Any one have any experience with personal tax codes?

My UK bank has requested a Thai personal tax code.

Not had one before, have not worked in Thailand and do not intend to. Only just started to receive a pension, transfer only what I need for living expenses.

When arrived, was told as I did not work I did not have to pay tax. This I have found not to be true but getting a code as proven to be awkward. 

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

why would a UK bank want a Thai tax code? I never heard of this before

They want to know where you are resident for tax purposes due to CRS ( https://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exchange/common-reporting-standard/ ) and if you say Thailand then they ask for a Thai TIN. 

It has been going on for a few years now. Many people would not tell their bank and/or may be still be tax resident in their home country anyway so would just use their NI no. if in the UK.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

why would a UK bank want a Thai tax code? I never heard of this before

Not  tax code, a tax ID number. A tax code is a UK thing which tells other how much tax you have to pay etc. A tx I is just a tax payer reference number which identifies the person to the tax authorities.

• Like 1

I run (or at least try to) a couple of businesses in the UK, own a condo in Thailand and have interests in several properties in the UK. I simply fail to understand why UK citizens put themselves through a shedload of butt hurt by telling anyone when they retire or move to Thailand to live. Keep it simple. The UK banks <deleted> themselves as soon as anything "foreign" takes place and they want to drop you like stone because they cannot upsell you on useless banking and insurance. The HMRC are always happy so long as they are collecting whatever they can on your UK income/assets. If I ever get the chance to retire (unlikely for many years now due to the pandemic), the very last thing I will do is inform UK institutions and authorities that I am no longer in the UK. Maintain an address with friends or family and you will avoid a load of hassle. Never burn your bridges as one day you may need to return.

• Like 1