Thailand set to boost COVID-19 vaccinations, expects to approve Moderna shots

as i said in a previous post.   everyone saying that they gotta sort out the vaccine rollout,but people seem to be forgetting that it also depends on thais willing to have it, and early reports coming out seem to be they're not that keen.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The government expects 61 million shots of AstraZeneca to be produced locally from June. But these vaccinations and those from Moderna will not be offered free.

Well that's a new development.  So the government expects Siam Bioscience to produce 61 million shots starting in June, but those $hot$, errr, shots according to the paragraph above will not be available for distribution for free through government hospitals but will be sold to the Thai citizens instead (and of course, foreigners must pay)???
"61 million shots of AstraZeneca to be produced locally from June. But these vaccinations and those from Moderna will not be offered free."
Really???

Flip Flop Flip Flop
Does the assertion above,
Need clarification or not.
Flip Flop Flip Flop

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ah there is the rub.  I was waiting on this little morsel of information.  Yes everyone will be vaccinated, but then you must pay for it.  Thank you for the options now.  I will not pay for Sinovac, or even AZ, but if I must pay then bring in all of the vaccines and let me choose my poison.  The WHO and the rest of the world still have not even approved SINOVAC as a vaccine, yet Thailand is pumping it into bodies, well at least a million so far.

"The government expects 61 million shots of AstraZeneca to be produced locally from June.
                         ????????????????????????????????????????
But these vaccinations
and those from Moderna will not be offered free."

I see you caught this jewel of a statement too.  A misprint by the writer of the article or an epiphany of epic proportions should the Thai population be told they must now pay for the Siam Bioscience $hot???   Inquiring minds would like to know???

"The government expects 61 million shots of AstraZeneca to be produced locally from June. But these vaccinations and those from Moderna will not be offered free."

As the UK Oxford/AZ vaccine is to be sold at "cost" price, I wonder how much it will be sold for in Thailand???

Just wondering!

19 minutes ago, connda said:

"The government expects 61 million shots of AstraZeneca to be produced locally from June.
                         ????????????????????????????????????????
But these vaccinations
and those from Moderna will not be offered free."

I see you caught this jewel of a statement too.  A misprint by the writer of the article or an epiphany of epic proportions should the Thai population be told they must now pay for the Siam Bioscience $hot???   Inquiring minds would like to know???

Just like a Tootsie pop, people the world over want to know how many licks it takes to get to the center, well Like the vaccines we have all been wondering when the other shoe would drop regardless of how many times it is retracted, reprinted, rephrased or even reevaluated.  I await the next daily update to shed more light on the subject.

• Like 1

More <deleted> from the spin doctors. If vaccines are coming, why can't I register at a private hospital? I dress neatly, use underarm deodorant and mouthwash.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

in his yesterday statement he did not mention moderna import.

but they have applied in middle of match, so some 2 months ago.

also his figures jump all over. First he was sure 63mln, later 100mln, yesterday 120mln, but on fb 150mln.

He is truly trump copycat

it's still hot air: we will dobthis, we will do that

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Is he going to be praying for more vaccine too?

"Prayuth’s government is promoting a prayer session at Buddhist temples and online on May 11, in the stated hope that it bring people peace of mind and help them get through the coronavirus crisis together."

source: https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/05/08/govt-wants-to-buy-more-vaccines-as-surge-worsens/  

Religion has it's place, but Buddha, Jesus, or the pantheon of deities and spectral entities in the heavens and the hells aren't going to approve or import needed vaccinations.  The ฿aht doesn't stop at Buddha.  Both failures and success stops on the doorstep of the PM cum "Covid Czar."  So far the failures are material whilst the successes are ethereal.  That model needs to be, errr, Flip-Flopped.  Instead?  Appeal to the lowest common denominator: the superstitions of the Thai commoners.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DLock said:

"The government expects 61 million shots of AstraZeneca to be produced locally from June. But these vaccinations and those from Moderna will not be offered free."

Wow. Just wow.

The locally owned and locally produced COVID vaccine is going to charge Thai people to use it? 

They just slipped that in there when they thought no one was reading. This will come back to haunt them.

...but, but, but...

"A leading figure in Thai Health has told the Thai people they will receive free tests, free treatment - everything is free - when it comes to Covid-19."

Until it's not!  ????

1 hour ago, d2b2 said:

What is the reasoning behind approving a vaccine and then sitting on your hands and not buying any?

something is amiss.

I'll give you two guesses and the first guess doesn't count. 
Hint: bs

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ah there is the rub.  I was waiting on this little morsel of information.  Yes everyone will be vaccinated, but then you must pay for it.  Thank you for the options now.  I will not pay for Sinovac, or even AZ, but if I must pay then bring in all of the vaccines and let me choose my poison.  The WHO and the rest of the world still have not even approved SINOVAC as a vaccine, yet Thailand is pumping it into bodies, well at least a million so far.

Why not just wait as Biden wants to give the Patent's to the world so every country can make there own vaccines even China.

• Haha 1

Ah , and there is the blame game again .

"What we expect from Moderna is its commitment on how soon they will bring in their vaccine," he said.

India's Bharat Biotech has started the application process for vaccine registration while China's Sinopharm has yet to apply, he said.

So it's their fold not the lack of Prayuth and his goons to properly role out a program and getting vaccine producers on board months ago ??

