US Passport Renewal by mail - How long did it take you?

Just now, BigStar said:

Good idea. I've found it applicable to Thai Immigration as well.

Except with the Thais, you never know if the "instructions" that apply at one local Imm. office are going to be the same or different at the other offices in other provinces. There must be no word in the Thai language / dictionary for "consistency."  ????

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except with the Thais, you never know if the "instructions" that apply at one local Imm. office are going to be the same or different at the other offices in other provinces. There must be no word in the Thai language / dictionary for "consistency."  ????

We always say this as if it means a lot, but in practice very few are running around to different Immigration offices every year. So you stop by and check the local requirements or ask here before you submit the paperwork. In the USA, change to another state, or even county, and you got all kinds of different requirements for most any bureaucratic procedure you care to name from DL to taxes to ordinances.

We all know that very well, but we act so shocked when Thai offices in different locations do the same. Part of the bigotry.

On 5/22/2021 at 9:26 PM, DrJack54 said:

I'm not American. Have had passport card explained before but don't recall it's purpose. Is it useful? Vaguely recall that things changed with it's usefulness.

Can you clarify.

Yes if you are applying for the book and card the card reduces the number of dollars in your wallet by $35.  If you apply for just the card it reduces your wallet by $65  Other than the dollar reduction the card is of no use.  I have one. 

19 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Yes if you are applying for the book and card the card reduces the number of dollars in your wallet by $35.  If you apply for just the card it reduces your wallet by $65  Other than the dollar reduction the card is of no use.  I have one. 

I think the U.S. passport card has a two-fold use for expats here:

1. it can suffice as a local ID card that can satisfy a variety of non-Thai government purposes, and probably some government purposes like using with Thai police at road checkpoints and such.... instead of having to potentially carry around one's original passport book.

2. For the times when the holder is back in the U.S., it's going to serve as a legitimate Real ID identity card (in lieu of a U.S. passport book, though the passport book also would be accepted), some variety of which will be needed for domestic U.S. air travel starting in 2023.

In general, there are numerous likely uses where one can use the card to satisfy the purpose that would otherwise require one's passport book. And as far as I'm concerned, the less I have to carry around my original passport book with all my extension and re-entry stamps in it, the better off and safer I am.

As others have noted above, if you end up losing a passport ID card, there's no great grief associated with that. But if you end up losing an original passport book, there's a TON of grief associated with that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As others have noted above, if you end up losing a passport ID card, there's no great grief associated with that. But if you end up losing an original passport book, there's a TON of grief associated with that

So let me understand a rationale to have it is that it is not very significant if you lose it.  

I have found you can use it as ID to board a plane and that is about it.  That is not true if it is an international flight.  Given that a drivers license or state issued ID does the same thing, I am at a loss to determine of what real use the passport ID other than it weighs down my wallet to carry it but empties my wallet of $65 USD. 

Just now, Longwood50 said:

So let me understand a rationale to have it is that it is not very significant if you lose it.  

I have found you can use it as ID to board a plane and that is about it.  That is not true if it is an international flight.  Given that a drivers license or state issued ID does the same thing, I am at a loss to determine of what real use the passport ID other than it weighs down my wallet to carry it but empties my wallet of $65 USD. 

A lot of U.S. expats here end up losing their U.S. state driver's license cards as the years go by, especially if they don't travel back to the U.S. very often.  And I don't think the U.S. domestic airlines are going to accept a Thai DL instead.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A lot of U.S. expats here end up losing their U.S. state driver's license cards as the years go by, especially if they don't travel back to the U.S. very often.  And I don't think the U.S. domestic airlines are going to accept a Thai DL instead.

I don't know if they did.  All I can say is that I have a US Passport card. To date, the only thing I have found that it is acceptable for is to fly domestically in the USA.  Hardly what I think is a worthwhile reason to have one. 

I recently renewed my passport via mail DHL CNX> BKK.

I filled out the documents and paid online for a new passport book. It took about 13 business days, received my passports w/ letter. Took letter to CNX airport w/ tm 30 to transfer visa stamp.

On 5/22/2021 at 1:28 PM, dingdongrb said:

Exactly.....  I made an appointment at the embassy and then soon afterwards I received an email saying this:

(So I cancelled my appointment)

"If you are over 18 and applying to renew your passport, please do not come to the Consulate for your passport appointment. You should use the passport mail-in service [insert link here]. In order to encourage social distancing we are only allowing appointments for services that require the physical presence of the applicant. There is no requirement for adult passport renewal applicants to appear in person at the consulate, the entire application process can be done via mail."

