What apps are essential for traveling?

Bolt - cheaper than Grab for taxis.

Airline app - up to date flight info, baggage carousel no, gate no etc depending on airline.

Bus company app - local transport info.

Line/Viber - messaging.

Grab/HungryNow/foodpanda/Line Man - food delivery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2021 at 7:13 PM, Stocky said:

Maps.Me - if you're travelling out of country and wise to avoid roaming charges. Can download detailed maps for the country/region being visited. 

Sygic also has map downloads & like @CharlieH I think it’s the best for navigating offline walking and driving, but if you have data available then google maps is very good to use with sygic 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

Dropbox or Google Drive to store your important docs.  Copies of your flights, passports, drivers license, and even passwords...if you're like me and can't remember them.  Or, Keeper to manage your passwords.

We've been using AirBnB a lot lately.  Great to have a place with a kitchen if you're going to be somewhere for a week or so.

A currency converter is great.

Google translate is fantastic.  Just point your phone at something and viola! 

Skype is nice if you don't have a local sim and need to call a local number.

And of course a sun position app so you make sure your in the right place for that fantastic sunset. LOL

Google photos for backing up all your holiday snaps and videos on the go to save phone storage and share with folks back home.

Kindle for reading books offline on long bus or train journeys when internet not available and maybe Netflix when it is.

Music app with heavy rain sleep sounds downloaded from Youtube for blocking out annoying background noise when u are trying to sleep.

XE Currency Pro, it doesn’t give you tourist rates but it’s a great ready reckoner for currency conversions.

I would steer clear of hotel booking apps, they may be convenient but you can easily end up paying 10-20% more than a direct booking.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Dropbox or Google Drive to store your important docs.  Copies of your flights, passports, drivers license, and even passwords...if you're like me and can't remember them.  Or, Keeper to manage your passwords.

That is a very risky location for sensitive information 

I personally use 1Password which is a secure application for storage of all data, passwords copies if things like birth certificates, passports, driving license, professional certificates, etc.

My preference is 1Password because I retain possession of the database, however there is also lastpass which is similar but your database is stored on their servers. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I personally use 1Password which is a secure application for storage of all data, passwords copies if things like birth certificates, passports, driving license, professional certificates, etc.

My preference is 1Password because I retain possession of the database, however there is also lastpass which is similar but your database is stored on their servers. 

I put passwords up there, but they look like this:

Se?t??e19##

For:

Seattle1975

Sadly, I sometimes forget.  So now, pretty much only use Keeper. LOL

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I use WPS Word and password encrypt a document with all my passwords. It is free, available anywhere from cloud. I am pretty sure the encryption is secure. I think Word has the same feature.

On 5/10/2021 at 11:40 PM, treetops said:

Bolt - cheaper than Grab for taxis.

Airline app - up to date flight info, baggage carousel no, gate no etc depending on airline.

Bus company app - local transport info.

Line/Viber - messaging.

Grab/HungryNow/foodpanda/Line Man - food delivery.

Flight tracker

5 hours ago, 3STTW said:

XE Currency Pro, it doesn’t give you tourist rates but it’s a great ready reckoner for currency conversions.

I would steer clear of hotel booking apps, they may be convenient but you can easily end up paying 10-20% more than a direct booking.

If a hotel starts booking directly after Wuhan Virus debut , the hotel apps will Drop that hotel immediately, they have contracts , you can’t be giving discounts at your hotel or you will be banished whenever I see an old timer saying you can book direct , you must be in a retirement home already , even hotels tell you to sit in lobby and book the hotel , don’t listen to dinosaur about travel in 21st century 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I put passwords up there, but they look like this:

Se?t??e19##

For:

Seattle1975

Sadly, I sometimes forget.  So now, pretty much only use Keeper. LOL

Well those are really really poor passwords and will get cracked quickly even without that document, an example password would be something like this “A6YqUNasnbR_uduTJ28uD-ycxA” that’s why I use 1Password for everything. 

I would say that TripAdvisor is the most crucial travelling app, because they can tell you the best hotels, the best restaurants and the best things to do, and they are extremely active about removing fake reviews.

I also look at Booking.com Google maps and the associated reviews, and have just started using Grab - it's great.

