US Passport Renewal by mail - How long did it take you?

7 hours ago, zzzzz said:

FYI:
BE ADVISED!!!!

Blinken says State Department is working to deal with ‘unprecedented demand’ for passports

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Thursday the State Department is facing an “unprecedented demand” for passports, and has increased staffing and resources to deal with it.

Blinken said the current wait time for a regular passport is “about ten to thirteen weeks, and for an expedited passport about seven to nine weeks.”

I'm pretty sure he means first time passport application that are applied for in the United States.

Expats overseas are under a completely unique set of circumstances as foreign countries rather frown on foreigner not having a physical passport available to show Immigration.

But best to keep scans and printed copies of your passport before mailing for renewal as well as copies of the passport renewal forms and mailing receipts.

47 minutes ago, connda said:

I believe Pib was being rhetorical as opposed to directing that comment 'at' you. 
And he's correct.

Did you even comprehend what was written or proof-read your post before posting it? 

Let me quote what Pib had replied:

"You must be under the misconception that a U.S. Embassy/Consulate primary mission is to service American citizens." 

Pretty sure it looks like it was directed at me! (Hence the word 'you'.)

(Geesh, why can't some folks refrain from posting nonsense? Do the really like to 'stir' things up that much?)

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

"You must be under the misconception that a U.S. Embassy/Consulate primary mission is to service American citizens." 

Pretty sure it looks like it was directed at me! (Hence the word 'you'.)

(Geesh, why can't some folks refrain from posting nonsense? Do the really like to 'stir' things up that much?)

Pib, ever the gentleman, probably won't respond to this 10-month old perceived slight. Had he known what a prickly S-B you are, he would have added a winking emoticon. However, I guess he figured the rest of us knew his response to you came with a smile, thus no need for an emoticon. Anyway, I can't seem to find an emoticon with a middle finger for this reply.

Edited by JimGant

7 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Pib, ever the gentleman, probably won't respond to this 10-month old perceived sleight. Had he known what a prickly S-B you are, he would have added a winking emoticon. However, I guess he figured the rest of us knew his response to you came with a smile, thus no need for an emoticon. Anyway, I can't seem to find an emoticon with a middle finger for this reply.

My recent post wasn't toward Pib as I responded to him months ago. And seeing that he didn't reply back then, even after I posed a few questions, I'm guessing he had no issue with my reply to him.

My post was geared toward connda, was it not?

Don't you just luv how folks like to 'stir the pot'.......  yourself included.

I mailed my application on February 28. Tracking shows they received it on March 1. I'm still waiting for the passport, so it's been 26 days since they received it. Supposedly they email a tracking number when they sent back the passport packages, but I haven't received anything yet.

Second post: I mailed my application on February 28. Tracking shows they received it on March 1. I'm still waiting for the passport, so it's been 29 days since they received it. Supposedly they email a tracking number when they sent back the passport packages, but I haven't received anything yet. I'm getting a little nervous because I have an international flight on April 9. So I'll need the passport by April 6 so I can go to immigration and have the stamps transferred. Does anybody know if there is a way to ask the US embasy in Bangkok about the status of my application?

Called the phone number and was told to send an email [email protected]. Received an auto reply that directed me to a navigator page and that had no information about how to find out the progress of my renewal. Checked the Facebook page and searched passport renewal progress and got a no information icon. According to the auto reply, if my inquiry can be answered on the navigator page, I would not receive any further replies. I searched the page several times and didn't come up with any links to finding how my renewal was progressing. Hopefully someone will think my inquiry could not be answered on the navigator page and email me. We'll see.

Checking below Dept of State webpage will give some passport status....at least tell you if the Passport Center has completed/mailed back the new passport to the embassy.   

But unless something has changed if the Passport Center has already completed/mailed back the passport to the embassy, the last status a person will see on the site is that completion/mailing date to the embassy; it will not show any status after that such as the embassy receiving the passport and remailing it to the individual.   

