Forum upgrade in progress! ×

MARRIAGE EXTENSION renewal at Khon Kaen immigration

10 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

September 2020 I was told by Khon Kaen IO to be prepared on my next extension (retirement) to provide the source of income when using the monthly income from abroad method.

No such requirement to provide source of income for extension based on marriage.

If using the income method only required to prove income of 40K per month (not the source).

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I've always supplied two 7'' x 5'' photo's per A4 sheet.

1. Outside on road showing full width of house with number.

2. Outside front doors (patio).

3. In the lounge.

4. Sat on bed.

Never had an issue.

Thanks for that.
I consider a change from retirement just to avoid the waste of money for a Thai health insurance required for people who entered on a Non O-A visa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Thanks for that.
I consider a change from retirement just to avoid the waste of money for a Thai health insurance required for people who entered on a Non O-A visa.

Not just that.

There have been a few changes over the last couple of years, all retirement related.

No changes on the basis of marriage, still same, same.

Even applying for a Non O from a Thai Embassy on the basis of retirement the Health Insurance is required. Not required if applying based on marriage. Even when semi commercial flights were allowed to return last year. Those married to Thais were one of the first groups allowed to return.

There were plenty of foreigners married to Thais, but had extensions based on retirement, who could not return for some time.

For the small disadvantages (few extra docs + 2 sets of copies) of applying based on marriage, in my opinion, out ways the disadvantages of recent changes and possible future changes applying based on retirement.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They certainly do ask for it at some offices. I have had to show it for 2 extensions using the income option proven by transfers.

It is actually mentioned in the immigration order amending clause 2.18 of immigration order 138/2557.

image.png.c5599bef3dd687d70fd6463311543643.png

That was a complete cock and rush job up by ''Big Joke'' allowing monthly transfers into a Thai bank as supporting financial evidence when certain Embassies stopped issuing income letters.

I can't disagree what it states under 2.18, (2), but the same text was taken from 2.22 (1) of the same order and a big oversight on his part. It is what it is, but it's wrong.

I've never know anyone be asked for proof of source of income applying under 2.18, your the first.

As you can officially marry from 20 years of age, what foreigner at that age, or even under 50,  will be in receipt of a pension, investments,  or interest with an income of 40K per month.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I've never know anyone be asked for proof of source of income applying under 2.18, your the first.

I have read several reports of immigration wanting proof of the source of the income and being denied due to not having it.

One case I recall is of a person that owned a company in his home country and immigration would not accept proof his income came from the company.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They certainly do ask for it at some offices. I have had to show it for 2 extensions using the income option proven by transfers.

It is actually mentioned in the immigration order amending clause 2.18 of immigration order 138/2557.

image.png.c5599bef3dd687d70fd6463311543643.png

Yes. Kalasin IO is one.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:
3 hours ago, KeeTua said:

September 2020 I was told by Khon Kaen IO to be prepared on my next extension (retirement) to provide the source of income when using the monthly income from abroad method.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

No such requirement to provide source of income for extension based on marriage.

If using the income method only required to prove income of 40K per month (not the source).

The first additional thing that the IO asked me for, when I first applied for a marriage extension at Sakon Nakhon was source of income. (They come under the same regional office as Khon Kaen of course)

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The volatile requirement is the photos.

What, how many, size etc.

I consider changing to marriage extension in September and still no exact idea.

Why not go to your local I O and ask them for a list. I use Trat I.O. and consider them to be one of the strictest, but if you follow their rules, then no problems. here is their list. Hope this helps. At least 6 photos! And of course my favorite NUM 14IMG_1417.thumb.JPG.b0effba43127f1c3ce5a7cb308ef843a.JPGIMG_1418.thumb.jpg.a43a109f3590e5a022c6f06050de4a21.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Also Trat. as shown in my last post. Num 7 on the list.

Plus the proof of pension needs to be certified by the "embassy or consulate of the country with the same nationality as the applicant". So effectively that would appear to mean that it's 400k in the bank or no marriage extension for American, Australian and British applicants at Trat.

20 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Plus the proof of pension needs to be certified by the "embassy or consulate of the country with the same nationality as the applicant". So effectively that would appear to mean that it's 400k in the bank or no marriage extension for American, Australian and British applicants at Trat.

That list is over 2 years out of date. It does not mention monthly transfers from abroad. 

I guess you would have to show them the immigration order allowing them to get the extension done.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That list is over 2 years out of date. It does not mention monthly transfers from abroad. 

I guess you would have to show them the immigration order allowing them to get the extension done.

Thanks for pointing that out, Point taken ubon, but as it was Me who managed to get them to translate the list from Thai to English in the first place, it is only that section, that is, as you put it is 'out of date'. I will point it out to them on my next visit in 2mths time, and see if any update has been done, if not i'll have a word and let them know. The rest of the list is still applicable, to the best of my knowledge.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:45 PM, Tanoshi said:

I'm shocked and surprised.

So the message is if under 50, married to a Thai, no proof of pension, interest or investments of 40K per month, the 400K in the bank is the only option.

I got an extension for having Thai kids. Only needed 400k in the bank and a letter. They asked for the money to be in the bank for 1 month but never asked for any proof.

My one beef with KK immigration was the price of the photocopies. One time they asked me for 7.5 baht per page. Daylight robbery, especially in a police department. 

They were reported a few years ago for having a tip box and need reported again for their extortion in many areas. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I got an extension for having Thai kids. Only needed 400k in the bank and a letter. They asked for the money to be in the bank for 1 month but never asked for any proof.

Your never asked for proof of the source when having either the 400 or 800K in the bank.

It's when using the monthly income transfers that you can be asked for the source of that income, but until as reported here, I'd never known in be requested for extension based on marriage.

Retirement - yes.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

My one beef with KK immigration was the price of the photocopies. One time they asked me for 7.5 baht per page. Daylight robbery, especially in a police department. 

They were reported a few years ago for having a tip box and need reported again for their extortion in many areas. 

KK appears to be a hub of corruption.

It's where a lot of the agents obtain 'unorthodox' extensions from.

TIP boxes were all but exclusive for Khon Kaen until big boss shouted foul.

7.5 Baht copy, daylight robbery. Hmm.
The only one that I need (can't do ahead) is the ridiculous copy of the receipt.

Cost me 5 Baht. I still have sleep problems from.

On the plus side: got my 100 Baht change for the 1900 Baht fee without asking for ????

21 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It's where a lot of the agents obtain 'unorthodox' extensions from.

Seems you have not much insight what happens at other immigrations?

Pattaya where a mandatory health insurance (Non O-A status) turns into some laughable accident insurance for about 6k per year.

20 to 30 kBaht "trouble free" extensions exclusive to Khon Kaen? Dream on.

Edited by KhunBENQ

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It's criminal, how on earth do they get away with it? 

Did you read that the PM wants to layout a 20 year(!) plan to eradicate corruption in Thailand.

Or did I miss the irony in your post?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Seems you have not much insight what happens at other immigrations?

Pattaya where a mandatory health insurance (Non O-A status) turns into some laughable accident insurance for about 6k per year.

20 to 30 kBaht extensions exclusive to Khon Kaen? Dream on.

I said KK was a hub for corruption, not exclusive to that one IO.

Given the chance, every IO has corrupt individuals that will try it on the unsuspecting foreigner.

I know of at least 3 'agents' that use KK for extensions, that's big money for the boys.

• Like 1