Thailand set to boost COVID-19 vaccinations, expects to approve Moderna shots

14 minutes ago, dddave said:

Odd because just last week the health ministry declared that Moderna had not yet applied for an import permit and that once application was made, it would take a month for approval.

Guess just another "mis-spoke" or "taken out of contex"

on 11.03 health official said, that moderna will apply in march

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-idUSKBN2B31IT

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The government expects 61 million shots of AstraZeneca to be produced locally from June. But these vaccinations and those from Moderna will not be offered free.

There we go... now not free.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I plan to get vaccinated again, even though I have had 2 jabs of Moderna. Getting a different type of vaccine later this year may both extend my immunity and give me wider protection against future mutations. 

Or I might die from the combination. 

Nothing to support that theory.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I plan to get vaccinated again, even though I have had 2 jabs of Moderna. Getting a different type of vaccine later this year may both extend my immunity and give me wider protection against future mutations. 

So almost no-one here has been vaccinated and you're willing to deprive someone of a desperately.needed shot?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, w94005m said:

So almost no-one here has been vaccinated and you're willing to deprive someone of a desperately.needed shot?

I won't get ahead in line, I will be going back to the US in 2 months, where vaccines are plentiful. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I won't get ahead in line, I will be going back to the US in 2 months, where vaccines are plentiful. 

Good for you.

And good luck getting back in here.

Edited by bkk6060

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I have been through quarantine twice already. 

Hey, I applaud you.  Seriously.

I saw some guy on You Tube who claimed he has been thru 4 quarantines here.

I would find it very very difficult to do 14 days in a room.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Hey, I applaud you.  Seriously.

I saw some guy on You Tube who claimed he has been thru 4 quarantines here.

I would find it very very difficult to do 14 days in a room.

This last one was just 10 days. 

However, since Pattaya is closed up, I am not leaving my condo much. So, it's kind of like another quarantine. 

This is a crisis in Thailand in the context of a global crisis.. So Thailand is competing with the world for vaccines it can't produce itself. The competition is stiff and clearly Thailand made some big errors up till now with vaccine planning and having the vision to have a sense of urgency before the shirt hit the fan.

But we can't turn back the clock. Do the post mortem later but if the current policies actually are moving quickly in the right direction (we'll see about whether that actually pans out later) then that should be met with at least conditional optimism. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

vaccine only last about a six month to a year it recommend you take a different vaccine later

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, madmitch said:

I hope, and I think, that Reuters has its information wrong. Every other press release has stated that vaccines will be free.

80% of most post on here are wrong next day something reverses  the last one 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vinci said:

vaccine only last about a six month to a year it recommend you take a different vaccine later

Be careful. There may be a new category in the code of mental illness. Vaccine fetishist. People that have already been vaccinated seeking to sample all the different brands of vaccines in a short time period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

Do you have any idea how many doctors world-wide are paid by pharmaceutical companies to use their products?  Private doctors are not philanthropists but are profit and revenue oriented.  Most private doctors have conflicts of interest.  If you plan to take a doctor's recommendation, you should follow up on his/her advice and ask if he/she if paid by a vaccine manufacturer to promote the use the suggested vaccine. 
You'd be better off doing your own research including taking a peek in the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting Systems (VARES).  As all the current lot of Covid vaccines are "experimental" and are only being used under "Covid Emergency Authorization" - cavet emptor, buyer beware. Understand the risk/reward as you are participating in a covid vaccination live-trial at an international level. 

You are right but how many people visiting their Doctor in all other circumstances decide what is prescribed for them? Are they expected to research everything before "trusting" them? In the case of vaccines, at this time, Countries Medical Authorities are buying (who are vetting and needing to approve before doing so), not private Doctors.

Your research is failing you when stating that covid vaccines are "experimental". It is true they have been "fast-tracked" but not from ensuring they are basically safe. Fast tracking in this context means much bureaucracy and red tape has been avoided because of the current crisis and the need to expedite urgency.

1.3 billion people worldwide have already had the jab from one source or another. Are millions of those going to suffer severely or even die? Only my opinion, but I think not.

• Like 2

Spoke to my Laos lady friend yesterday 45 years old, can see Nong Khai from her lovely house on the Laos side of the Mekong. She’s had her first jab of the A/Z vaccine free of charge. Just shows how that super race in Thailand are doing  what a bunch of Wallys

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

They are not going to charge Thai citizens for AZ vaccine. The article was incorrect/misspoke.

Foreigners might be charged, this is still unclear.

And it is possible Moderna -- whenever it becomes available which is still an unknown - will be available only from private hospitals and at a fee. Possible, not decided. Not that Moderna is not even approved for use in Thailand yet.

I think AZ is the only vaccine that's sold at cost. Probably something to do with helping mankind and not expecting to make big profits from it, an unusual concept nowadays!

Edited by Andrew65

8 hours ago, prism said:

"Moderna last month applied for vaccine registration in Thailand, which should be approved soon, said Withoon Danwiboon, head of the Government Pharmaceutical Organization."

What are they waiting for?

how they will skim money off the top

Seems everything that TIT does is to benefit the ruling elite. Designated for ASQ hotels are owned by rich, a small operator will not qualify.

Foreigner quarantine charges are hugely inflated. Now increased to 14 days without a maid service is the latest scam, no cost and no maid employment wage.

An extra covet test number 3 thrown in at 6000baht and yet Moderna vaccine available at private hospitals  for 3000baht: seems absurd.

It is the locals that are responsible for virus transmission that is flaming the spread. Thais come into quarantine and within 2 days disappear into oblivion never to be found. Take a foreigner: and they have his passport number and location address.

I would never come back here again, had it not been for my wife and son living here.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

Moderna and Pfizer are based on the new mRNA technology. Are the mRNA-based vaccines effective enough in real life? Do they have any dangerous side effects? We will see it for sure in the next 10 years of trials of this technology.

Clearly you're not aware that studies have been done on how the MRNA vaccines are performing among the general population. And so far the news is very good.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I hope that you are joking.