500,000 Doses of Sinovac Vaccines Arrive

snoop1130

15 hours ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

So 500K are FREE what about the other 2mil??
I've head they are way way more expensive than Pfizer which everyone wants.

Probably they get Thailand in exchange.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chilly07 said:

I see Canada has 500000 doses of AZ they received through Covax and don't want. Perhaps now Our Dear Leader can join and take them. I think the UK and the USA have surplus AZ too. Perhaps he could ask for them as they will end up with Covax too? Never mind we will accept Wufluvax as it's free and comparatively innefective although apparently it works well in Wufluland?

And works very well indeed against hospitalization and death in all the trials and surveys that have been run all over the globe.

This Chinese vaccine is only 50.6% effective.  In clinical trials of more than 40,000 participants, the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine was 95% effective against COVID-19. In clinical trials of more than 30,000 participants, the Moderna vaccine was 94% effective against COVID-19. 

I'll wait and pay, thank you

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Posts calling the Sinovac vaccine "garbage" and the like have been removed as that simply does nto equate with the facts.

Reasoned, informed posts about the pros and cons of the vaccine are fine.

It does have lower efficacy than AZ etc. That is true. It is not, however, without efficacy.

It's main "pro" is that it is available now and other vaccines are not, making it valuable especially for use in areas experiencing active outbreaks. Contributing to public mistrust is not helpful or constructive. To fail to intervene in locations like Klong Touey would be disasterous.

Anyone who actually wants to know about the vaccine, and make an informed decision, read the attached. There are some issues certainly but it is hardly the "poison" some posters are making it out to be.

In fact the evidence for both its safety and efficacy in people under age 60 is quite solid. Not the same level of efficacy as some other vaccines, true. But still of benefit.

Sinovac WHO.pdf 4.51 MB · 0 downloads

And a lot of the negative talk as much to do with a general mistrust of anything Chinese out of prejudice

13 minutes ago, Haloids said:

This Chinese vaccine is only 50.6% effective.  In clinical trials of more than 40,000 participants, the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine was 95% effective against COVID-19. In clinical trials of more than 30,000 participants, the Moderna vaccine was 94% effective against COVID-19. 

Actually efficacy ranged from 50 - 84% across the 4 countries (none of them China) in which Phase 3 clinical trials were conducted. The lower end was in Brazil i.e. efficacy is lower against the Brazil variant.

That is for symptomatic COVID. For symptoms serious enough to require hospitalization, 84-100% effective.

Contrary to what some assume, the Phase III trials were not run by the Chinese. And the Evidence Assessment just released by WHO was not done by WHO staff but rather by an independent body of international experts from multiple countries - none of them China.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Haloids said:

First of all, there were several trials, and that was the lowest number for its efficacy. And, as I guess has to be repeated ad nauseam, efficacy refers only to how well it prevents infection - any infection. The fact is that in all the trials, Coronavac is very effective against serious symptoms and death. Right now, there is an ongoing trial of Coronovac in the Brazilian town of Serrana. 98% of its adults were vaccinated with Coronavac. 

Maskless in Brazil: Chinese vaccine creates pandemic oasis

SAO PAULO -- Serrana, a town about a four-hour drive from the city of Sao Paulo, seems worlds away from the coronavirus outbreak overwhelming the rest of Brazil.

During a visit to the commuter town of about 45,000 last week, people chatted together cheerfully on benches along a major thoroughfare. No masks were in sight, thanks to a vaccination campaign that has successfully inoculated 97.7% of Serrana's adult residents with a Chinese-made shot and grabbed the attention of coronavirus researchers the world over.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/COVID-vaccines/Maskless-in-Brazil-Chinese-vaccine-creates-pandemic-oasis

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

First of all, there were several trials, and that was the lowest number for its efficacy. And, as I guess has to be repeated ad nauseam, efficacy refers only to how well it prevents infection - any infection. The fact is that in all the trials, Coronavac is very effective against serious symptoms and death. Right now, there is an ongoing trial of Coronovac in the Brazilian town of Serrana. 98% of its adults were vaccinated with Coronavac. 

Maskless in Brazil: Chinese vaccine creates pandemic oasis

SAO PAULO -- Serrana, a town about a four-hour drive from the city of Sao Paulo, seems worlds away from the coronavirus outbreak overwhelming the rest of Brazil.

