll will probably use in implementing the common "dual pricing system" for the few remaining places it's not practice yet.

Does the 300 bath, on top of the 700 bath already included in the ticket prices, influence my decision to come to Thailand. 

Nope. The decision to spend the rest of my days somewhere else has fallen already way b4 that.

You got the girl of your dreams already sitting on your bed, she's really getting into gear right now and starts to undress... then you say; "Before you go ahead, Darling, please allow me to pre-charge you the amount of 10 USD for condom, shampoo, body wash, body lotion, water usage, electricity and laundry services for bedding and towel, thank you!"

That's why Thai officials are never getting laid... ???? 

Edited by Freigeist365
  • Haha 2

“...any money generated would be used in the management of tourist attractions...”. I guess the 2x pricing wasn’t gettin’er done. Imagine their dismay when they realize nobody still wants to come - even with a 300 baht visa scheme. 

Edited by DBath

7 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

I'll try.

The great majority of tourists couldn't care less about a ten dollar surcharge. 

All the moaners on here must find it hard to afford a Khao Phat. 

I wouldn't eat that if it was the last meal in Thailand, not really into Thai food at all, and I've been living here 10 years. So your comment doesn't wash with me. Have a nice evening ????

10 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Normal Thai business practice.

Less customers? Increase the price of the product to make up the shortfall.

<--------->

Was exactly my idea .

And don't forget, at least at the end of this year the corrupt high-end officials will miss "their part" of the 14-day quarantine-money. It's the compensation/replacement/ersatz.

Edited by puck2

10 hours ago, gearbox said:

It is just a money grab. They'll try to do everything to squeeze you, but you can squeeze back. Don't pay any tips in restaurants, massages, etc until the tips withheld reach 600 baht. If someone complains tell them to email Mr Phiphat about their "unforeseen problems or hardships".

Exactly, that is the only way to deal with it. Sadly, the message will, of course, not get through to the person missing out on a tip or gratuity, and if it did, it wouldn't be met with any understanding. That is the disconnect between government and citizens which will never be bridged.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

The hospital unpaid bills is just a total scam excuse to try and introduce another charge and put it on the toes of the tourist. It is nothing but a money grab attempt. To say Thailand has 40 million visitors plus and they are complaining about a loss figure of around 10-11 million GBP across the whole health system of Thailand, is ridiculous and what's more, I don't believe them.

My god, didn't they also add a charge for the new biometrics at the airport on to the cost price of your air ticket? Then they wanted a charge for parks and monuments to be paid for by foreigners. From what I have seen the facilities provided at these places are a joke in itself. Where does the nonsense end?

I have already moved considerable amounts of capital out of Thailand back to the UK, and will continue doing so. My other half's mother is now in the 80s and declining health. After the inevitable, we will seriously look at somewhere else. The numbers of fees, such as this latest one of 300 baht, as a solo individual are paltry, and not worth arguing about, but we all know multiply it by millions of visitors and it is major money.

Lastly, it's the constant barrage and roll out of anti foreigner sentiment by those in power who unashamedly think they garner support by stoking up the fears in the uneducated masses and deflect from their own incompetence.

Do the Thai government ever  wonder why they are in the background, along with Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar, and not taken seriously in meetings of world leaders?

These places are nothing but jumped up Banana Republics.

Good post!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Dumb idea.. 

Collection? In cash at arrival. Imagine the lines to pay.. plus how much of the cash will disappear from collection point to the armored car?

Can't be collected as part of the ticket as Thai citizens would also pay

The lines on the land borders will be for hours. Do you think everyone crossing from Laos jnto Thailand will pay? 

Rather than promoting tourism, they are making it more of a hassle to come. The amount of the fee is not relevant - 10 USD won't matter, but it is the thought process

Thai citizens are identified on ticket purchase, so would be automatically exempt from the tax. All non-Thais to be charged. That would be the theory and simplest answer. However, when you book a ticket for a Thai and non-Thai, would the generated fare, online, really differ by 300 baht = 10 USD? I doubt it.

I no way agree with this Thai stupidity, I can relate it though to the £10.00 charge levied on all tourists back a long time ago in Bali, pay cash at the special window, get a nice postage stamp in your passport then proceed to immigration then the baggage carousel if I remember rightly, that was the year before that God awful bombing,  do they still charge on arrival ?

............................ & let the gouging commence!! Think the coffers must be getting low & everyone is starting to miss the "brown envelopes". It will not be seen as an added incentive to visit Thailand, especially with all the bad press of the quarantine costs & service ......... sad.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

This is ridiculous.

Why should all tourists pay for a few scumbags who didn't pay their hospital bills? Those few scumbags should be jailed until they pay their bills.

'Management of tourist attractions' is already covered by the double pricing of the tickets for foreigners. Thai also visit these places so the tickets already cover the costs.

Why should all tourists pay for some tourist attractions that they don't want to visit or never visited?

It is hare-brained idea.

Jailed until you pay your bills?! Debtor's prisons went out of fashion with tricorn hats. 555 Come on Eric.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand will collect 300 baht tourist fee from all international visitors arriving in the country from next January.

Every tourist can afford it but the point is that they always do everything they can to discourage tourists financially and with paperwork

• Like 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

In 2019, a report by Nikkei Asia said that unpaid medical bills in Thai hospitals from tourists costs the state 448 million baht. 

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the figure - how much of that resulted from a road accident where the tourist was not at fault and all the driver had was the next to useless compulsory insurance?

There will be other non fault causes too, I doubt it as simple as tourists not being insured or expats failing to pay their bills.

I sincerely hope that they realise just how much visitors spend and stop whinging about unpaid hospital bills once they introduce this new 'tourist tax' - there will be no excuse to but don't hold your breath. Next year's headlines:

'Hospitals Report Bigger Losses from Foreigner's Unpaid Bills - Tourist Tax To Increase To 600 Baht'

• Like 2