Thailand reports 2,636 COVID-19 cases, 25 new deaths

webfact

2021-05-05T052920Z_1_LYNXMPEH44066_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

Thailand on Thursday (May 20) reported 2,636 new COVID-19 cases and 25 more deaths over the past 24 hours.

● 1,965 new infections

● 671 prison / prison infections

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 119,585 with 703 deaths.

The news comes as Thailand aims to vaccinate 70% of people by September. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-20

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Street hawkers risk COVID-19 infection to make a living

Despite the new wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has seen many more cases and deaths than last year, many street hawkers and vendors are still out and about in Bangkok to earn money, even if it means putting themselves at risk of getting infected.

One such hawker told Thai PBS that she still has to sell her traditional Thai dessert, called “Khanom Tom” or coconut balls, to make a living. She said, because of the pandemic, however, she only sells half of the 10 kilograms she used to sell per day.

“My income is much lower than before, because people are too scared to go out. Before the pandemic, I managed to earn 1,000 baht a day. Now I earn only 500. That’s down by half. I’m also scared of being infected, because I’m out on the street, but I have to do it.”

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/street-hawkers-risk-covid-19-infection-to-make-a-living/

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Thailand on Thursday reported a lower number of new Covid-19 infections both inside and outside prisons at 2,636 cases and 25 new deaths.

The Public Health Ministry said that in the past 24 hours there were 2,636 new patients, with 671 in prisons. The death toll meanwhile increased by 25.

Some 2,268 patients have recovered and been discharged.

Cumulative cases in the country stand at 119,585, with 703 deaths.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001080

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes cases outside prisons seem to be around 2000 all the time. Its constant no change. So they are controlling it in a way. I mean the lockdown is helping but  not enough. I doubt that it will change anytime soon. These numbers are here to stay. So no relaxation anytime soon in BKK. 

Makes things quite boring, but unless the vaccinate everyone this will never go away.

Yep, as long as the people who go to the hospital with symptoms continues at this pace, we are going to see 2000 new cases a, day. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thailand on Thursday reported a lower number of new Covid-19 infections both inside and outside prisons at 2,636 cases and 25 new deaths.

The Public Health Ministry said that in the past 24 hours there were 2,636 new patients, with 671 in prisons. The death toll meanwhile increased by 25.

Some 2,268 patients have recovered and been discharged.

Cumulative cases in the country stand at 119,585, with 703 deaths.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001080

This works out to about 250-300 hospital beds freed up today. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Well, I suppose as Brian said, 'always look on the bright side of life'.

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Government has to loan extra money for the economy (was in the news a few days back) seems there is a big shortage of money.

Maybe they can approach a certain person, no names mentioned for a big loan, interest free of course ?

The National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC) has pointed out that the two factors which are important for boosting Thailand’s economy this year are global trade and progress in the COVID-19 vaccine rollout.

NESDC secretary-general Danucha Pichayanan said Thailand’s gross domestic product (GDP) in the first quarter of this year contracted by 2.6%, because the third wave of COVID-19 infections has hurt the economy and tourism industry.

He said, however, it was a marked improvement from the 4.2% contraction in the fourth quarter last year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Beds keep filling up as more fill beds then are released. Try again. Look at the new field hospital now up and running as well.  

Try to stay abreast.. Prisoners are nothospitalised with general population.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

How do you work that out when there are more new cases than releases?Do you even read the reports or have you already made up your mind what it is?

Because the 600 infected prisoners do not go into the general population hospitals. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I'm wondering about all the clusters. Maybe we have to wait a big longer for the numbers to come through. 

I've noticed some report the number of clusters as if it's the low number that is important.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I've noticed some report the number of clusters as if it's the low number that is important.

I see they're locking them in now the so-called "bubble and seal" Poor buggers their conditions are dreadful to start with. The numbers must go up as like Samut Sakhon they are all locked up together. 34 clusters this virus will run amok. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1