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Impressive how fast he's working... ????

The approvals and ordering should had happened right after the infections at the shrimp market. Now its out of control. The only reason their is not 4000 cases a day is because they are not testing fast enough and they dont have enough Vaccinations to make a difference . At this point what they need to do is let private  hospitals to start ordering Vaccines and NOT this Government. They have proven , They cant handle it . They could also order free testing for EVERYONE

Edited by club
  • Like 1

Problem is mainly world shortage of vaccines it is essential all Thai's offered vaccines FREE of charge and that every effort made to expedite vaccine roll out. It should be compulsory for all Foreigners to be vaccinated unless can prove medically unsuitable cost should easily for affordable  if foreigners required to pay. All going well Thailand should be ready to open for tourism next year.

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

I am not smart enough to make quantifiable decisions about what vaccine is best for me, I want my Doctor to have researched this subject and to recommend/advise me, based on a particular vaccine and me! I will take his advice whether such vaccine has to be paid for or not.

Do you have any idea how many doctors world-wide are paid by pharmaceutical companies to use their products?  Private doctors are not philanthropists but are profit and revenue oriented.  Most private doctors have conflicts of interest.  If you plan to take a doctor's recommendation, you should follow up on his/her advice and ask if he/she if paid by a vaccine manufacturer to promote the use the suggested vaccine. 
You'd be better off doing your own research including taking a peek in the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting Systems (VARES).  As all the current lot of Covid vaccines are "experimental" and are only being used under "Covid Emergency Authorization" - cavet emptor, buyer beware. Understand the risk/reward as you are participating in a covid vaccination live-trial at an international level. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, d2b2 said:

Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine has been approved here for weeks, but there is never any mention of efforts to procure any.

J&J orders are never mentioned or listed in the government’s plans for importation. What is the reasoning behind approving a vaccine and then sitting on your hands and not buying any?

something is amiss.

I am fairly certain there was an article about the same time as the approval saying the J&J had been ordered but delivery was not expected until early next year.

Various thing:

--I too think the OP article is wrong with its comment that the locally produced AZ vaccine WILL NOT be free to at least Thai citizens. The government has repeatedly said it will be free.

--From what the government has said thus far, it appears they're planning to allocate whatever Pfizer vaccines they can import for use among young people/teenagers.

--From what the government has said thus far, it appears likely that whatever Moderna vaccines end up being imported likely be get distributed at least in part / mainly / exclusively? through the private hospitals.

--As for J&J, I've heard and seen nothing from the government about use of that vaccine here... even though it has been approved. However, another poster here reported the other day that a relative who works in a private hospital had been vaccinated recently with the J&J shot. That's the only mention I've  heard/seen of its use..  It's a VERY strange circumstance with J&J and Thailand... like a complete blackout!

6 hours ago, prism said:

"Moderna last month applied for vaccine registration in Thailand, which should be approved soon, said Withoon Danwiboon, head of the Government Pharmaceutical Organization."

What are they waiting for?

Envelopes and lots of large brown ones!

32 minutes ago, connda said:

Do you have any idea how many doctors world-wide are paid by pharmaceutical companies to use their products?  Private doctors are not philanthropists but are profit and revenue oriented.  Most private doctors have conflicts of interest.  If you plan to take a doctor's recommendation, you should follow up on his/her advice and ask if he/she if paid by a vaccine manufacturer to promote the use the suggested vaccine. 
You'd be better off doing your own research including taking a peek in the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting Systems (VARES).  As all the current lot of Covid vaccines are "experimental" and are only being used under "Covid Emergency Authorization" - cavet emptor, buyer beware. Understand the risk/reward as you are participating in a covid vaccination live-trial at an international level. 

"You'd be better off doing your own research including taking a peek in the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting Systems (VARES)." Anyone can post to VARES... no credibility. Someone gets a vaccine later dies... must be the vaccine! Never mind they were run over by a car...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although I don't believe this near-reversal of policy by our esteemed "prime minister" is entirely the doing of Thai Visa, I think Thai Visa can be thanked for helping to light the fire under his posterior.  So I'm saying a big "THANK YOU"!  Now let's see if any genuine actions come from his words!  

6 hours ago, internationalism said:

in his yesterday statement he did not mention moderna import.

but they have applied in middle of match, so some 2 months ago.

also his figures jump all over. First he was sure 63mln, later 100mln, yesterday 120mln, but on fb 150mln.

He is truly trump copycat

Odd because just last week the health ministry declared that Moderna had not yet applied for an import permit and that once application was made, it would take a month for approval.

Guess just another "mis-spoke" or "taken out of contex"

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Is he going to be praying for more vaccine too?

"Prayuth’s government is promoting a prayer session at Buddhist temples and online on May 11, in the stated hope that it bring people peace of mind and help them get through the coronavirus crisis together."

source: https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/05/08/govt-wants-to-buy-more-vaccines-as-surge-worsens/  

remember his prayers had diverted a thunderstorm few months back.. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JOE BAMA said:

Although I don't believe this near-reversal of policy by our esteemed "prime minister" is entirely the doing of Thai Visa, I think Thai Visa can be thanked for helping to light the fire under his posterior.  So I'm saying a big "THANK YOU"!  Now let's see if any genuine actions come from his words!  

Anybody know Chan Ocha's board name?  Avatar?   He must be one of the grumpy BM's