I will however argue the importance of social distancing with them.

Going to the consulate = 1 location
Mail in = 2 locations (Bank & Mailing service)

Just noticed the excuse was social distancing. What is it now, more than 14 months later, when they still don't allow in person renewals. The embassy seems reluctant to have anything to do with us in person. They don't even provide personalized email responses any more. Their reply is just a FAQ page.

43 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The embassy seems reluctant to have anything to do with us in person. They don't even provide personalized email responses any more.

I emailed the Bangkok ACS office last Friday with a question about doing an in-person passport renewal app there, since I live within walking distance of their location.

Got the following response by email late yesterday:

"Thank you for contacting ACS Bangkok,

We still advise you to use mail-in services unless its urgent you may request an appointment." [emphasis added]

So I guess the question becomes, what they would consider as being "urgent" in the context of a passport renewal?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So I guess the question becomes, what they would consider as being "urgent" in the context of a passport renewal?

Whatever it means, I plan on making mine urgent when the time comes.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I emailed the Bangkok ACS office last Friday with a question about doing an in-person passport renewal app there, since I live within walking distance of their location.

And maybe things are changing there, now that Heath has left and there is a new chief of mission.

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Whatever it means, I plan on making mine urgent when the time comes.

I just sent my renewal request by mail yesterday.

Since virtually no one has likely ever used this mail-in method before (since it's relatively new, everyone using it now is likely a first-timer), I found the process to be a bit confusing given the way their written information is presented.

It doesn't help any that, if you want to get a new passport book and new passport card, you end up having to make THREE separate payments:

--a $130 online payment to the US govt for the passport book renewal.

--an 1140 baht Thai bank draft to pay for the passport card fee.

--a 200 baht Thai bank draft fee to pay for the required two return envelopes they will use.

Would it be too much to ask to be able to just pay all the fees via ONE method and payment, either a Thai bank draft or an online payment to the U.S. govt???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I just sent my renewal request by mail yesterday.

Since virtually no one has likely ever used this mail-in method before (since it's relatively new), I found the process to be a bit confusing given the way their written information is presented.

It doesn't help any that, if you want to get a new passport book and new passport card, you end up having to make THREE separate payments:

--a $130 online payment to the US govt for the passport book renewal.

--an 1140 baht Thai bank draft to pay for the passport card fee.

--a 200 baht Thai bank draft fee to pay for the required two return envelopes they will use.

Would it be too much to ask to be able to just pay all the fees via ONE method and payment, either a Thai bank draft or an online payment to the U.S. govt???

Yes, I got completely confused trying to find information. It kept looping back to the original passport page on the embassy website. And I see they officially made the exchange rate for services 38 baht to $1. They're just stealing money, now.

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2022 at 3:28 PM, John Drake said:

Just noticed the excuse was social distancing. What is it now, more than 14 months later, when they still don't allow in person renewals. The embassy seems reluctant to have anything to do with us in person. They don't even provide personalized email responses any more. Their reply is just a FAQ page.

Perhaps they realized they could provide the same service(s) without the need to have personal contact thus lowering operating costs.   

Makes no difference to me as I was able to obtain a new passport with little of my time/resources needed.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 5/22/2021 at 7:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

I have seen reports it is taking 2 to 3 weeks to get your new passport delivered to your house.

Just an update re the OP question, exactly four weeks to renew US passport by mail from Issan. Someone mentioned the US Embassy Thailand website now says 3-4 weeks where previously it said 2-3 weeks.

FYI:

I used the US Embassy Thailand website, filled the form online, printed the form and checklist which needs to be included, paid online using Thai CC, went to the bank to teach them what a 100Bt bank draft is, stapled 2 photos using 4 vertical staples with only 1 staple into the second photo, mailed everything off using Thai Post EMS for ~70 Bt.

My passport issue date is 18 days after I mailed The application. Upon checking the state.gov passport status page, it also showed “passport mailed” that day. Mailed from US passport printing office in Arizona to US Embassy Bangkok.

27 days after I mailed the application, I received an email from ACS Bangkok stating my passport(s) were mailed by Thai Post with a tracking number. Received the following day. Thai Post tracking page was updated about 8 times in 20 hours.

Excellent experience all around, aside from the bank being a bit frustrating.

Btw- Why do they return the 2nd photo? It was clipped inside my old passport, so maybe they think Thai immigration will want it? Why do they say your 2nd passport will be returned 8 weeks later? Maybe if applying in the US?

