xenophobic vaccination policy: only in Thailand?

Aeiou7

Official sources in Thailand seem to openly admit that foreigners are getting vaccinated against Covid-19 with lower priority than Thai citizens. I find this policy xenophobic and wonder if it is unique in the world or if there may be other countries that do the same thing. Does anyone know?

I searched the web but only found references to Thailand's priorities and to the general principle that foreigners get vaccinated in their countries of residence, independent from any citicenship. I also checked specifically other countries that are known for their xenophobia like Japan but still didn't find anything.

If the Thai way of defining vaccination priorities is unique in the world or at least almost unique, with possibly a few exceptions:
Should there be international sanctions against Thailand? What is your opinion?

Edited by Aeiou7
forgot 1 word
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2021 at 4:59 PM, friendofthai said:

Maybe thais think that those who are too xenophobic with Chinese Sinovac vaccines should experience xenophobic vaccination policy.

Maybe not...  I know many Thais who are Sinovac-critical, maybe even more than foreigners.

I will happily accept the Sinovac vaccine when it is finally available to foreigners in Thailand, it's much better than not being vaccinated at all, and I know several foreigners who agree.

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

in Phase I, foreigners have been getting vaccinated on same basis as Thais and quiet a few received it.

Great news, thanks! I wasn't aware of this and was referring to 

1) what I read in English-speaking media articles, valid nation wide

2) the policy of Koh Phangan Hospital which is relevant to me with the priorities communicated as:
- First Thais, with a higher priority for more vulnerable people (with certain conditions but not necessarily age as they will not get Sinovac which will be available first, but AZ which will be available later) and more exposed people (basically health care and tourism staff)
- Second migrant workers
- Third other foreigners, meaning Farangs ????

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

IMO it is at this point impossible to discern a single, consistent, cogent government policy on this (or for that matter much of anything COVID related).

Yup, indeed!

12 hours ago, Aeiou7 said:

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Can Foreigners pay for the vaccine privately ?  (in Bumrungrad hospital) ?

or, do you mean that the international hospitals are not allowing foreigners to book appointments for vaccines until later this year ?

By the way, is it just hospitals and government centers that will be offering vaccines? or will smaller clinics also be offering them ?

41 minutes ago, bluebird729 said:

or, do you mean that the international hospitals are not allowing foreigners to book appointments for vaccines until later this year ?

By the way, is it just hospitals and government centers that will be offering vaccines? or will smaller clinics also be offering them ?

Foreigners can pay privately at private hospitals. So can Thais.

Besides hospitals, various temporary vaccine sites are being proposed/set up. There has nto been any discussion of including smaller clinics and I doubt it.  Not logistically effective and hard to control.

3 hours ago, bluebird729 said:

Bumrungrad is not currently taking any registration for vaccines for their patients, (according to the recording on their telephone line 020668888). I understand from what I have read, that they have previously allowed registration, but I assume it is now filled, and/or they do not have sufficient vaccine available at the moment. Those who have apparently successfully registered, and received an appointment, will be able to advise whether they will have to pay.

31 minutes ago, samtam said:

Bumrungrad is not currently taking any registration for vaccines for their patients, (according to the recording on their telephone line 020668888). I understand from what I have read, that they have previously allowed registration, but I assume it is now filled, and/or they do not have sufficient vaccine available at the moment. Those who have apparently successfully registered, and received an appointment, will be able to advise whether they will have to pay.

That does seem strange!  I guess they will reopen registrations at some time in the future, but are now fully booked up!

From Richard Barrow:                     The policy of “Thais first” is nothing to do with the schools. They want all of their staff to be vaccinated including the janitors. According to the LINE message we received, it’s our local health office who want to vaccinate the Thai teachers first. Foreigners will be later.     

I am not surprised. I am a foreigner who is under 60 and in good health.

I have 2 choices: Wait for a long time or fly back to the US.

Edited by sqwakvfr

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Actually

1. If you are referring to current vaccination, in Phase I, foreigners have been getting vaccinated on same basis as Thais and quiet a few received it. Only in high risk hot spots of course, and generally migrant workers, as Phase I is limited to front line health workers and special "hotspots".

2. If you are referring to Phase II, vaccination of the over 60's and chronically ill, it has not yet started, neither has Phase III, vaccination of the general public. So it is too soon to say that foreigners are being vaccinated at a lower rate.

Various  government officials have issued all manner of completely contradictory statements on this, sometimes at the rate of every day,  ranging from "full equal access for all" to "only after Thais have been vaccinated first" and everything in between.

IMO it is at this point impossible to discern a single, consistent, cogent government policy on this (or for that matter much of anything COVID related).

I know a thai lady 40yo who got the vaccine yesterday, I don't know of any farang on retirement extensions or tourist visas who have had the vaccine, plus nothing saying they can register for govt vaccine

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I know a thai lady 40yo who got the vaccine yesterday, I don't know of any farang on retirement extensions or tourist visas who have had the vaccine, plus nothing saying they can register for govt vaccine

Phase I is only for health workers and people in very high risk occupations/locations, not many farangs fall into those categories but many migrant workers have. (As far as government is concerned they are also foreigners).

For Phase II, quite a few farang have registered (including myself). In some cases village workers came to them, asking them to.

It is all over the map in terms of what is happening and varies widely by location. Some places people can register, some places they can't. I doubt the chaos will improve much as central level seems incapable of issuing clear consistent directives,

• Like 2

"The Writing is on the wall".  Foreigners under 60 and without underlying health conditions will be very low on the priority(possibly an oxymoron when it comes to foreigners in LOS) list.  I am waiting to see how the Tokyo Olympics turn out before I take an international trip.  If the Tokyo Olympics ends up being a major virus event then it will negatively effect international air travel.  

Do not wait on this government, If you can seek out other vaccination options.  

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

"The Writing is on the wall".  Foreigners under 60 and without underlying health conditions will be very low on the priority(possibly an oxymoron when it comes to foreigners in LOS) list.  I am waiting to see how the Tokyo Olympics turn out before I take an international trip.  If the Tokyo Olympics ends up being a major virus event then it will negatively effect international air travel.  

Do not wait on this government, If you can seek out other vaccination options.  

Indeed.  Any foreigner here relying on the government is very foolish.  Just register yourself!

Screenshot (249).png

If this is anything to go by, (and it may not be, given the inconsistencies that abound), those of us who were successfully registered using Mor Prom on Line, and given appointment dates, times and hospital, may find we get a similar response nearer to the appointment date, unless the rollout of AZ has started, and there are sufficient vaccinations available to meet demand.

Edited by samtam