Fountain pen repairs

malathione

Other than the distributors, are there any independent fountain pen repair shops in Bangkok? I've managed to damage the nib on my Sailor KOP and would prefer to have it fixed rather than have the nib replaced, if possible.

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There are none in Bangkok.   To get an adjustment made to the nib of one of my 1959/60 Sheaffer PFMs I sent it to a repairer in the US.

Did you get the KOP in Bangkok, which distributor for Sailors?

Hi Lou,

That's what I thought; that there are no repair shops here.

I guess I'll send it John Mottishaw if he doesn't have a huge lead time these days.

I got it in Singapore a couple of years ago. The local distributor, Sailor and Daks Thailand, are useless and less than helpful, unfortunately. No servicing available and don't accept pens for repair to send back to Japan which I found a bit odd.

30 minutes ago, malathione said:

That's what I thought; that there are no repair shops here.

I guess I'll send it John Mottishaw if he doesn't have a huge lead time these days.

He's not accepting any work except for Nakaya pens.

If I were you, I'd contact Sailor, Tokyo, direct.  Going direct to the manufacturer was how I sorted getting a new nib unit for one of my Waterman's. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He's not accepting any work except for Nakaya pens.

If I were you, I'd contact Sailor, Tokyo direct.   That's how I sorted getting a new nib unit for one of my Waterman's. 

Thank you. I'll do that first then.

Guest jonzboy

I've not been on that forum for a few years since I sold my modest FP collection, but I recall mention of independent technicians who refurbish nibs etc.  I was fortunate to have my remaining MB repaired and serviced by the main dealer in HKG in 2015 at a cost of US$50 and got back a virtually new pen. Best of luck anyways...

30 minutes ago, jonzboy said:

I've not been on that forum for a few years since I sold my modest FP collection, but I recall mention of independent technicians who refurbish nibs etc.  I was fortunate to have my remaining MB repaired and serviced by the main dealer in HKG in 2015 at a cost of US$50 and got back a virtually new pen. Best of luck anyways...

Thanks. Yes there are a few independents around and very talented ones at that. I've been in touch with the gentleman who sold me the pen in Singapore and he will take care of it. Yup, MB's are much easier to have fixed as their dealers have the setup. I had mine done at the dealer in Siam Paragon last year, and, while expensive, I can't complain about the quality and speed of the repair.

Just now, VocalNeal said:

How bad is it? completely bent or just scratchy?

Completely sprung unfortunately. A talented nibsmith could probably put it back in alignment but Asiapens in Singapore will have the nib replaced. 

OK. I had some scratchy ones I smoothed out by "writing" on very, very fine wet emery paper. Won't help if it is really damaged.

My biggest problem is stopping them drying out. Almost ashamed to say my current pen of choice is a 90 Baht Preppy as it has a built in rubber sealing widget in the cap.

Edited by VocalNeal

13 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

OK. I had some scratchy ones I smoothed out by "writing" on very, very fine wet emery paper. Won't help if it is really damaged.

My biggest problem is stopping them drying out. Almost ashamed to say my current pen of choice is a 90 Baht Preppy as it has a built in rubber sealing widget in the cap.

Yes, wet fine sandpaper works wonders. Unfortunately, this is too far gone for that. 

I agree, it's hard to keep pens from drying out. I simply don't write enough or even everyday. No shame in using what works best.