Edited by BenDeCosta

1 hour ago, Ireland32 said:

If a hotel starts booking directly after Wuhan Virus debut , the hotel apps will Drop that hotel immediately, they have contracts , you can’t be giving discounts at your hotel or you will be banished whenever I see an old timer saying you can book direct , you must be in a retirement home already , even hotels tell you to sit in lobby and book the hotel , don’t listen to dinosaur about travel in 21st century 

What a load of BS. I literally spent 1994 - 2016 traveling the globe, mostly staying in hotels. Yes, 16 years of which were in the 21st century.

The reason why these apps make money is because they rely on fools who are unable to develop personal working relationships with hotel groups and their subsidiaries. I can speak of numerous hotel managers who would rather not have anything to do with hotel booking sites/apps - yet they have to because these stupid apps have become ubiquitous. Then there's the relentless torment of unregulated 'review' sites which are populated by entitled wannabes who wanted 10x what they could afford.

Of all the hotels with whom I have made a direct booking, none of them have been "banished" in accordance with your silly, demented notion of the 21st century. In reality, they have been more than willing to accept my reservation and direct payment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Well those are really really poor passwords and will get cracked quickly even without that document, an example password would be something like this “A6YqUNasnbR_uduTJ28uD-ycxA” that’s why I use 1Password for everything. 

Agreed!  I use these for sites like booking cars or hotels.  But never for my financial sites.  I use Keeper and they produce passwords just like that. 

9 hours ago, 3STTW said:

What a load of BS. I literally spent 1994 - 2016 traveling the globe, mostly staying in hotels. Yes, 16 years of which were in the 21st century.

The reason why these apps make money is because they rely on fools who are unable to develop personal working relationships with hotel groups and their subsidiaries. I can speak of numerous hotel managers who would rather not have anything to do with hotel booking sites/apps - yet they have to because these stupid apps have become ubiquitous. Then there's the relentless torment of unregulated 'review' sites which are populated by entitled wannabes who wanted 10x what they could afford.

Of all the hotels with whom I have made a direct booking, none of them have been "banished" in accordance with your silly, demented notion of the 21st century. In reality, they have been more than willing to accept my reservation and direct payment.

They are correct, it's not BS.  Many hotels won't let you book direct.  I've been in hotel lobbies, at the front desk, and told to use an app.  I get the best price that way rather than the rack rate.

Some hotels will let you book direct, but they tend to be the smaller ones.  Even then, not all will do it.

I'd prefer to book direct, but most of the time, impossible to do.  Marriott is OK, but you need to join their program.  Similar to other large hotel chains.

Apps/sites like trivago, tripadvisor, etc, can find you some great rates.  You'll see a variety of different rates depending on the app/site.

I spend 6 months a year in hotels.  All over the world.  Been doing this for over 20 years.  This is my personal and recent experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 3STTW said:

What a load of BS. I literally spent 1994 - 2016 traveling the globe, mostly staying in hotels.

I spent last year in Thailand and travelled roughly two weeks each month from April/May until December, using hotels spread across the country.  Although usually booked in advance there were many times when we'd decide to stay longer and therefore require another booking.  It was never cheaper at the hotel front desk and they would happily advise you to book via Agoda or whoever.

Yes, you can still make direct bookings, but you're not getting the best price.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 3STTW said:

I was doing 100,000 miles a month for 7 years , CR to Asia I’m Not going to argue with you it’s a dead horse to me , you guys believe what you want to believe, but if a booking site catches you , your ........Try that technique after Covid they are bending rules now , but your clueless and won’t listen to facts 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

They are correct, it's not BS.  Many hotels won't let you book direct.  I've been in hotel lobbies, at the front desk, and told to use an app.  I get the best price that way rather than the rack rate.

Some hotels will let you book direct, but they tend to be the smaller ones.  Even then, not all will do it.

I'd prefer to book direct, but most of the time, impossible to do.  Marriott is OK, but you need to join their program.  Similar to other large hotel chains.

Apps/sites like trivago, tripadvisor, etc, can find you some great rates.  You'll see a variety of different rates depending on the app/site.

I spend 6 months a year in hotels.  All over the world.  Been doing this for over 20 years.  This is my personal and recent experience.

Thank you Jeff , you just can’t tell these old timers the time of day , I have sat in lobby’s too many times to mention booking the hotel I’m sitting in , we cannot offer you that rate 

• Like 1