Thailand reports 2,636 COVID-19 cases, 25 new deaths

webfact

11 hours ago, Marvin Hagler said:

At this stage of the game it is impossible that these are isolated clusters...they appear as clusters as they focus testing here.

As every other country has experienced, it is at this stage that it is out of control. You can’t control this now with isolated actions. It’s at the stage now where the only thing that will control it is lockdowns or vaccinations.

The case numbers do not reflect reality.

Just the opposite. Testing in Bangkok shows many areas have very low infection rates, apart from the clusters of higher infection rates.

The authorities will eliminate the pockets of high infection, using their Whack a Mole tactic.

• Haha 1

Sharp rise in Chonburi infections this morning.

Posted in 'Thailand News'.

#Chonburi Covid-19 new and confirmed cases steeply rise to 127, new clusters found at factory and migrant worker camp in Phan Thong and Mueang Chonburi, almost all migrant workers living in densely populated circumstances. https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/21/chonburi-covid-19-cases-steeply-rise-to-127-after-new-clusters-found-at-factory-and-migrant-worker-camp/

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Sharp rise in Chonburi infections this morning.

Posted in 'Thailand News'.

#Chonburi Covid-19 new and confirmed cases steeply rise to 127, new clusters found at factory and migrant worker camp in Phan Thong and Mueang Chonburi, almost all migrant workers living in densely populated circumstances. https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/21/chonburi-covid-19-cases-steeply-rise-to-127-after-new-clusters-found-at-factory-and-migrant-worker-camp/

oops, "whack a mole" not working then?

Definition: a situation in which repeated efforts to resolve a problem are frustrated by the problem reappearing

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Just the opposite. Testing in Bangkok shows many areas have very low infection rates, apart from the clusters of higher infection rates.

The authorities will eliminate the pockets of high infection, using their Whack a Mole tactic.

Now seeing that the testing in Chonburi needed to go a little further, as they were just playing whack a mole as well it seems. Oops.....

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

If we discount the areas of high infection rates the Bangkok only has areas of low infections rates.Couldn't have said it better myself absolute classic statement.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If we discount the areas of high infection rates the Bangkok only has areas of low infections rates.Couldn't have said it better myself absolute classic statement.

However, test everywhere and they will find more cases, more clusters.  Everyone and all locations have the potential to become a cluster with just 1 person infected and infecting others.  How many is enough for them to test, and then in comparison how long is a piece of string.  His statement is inaccurate as the day is long for the reasons stated above.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

oops, "whack a mole" not working then?

Definition: a situation in which repeated efforts to resolve a problem are frustrated by the problem reappearing

They uncovered some new clusters, you seem surprised by this.

Infections are concentrated in areas closest to Bangkok. Only 9 cases in Pattaya.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

As opposed to uniform high infections. I guess describing the situation in Bangkok is too confusing for you.

Most of Bangkok has low infection rates, with some pockets of higher infection. Not so hard to understand.

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No surprise there. Exactly what is to be expected with the whack a mole tactic you said they are using

You are correct. Until and unless they perform nationwide random testing, they have to play Whack a Mole, as they did during the first 2 waves. And continue to quarantine anyone with a positive Covid test.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

That is like saying the murder rate of Chicago, would drop to zero, if they excluded all the areas where the murders occur... absolutely dumb!

No one would say that.

In Real Life, everyone is saying now that new infections in Thailand, outside of the prison system, are mostly concentrated in the areas around Bangkok, and that new infections elsewhere are fairly low. I am sorry that this is hard for you to understand.

IF Bangkok had a uniform high positivity rate, then things would be dire. But Bangkok has a low positivity rate outside of the pockets.

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are correct. Until and unless they perform nationwide random testing, they have to play Whack a Mole, as they did during the first 2 waves. And continue to quarantine anyone with a positive Covid test.

So I just wonder why you asked why I was surprised? Whack a mole with the UK Variant does not work.

Edited by Bkk Brian

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

No one would say that.

In Real Life, everyone is saying now that new infections in Thailand, outside of the prison system, are mostly concentrated in the areas around Bangkok, and that new infections elsewhere are fairly low. I am sorry that this is hard for you to understand.

IF Bangkok had a uniform high positivity rate, then things would be dire. But Bangkok has a low positivity rate outside of the pockets.

I understand a smokescreen when I see one.!

