Controversial Thammanat ruling triggers push to reform Constitutional Court

snoop1130

Image-11-5-2564-BE-at-11.13.jpg

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on May 5, 2021.

The Constitutional Court’s controversial ruling last week in favour of Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Thammanat Prompow has upset many people, including supporters of the government.

Thammanat, a key dealmaker and trouble-shooter for the ruling Palang Pracharath Party, was ruled eligible to continue as an MP and remain in the Cabinet despite spending four years in an Australian jail after his 1994 conviction for heroin smuggling.

The court ruled on May 5 that only a jail sentence handed down by a Thai court would bar the offender from holding a post in government.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/controversial-thammanat-ruling-triggers-push-to-reform-constitutional-court/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-05-11

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

as many of us have previously commented, in this banana republic, (used banana republic to avoid... everybody knows what)  one can get away with anything as long as he has the rights friends or belongs to the right/correct family

Just checked the Red Notice list, Interpol...................Vorayuth Yoovidhya......still not on it.........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Excel said:

Absolutely 100% and until the head of snake is removed and these elephant tickets no longer exist , nothing will change in this corrupt and depraved upper echelons of Thai society. The question is who will be able to make it happen ?

Once-upon-a-time in a previous galaxy, there was a chance to change many things with just a couple of easy single syllable words, but unfortunately it wasn't done. 

All sides have their odious 'enforcers'.

Prayut has "Dr." Flour, the Shinawatras' had Captain Earmedicine.

(Quick aside, I once saw Chalerm cruising around Bangkok in his pink Bentley - classy.)

The apparent requirement for these types, clearly indicates wider issues in Thai civil society.

It would be nice to see Thailand mature and the back of all these individuals.

No double standard here is there, for a number of requirements in Thailand farangs need a police check from their own country before proceeding - so it should be reasonable to apply the same ruling for expats - should be. 

20 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Just checked the Red Notice list, Interpol...................Vorayuth Yoovidhya......still not on it.........

Amazing, and after all of the issues at hand.  Wonder what happened to the AG who dropped the charges, didn't he get his retirement and pension, and then get a cushy government job again somewhere.  Money talks and BS walks

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Amazing, and after all of the issues at hand.  Wonder what happened to the AG who dropped the charges, didn't he get his retirement and pension, and then get a cushy government job again somewhere.  Money talks and BS walks

Just written to Interpol to ask if they have ever received a request he be Red Listed........it might have been refused by Interpol for some reason.......but my money is on no request ever having been made.

27 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Just written to Interpol to ask if they have ever received a request he be Red Listed........it might have been refused by Interpol for some reason.......but my money is on no request ever having been made.

And if you insist on poking a hornet's nest with a stick, eventually you will get stung. Stay well out of it.

• Like 1

Just now, herfiehandbag said:

There was a chance to change things by marking a cross on a ballot paper, but then it was ignored...

Interesting.....the Tory Government, in the UK, is pressing ahead with a bill to restrict voting rights to people in possession of a  photo ID................... this will disenfranchised 100,000's of labour voters..........in the last GE there were six incidents of attempted voter fraud...........I know who the biggest frauds are!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

Interesting.....the Tory Government, in the UK, is pressing ahead with a bill to restrict voting rights to people in possession of a  photo ID................... this will disenfranchised 100,000's of labour voters..........in the last GE there were six incidents of attempted voter fraud...........I know who the biggest frauds are!

I didn't know so many Labour voters didn't have driving licences!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

The problem is that, despite the fact that it's easy to get photo ID in the UK, it always costs money to do so. So although having a photo ID to vote seems like a very sensible idea and a good way to prevent voter fraud, there are always going to be people who don't want to pay the best part of a hundred quid to get a new passport just to vote, and people who have not passed their driving license. Therefore, it is potentially discriminatory against people who have no money, who have in the past been more likely to vote Labour. Last time I voted in the UK I was just asked for my name and address.

However, in the US, where there has been ongoing claims about voter fraud, I fully support voters being asked to provide some ID, but it doesn't need to be photo ID, maybe just a utility bill, and surely that would be enough to make the results more believable. I am not sure if there was any voter fraud at all in the USA, but if there were more stringent checks, the argument could be put to bed. Therefore, if Democrats genuinely believe that they won  the election, they should be supporting these measures, but they are vehemently opposing them which is suspicious.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

There was a chance to change things by marking a cross on a ballot paper, but then it was ignored...

Apparently that wouldn’t have happened either because those ballots were reproduced and stacked in one dishonest direction to have a certain you know who never lose.  

• Like 2