I did “check the box” for the larger passport, but luckily it is only 5” x 3.5” like all passports. ????

YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if this is applicable for us - but, I just saw something on the news this morning, that during covid they laid off many passport workers and now there is an enormous number of applicants for renewal, inside the USA and waits are taking several months for a renewal... 

On 5/22/2021 at 5:44 PM, ubonjoe said:

Before you could only apply in person and they mailed your passport to you. Originally the intent was to reduce the number of people going to the embassy or consulate. There was aloes the choice to it by mail.

In my case going in person would be a much higher risk than doing it by mail. It would mean a trip to Bangkok to do it and that is long trip for me.

You have to remember not everybody lives in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Same with the Canadian Embassy in BKK. Last year I made an online appoinment to renew my PP and within a day they phoned me and said why not do it by mail? I never realized it was an option. Years before I always used a car hire from Pattaya to the Embassy at no small expense. Worked a treat, I had my new PP in about a week.Thai post EMS. It was always a hassle to get into the building with a ton of security. I suspect there must have been an  "incident" I must have 5 or 6 expired or full ones in my safe. Easy to do now..

• Like 1

I did “check the box” for the larger passport, but luckily it is only 5” x 3.5” like all passports. ????

if you get a passport in the states its the smaller 28 page one
so you can request the Larger one

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

if you get a passport in the states its the smaller 28 page one
so you can request the Larger one

You automatically get the 52 page passport when you renew abroad; no need to check the block for the extra pages.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 7:43 AM, dingdongrb said:

Passport expires Oct 11 and Visa extension expires July 29th..... However I need to do my 90 day on June 9th. (I will do it 7 days early as allowed.) So, I'm going to send off my passport renewal immediately after the 90 day and hope I receive my new one before my extension is due.

Just renew your passport now.  Why do you want to wait until June to do it?  You have plenty of time now so why would you want to risk putting yourself in situation where you are subject to the pressure of time?

1 hour ago, CM Dad said:

Just renew your passport now.  Why do you want to wait until June to do it?  You have plenty of time now so why would you want to risk putting yourself in situation where you are subject to the pressure of time?

his username should answer that question ????

FYI:
BE ADVISED!!!!

Blinken says State Department is working to deal with ‘unprecedented demand’ for passports

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Thursday the State Department is facing an “unprecedented demand” for passports, and has increased staffing and resources to deal with it.

Blinken said the current wait time for a regular passport is “about ten to thirteen weeks, and for an expedited passport about seven to nine weeks.”

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/23/politics/blinken-state-department-passport-delays/index.html?utm_term=1679742074336afe374b0b7fb&utm_source=cnn_Travel+Weekly+-+March+25%2C+2023&utm_medium=email&bt_ee=%2FxMnj4eZB6PxeoKIgCZzjKsV6Y8i%2FiKgFdtqtxUi2U5XNfTWA94KrAGLmKzRboQ1&bt_ts=1679742074338

I renewed my passport last year which has a mid September expiration.  It required almost 3.5 weeks from mail in date to the time I received.  The ACS notified me with a tracking number when it was mailed to me.  The New passports are a new generation which take longer.  I think the new generation passport started around July or August of 2022.

I renewed my passport in May 2022....it took 18 days/2.5 weeks including coming and going mailing time....I live in Bangkok.   Now when I renewed my passport 10 years earlier from Bangkok it only took around 10 days.  

Since kimothai mentioned "next generation" passport I googled it.   The State Dept weblink below describes the next generation passport and says the next generation passport started issuing in "2021" but my passport issued May 2022 was "not" the new generation passport. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/passport-help/next-generation-passport.html

And below State Dept weblink talks passport processing times....and it talks how they know the issuing of passports is taking longer for some people.   Reading between the lines I think it probably boils down to a manpower & money issue.  

https://www.state.gov/important-updates-on-passport-processing/

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

Pretty happy with the four week turn around to the Issan village! The “New Generation Passport” has the alpha-numeric passport number perforated through every page. Laser technology?

While working in Bangkok, I carried a laminated credit card sized color copy of my passport in my wallet. Any photocopy shop can make it for about a dollar.

✌????️

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 7:57 PM, dingdongrb said:

Where did I say or insinuate that?

I've been to the US Consulate here in CM as well as the Embassy in BKK many times and I can say that the majority of the times I've been in either one there's always more foreigners than Americans.

Are you just looking for an online debate?

I believe Pib was being rhetorical as opposed to directing that comment 'at' you. 
And he's correct.