What amazes me is you fail to understand that it would be very much expected that pockets or concentrations of a highly infectious disease would occur in such 'concentrations'. They are still infections within the Bangkok Metropolitan area and  will be reported as such. Attempt to limit their spread by focusing on those areas, yes, and I might suggest throwing a cordon around them with restricted movement. Until that is happening those infections can expand wherever the people move. I am also inclines to ask Bangkok people to stay in the City.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

So I just wonder why you asked why I was surprised?

Nobody cares why I do anything.

What is important is to characterize the situation accurately: the wave has crested, there is little growth in new infections, but pockets of infection are being identified. On days when a big pocket(s) is discovered, the numbers of new infections will go up, on other days, the numbers will go down. Of course, the prison numbers are still very high. Fortunately, very few infected prisoners enter the general hospital system.

What is not happening is discovery of a province or even an amphur with a high uniform infection rate.

so, no disaster is in the offing, and all the Doomsayers can do now is nitpick as the wave recedes.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I understand a smokescreen when I see one.!

What amazes me is you fail to understand that it would be very much expected that pockets or concentrations of a highly infectious disease would occur in such 'concentrations'. They are still infections within the Bangkok Metropolitan area and  will be reported as such. Attempt to limit their spread by focusing on those areas, yes,, and I might suggest throwing a cordon around them with restricted movement. Until that is happening those infections can expand wherever the people move. 

I agree with you 100%. Whack a Mole assumes there will be pockets of infection, as opposed to district or citywide high infection.

and more testing is needed.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Nobody cares why I do anything.

What is important is to characterize the situation accurately: the wave has crested, there is little growth in new infections, but pockets of infection are being identified. On days when a big pocket(s) is discovered, the numbers of new infections will go up, on other days, the numbers will go down. Of course, the prison numbers are still very high. Fortunately, very few infected prisoners enter the general hospital system.

What is not happening is discovery of a province or even an amphur with a high uniform infection rate.

so, no disaster is in the offing, and all the Doomsayers can do now is nitpick as the wave recedes.

You glossed over my question............no surprise

When did the wave crest? 17th May there was another.

Defending a whack a mole tactic really just shows your ignorance.

Edited by Bkk Brian

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

When did the wave crest? 17th May there was another.

Defending a whack a mole tactic really just shows your ignorance.

Looking at a 7 day moving average (daily numbers are far too random), we certainly seem to be in the midst of a steep rise in new infections. The optimist in me tries to say this is due to only recent efforts to include those in prisons.....  my optimist frequently gets a kick in the pants.

• Like 1

BREAKING: Thai health ministry reporting 32 deaths and 3,481 cases (*) on Friday. Full update at 12:30pm.

118 May: 2,473 - 35 dead

19 May: 3,394 - 29 dead

20 May: 2,636 - 25 dead

21 May: 3,481 - 32 dead <— TODAY

* 951 from prisons

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1395547636875239424

Edited by anchadian
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, anchadian said:

For those interested the columns are.

New Infections      From Prisons

Total New Infections

Cured/Home     Total Healed

(Total Patients?)          Deaths

Edited by jacko45k

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Looking at a 7 day moving average (daily numbers are far too random), we certainly seem to be in the midst of a steep rise in new infections. The optimist in me tries to say this is due to only recent efforts to include those in prisons.....  my optimist frequently gets a kick in the pants.

Your numbers include prison infections.

Just now, jacko45k said:

I know, I said as much and hardly need reminding. So now you feel prison numbers should not be included?

To determine the infection rate in the general population, use numbers for the general population.

To determine prison infection rates, use numbers for the prisons.

you guys mix and match the two datasets, depending on what point you want to make.

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

General population infections are still lower than the peak of 2800, 3 weeks ago.

You have been insisting the peak is over for 3 weeks and yet on the 17th May there was 2,773. You are nit picking, not a good trait.

Just now, Danderman123 said:

To determine the infection rate in the general population, use numbers for the general population.

To determine prison infection rates, use numbers for the prisons.

you guys mix and match the two datasets, depending on what point you want to make.

If those prisoners are then taken to quarantine hospitals with the general public, it suggests they are being included as part of the general population. The impact on statistics is an aberration as they were previously not included  (nor even tested) .

You also seem to want to massage the numbers by firstly excluding Bangkok pockets and now prison numbers. 

If we present a total Thailand number, it should represent all Thailand. 

• Like 1