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Recent experience six weeks, four days door to door:

8 May, application sent via Thai Post EMS from Bangkok to US Embassy.

9 May, EMS tracking confirmed receipt by an embassy “security guard”.

25 May, Travelstate.gov passport renewal application status reported receipt on 22 May.

14 June, Travelstate.gov reported new passport mailed out on 12 June.

20 June (end of estimated six-week processing time), emailed embassy. Responded promptly. “Your passport is completed and is being mailed back to our office. However, we cannot advise an exact date of when the passport may arrive. You will receive a separate notification email once the new passport is ready to be mailed to the address you provided.”

21 June, embassy email received. “Your new passport book and/or passport card will be mailed within the next two working days. You are able to track your package via https://track.thailandpost.co.th/ with tracking number ######## accordingly.”

23 June, receipt of EMS with passports.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, devaram said:

If one of does not have a secure return address can one pick up the new passport at the consulate in chiangmai? 

I mean if you are a tourist how do they intend to return your passport in a secure way? It used to be very secure to pick up at the consulate. Mailing it to a hotel or guest house or even an apartment is not secure. 

So recent experience indicates that the average door-to-door processing time might be six weeks. Which aligns with the stated target ("five to six weeks") by the USEMB/BKK.

Previously, ca. 2021 and before it was more like two or three weeks.

I wonder what part of the process changed?

Six weeks is fine, certainly better than if in the U.S. (with or without expediting), just need to be aware of that for planning purposes re: extension renewals, travel, etc.

Edited by bamnutsak

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

So recent experience indicates that the average door-to-door processing time might be six weeks. Which aligns with the stated target ("five to six weeks") by the USEMB/BKK.

Previously, ca. 2021 and before it was more like two or three weeks.

I wonder what part of the process changed?

Six weeks is fine, certainly better than if in the U.S. (with or without expediting), just need to be aware of that for planning purposes re: extension renewals, travel, etc.

The State Dept announced the long turnaround is primarily due to a huge increase in passport applications following the COVID pandemic when many people failed to renew their expiring passport, now want to do international travel after years of COVID lockdown, etc.

I hope the State Dept does get the turnaround time back down to around 2-3 weeks for folks renewing via  a US Embassy like it use to pre-COVID.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 8:14 PM, Pib said:

Checking below Dept of State webpage will give some passport status....at least tell you if the Passport Center has completed/mailed back the new passport to the embassy.   

But unless something has changed if the Passport Center has already completed/mailed back the passport to the embassy, the last status a person will see on the site is that completion/mailing date to the embassy; it will not show any status after that such as the embassy receiving the passport and remailing it to the individual.   

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

Could you (or someone)  tell me the payment options for the 130 dollars ?  I have a bkk bank credit card but prefer to send a bank draft from bkk bank with my request for renewal .   is this possible ?   and does it need to be sent BEFORE I send the renewal package ?       thanks

41 minutes ago, rumak said:

Could you (or someone)  tell me the payment options for the 130 dollars ?  I have a bkk bank credit card but prefer to send a bank draft from bkk bank with my request for renewal .   is this possible ?   and does it need to be sent BEFORE I send the renewal package ?       thanks

Your preference is allowed and detailed directions are given as to how to obtain the required bank draft from Bangkok Bank, including a printout in Thai that explains to the cashier exactly what you need.  You need to pay with your application.  Online payment is also accepted.  You will need two (2) bank drafts from Bangkok Bank, one for the cost of the passport itself and one for the cost of the the return envelope and postage.  Again, very detailed directions are given at the US Embassy Bangkok site (unfortunately, down at this instant):|

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

37 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Your preference is allowed and detailed directions are given as to how to obtain the required bank draft from Bangkok Bank, including a printout in Thai that explains to the cashier exactly what you need.  You need to pay with your application.  Online payment is also accepted.  You will need two (2) bank drafts from Bangkok Bank, one for the cost of the passport itself and one for the cost of the the return envelope and postage.  Again, very detailed directions are given at the US Embassy Bangkok site (unfortunately, down at this instant):|

Thanks.... but the only info I can find (none about the bank draft for passport)  is this

Step 6:  Pay

On-line Payment only available in USD

Pay the $130 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. When click Continue to the Form; please select Thailand at Country field. After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you send to the U.S. Embassy Bangkok.