During a visit to the commuter town of about 45,000 last week, people chatted together cheerfully on benches along a major thoroughfare. No masks were in sight, thanks to a vaccination campaign that has successfully inoculated 97.7% of Serrana's adult residents with a Chinese-made shot and grabbed the attention of coronavirus researchers the world over.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/COVID-vaccines/Maskless-in-Brazil-Chinese-vaccine-creates-pandemic-oasis

For more information on CoronaVac, please read here:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/reckless-rush-to-reopen-threatens-chiles-exemplary-vaccination-strategy/

CoronaVac is only thought to be 3% effective after the first dose and 56% effective two weeks after the second. 

In the Seychelles, most of its population has been vaccinated with Sinopharm and cases are surging. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/business/economy/covid-seychelles-sinopharm.html

I mean sure, it's more effective than no vaccine, but only in the same way that eating grass is during a famine. 

Edited by thisisrascal

2 hours ago, thisisrascal said:

For more information on CoronaVac, please read here:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/reckless-rush-to-reopen-threatens-chiles-exemplary-vaccination-strategy/

CoronaVac is only thought to be 3% effective after the first dose and 56% effective two weeks after the second. 

In the Seychelles, most of its population has been vaccinated with Sinopharm and cases are surging. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/business/economy/covid-seychelles-sinopharm.html

I mean sure, it's more effective than no vaccine, but only in the same way that eating grass is during a famine. 

It's way more powerful against seriious symptoms and death. Why is it so hard for some people to understand that "efficay" and "effectiveness" when used by epidemiologists only measures how potent a vaccine is in stopping any infection It has nothing to do with the seriousness of the infection and how well a vaccine suppresses serious infections and death.

Edited by placeholder
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2021 at 7:48 PM, shdmn said:

The west is free to donate if they want.  Strings attached or not I don't see anyone in the west rushing to do that.  The US is still hoarding vaccine and raw materials even though they have ample supply for themselves.  Thus ends todays lesson why China has more influence.

This is the US, correct.

But the EU is the biggest contributor to the COVAX scheme, and this is via the WHO and different to the "vaccine diplomacy" of the two dictatorships China and Russia.

Where do you think are all the "Pfizer" doses were produced which are used in 3rd world countries, but also in countries like Singapore? They were produced in the EU, in Belgium and in Germany, where also the company is located which developed the "Pfizer"-vaccine, and this is BioNTech.

Pfizer in the US did not export until recently, and only to Mexico so far, because under the national defence act there first the Americans have to get vaccine.

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 12:00 PM, newnative said:

A very small drop into a very large bucket that needs to be filled.  But, hey, not nothing.  Where's America's donation???!!!  Come on America, get with the program and create some good will for a change.  

Why should anyone donate, Thailand should get its own house in order. 

On 5/15/2021 at 5:47 PM, Sheryl said:

Posts calling the Sinovac vaccine "garbage" and the like have been removed as that simply does nto equate with the facts.

Reasoned, informed posts about the pros and cons of the vaccine are fine.

It does have lower efficacy than AZ etc. That is true. It is not, however, without efficacy.

It's main "pro" is that it is available now and other vaccines are not, making it valuable especially for use in areas experiencing active outbreaks. Contributing to public mistrust is not helpful or constructive. To fail to intervene in locations like Klong Touey would be disasterous.

Anyone who actually wants to know about the vaccine, and make an informed decision, read the attached. There are some issues certainly but it is hardly the "poison" some posters are making it out to be.

In fact the evidence for both its safety and efficacy in people under age 60 is quite solid. Not the same level of efficacy as some other vaccines, true. But still of benefit.

Sinovac WHO.pdf 4.51 MB · 9 downloads

All Vaccines will keep you out of a ICU bed, That's great. The problem with Sinovac and others you can still contract Covid even after the vaccination. You could still get sick .I dont want to get sick. Pfizer (95%), Moderna (94%) and the Russian vaccine (92%) are the only vaccine that will protect you from contracting Covid . Sinovac efficacy rate is 50.4% The worst out of all of them. The choice is easy for me. Moderna or Pfzer

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, club said:

All Vaccines will keep you out of a ICU bed, That's great. The problem with Sinovac and others you can still contract Covid even after the vaccination. You could still get sick .I dont want to get sick. Pfizer (95%), Moderna (94%) and the Russian vaccine (92%) are the only vaccine that will protect you from contracting Covid . Sinovac efficacy rate is 50.4% The worst out of all of them. The choice is easy for me. Moderna or Pfzer

First of all, that 50.4% figure is the lowest efficacy rate from the vaccine's trials. And if you have a choice, of course Moderna and Pfizer are the better options. If you have a choice. But if not, and not getting seriously ill or even dying are important to you, then Coronavirus is very potent against those outcomes. And when Moderna or Pfizer are available, you can get inoculated with them, too.