Maybe its me..... just can't find the info you mention ( though i think it is correct).    Any direction to where the info is would be appreciated. 

edit :  i did find the info and bank instructions.  but every time i try to find it again i can't seem to.   i have downloaded the instructions already..... but still drives me nuts how difficult it is to find  

Edited by rumak

You now have to use the US Gov't's secure payment site to pay the $130 for the passport. However, a bank draft is still needed for the return postage.

This info came out several months ago, when, apparently, they got tired of revising too often how much baht on the bank draft equated to $130; easier just to require the payment in dollars.

Edited by JimGant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimGant said:

You now have to the US Gov't's secure payment site to pay the $130 for the passport. A bank draft is still needed for the return postage.

This info came out several months ago, when, apparently, they got tired of revising how much baht on the bank draft equated to $130; easier just to require the payment in dollars.

So........ MUST  be payed online then,  right ?    or ??    Do you have the link for the secure payment site?

1 minute ago, rumak said:

That's for payment of the Bt100 mailing fee.   

They have removed the instructions for "passport book payment via bank draft."   Even their latest checklist no longer lists an option to pay for a passport "book" via bank draft....but you can still pay for a passport card via bank draft....and whether a passport book or card the mailing fee is still paid via Bt100 bank draft.

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/checklist-DS82-by-mail-online-payment-1080.pdf

image.png.fc919546044168e0e2387fdf56c187c4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, skatewash said:

It appears that payment of the cost of the passport itself is no longer allowed by bank draft, but only online using the US government's secure site (you may be able to use your Bangkok Bank debit card to do this).  You do still need to use the bank draft to pay for the return envelope and postage.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jim and Pib .............. ok,  i think i got it !    i imagine my Bkk Bank debit card will allow deduction in US  dollars .   ( i can do that with iHerb) 

btw:  one has to copy and send the payment confirmation with the application as well  .....................

Edited by rumak

20 minutes ago, rumak said:

Thanks.... but the only info I can find (none about the bank draft for passport)  is this

Step 6:  Pay

On-line Payment only available in USD

Pay the $130 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. When click Continue to the Form; please select Thailand at Country field. After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you send to the U.S. Embassy Bangkok.

Maybe its me..... just can't find the info you mention ( though i think it is correct).    Any direction to where the info is would be appreciated. 

edit :  i did find the info and bank instructions.  but every time i try to find it again i can't seem to.   i have downloaded the instructions already..... but still drives me nuts how difficult it is to find  

For a passport "book" the U.S. Embassy website has been rewritten to where renewal of a passport "book" must be done via their online payment system.  But the passport return mailing fee must still be paid via Bt100 bank draft.  Also, if getting a passport "card" that can still be paid for via bank draft along with the mailing fee.   

However, in the FAQ Online Payment area there is one Q&A where it says if you "already have" a bank draft then payment can still be made that way. 

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/faq-on-line-payment/

Q: What if I already have a bank draft?
A: Payments by bank draft are still accepted.  Please follow the instructions on https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew.

Now I expect if a person simply couldn't accomplish payment via their online system that the U.S. Embassy would still relunctantly accept payment by bank draft and possibly email you the "English" language doc giving details for a bank draft to pay for a "passport book" along with their current baht fee since their passport fee "in baht"  occasionally changes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rumak said:

Thanks Jim and Pib .............. ok,  i think i got it !    i imagine my Bkk Bank debit card will allow deduction in US  dollars .   ( i can do that with iHerb) 

According to the Embassy website an international (a.k.a., foreign card like a Thai bank card) can be used.  

image.png.5e14cb3c2182683dd43559f55b722b64.png

• Like 2