US Passport Renewal by mail - How long did it take you?

37 minutes ago, Pib said:

According to the Embassy website an international (a.k.a., foreign card like a Thai bank card) can be used.  

image.png.5e14cb3c2182683dd43559f55b722b64.png

my third renewal since being in Thailand !      one would hope that these things would get easier .

electronic age and all  ????

On the Checklist from the Embassy, what do they want in the "Thailand Visa Expiration Date:" field? Since the VISA would have been used several years ago, and now on extensions for marriage, are they looking for the end date of the Extension of Permission to stay?

10 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

are they looking for the end date of the Extension of Permission to stay?

Probably, as that would tell them you currently reside in Thailand, which is a requirement for renewing your passport by mail.

The US State Dept has, in recent years, been guilty of using the terms "visa" and "visa extension" interchangeably -- samo samo Thai gov't. Can, and does, cause confusion.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

On the Checklist from the Embassy, what do they want in the "Thailand Visa Expiration Date:" field? Since the VISA would have been used several years ago, and now on extensions for marriage, are they looking for the end date of the Extension of Permission to stay?

Whatever date is shown on your latest Permitted to Stay stamp....this date shows to what date your current visa/extension of stay permits you to stay in Thailand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Whatever date is shown on your latest Permitted to Stay stamp....this date shows to what date your current visa/extension of stay permits you to stay in Thailand.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Probably, as that would tell them you currently reside in Thailand, which is a requirement for renewing your passport by mail.

The US State Dept has, in recent years, been guilty of using the terms "visa" and "visa extension" interchangeably -- samo samo Thai gov't. Can, and does, cause confusion.

Thanks guys, I was pretty sure that was it, but the use of the words "Visa Expiration" is what made me question it.

On 7/1/2023 at 9:01 PM, Pib said:

According to the Embassy website an international (a.k.a., foreign card like a Thai bank card) can be used.  

image.png.5e14cb3c2182683dd43559f55b722b64.png

One more question ......... So did anyone FOLD the 2 application for renewal papers in half ?

Seems like a more workable size to send...... but ???   never sure how the govt will see things 

26 minutes ago, rumak said:

One more question ......... So did anyone FOLD the 2 application for renewal papers in half ?

Seems like a more workable size to send...... but ???   never sure how the govt will see things 

Yes, I used the 9 inch by 6 inch envelope as that size allows half folding of the application and plenty of room for the passport.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Yes, I used the 9 inch by 6 inch envelope as that size allows half folding of the application and plenty of room for the passport.  

thats what made sense to me .......... but better to ask !    thanks again

45 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

just got mine back - took almost exactly 2 months - - Imm. let me do 90 day report w/no fine... 

Which is why I am going to do mine right after I do my 90 day next week, that way I have almost 90 days more until the next one.

11 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

just got mine back - took almost exactly 2 months - - Imm. let me do 90 day report w/no fine.

In June 2021 it only took me 18 days.  But then no one was traveling back them.  I just read in one of the papers that there is a massive backlog of US passports because of staff shortages and a surge in travel.  I don't know if the Embassy has a fast track. 

I would think immigration would let you do the 90 day with a copy of the passport, a copy of your visa, the 90 day report paper and a copy of the receipt you get from the post office or email from the US embassy.   I don't think it's just the USA.  Someone from South Africa a while back says it takes 6 months or more to get a passport.  Not sure if that is true.

14 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Which is why I am going to do mine right after I do my 90 day next week, that way I have almost 90 days more until the next one.

sounds like a good plan - I think the back log will have gotten better as the crowds were wanting passports for summer travel... 10 years ago, it only took me 10 days....... 

the problem was that nobody traveled during covid so they laid off trained workers - - then came the rush after covid and they were not fully staffed..

I think it will go well for you... 

• 1 month later...

Sent my Passport out on July 11th 2023 via the mail in route, the US Embassy just sent me an email saying they will be mailing my passport to me within the next two days.....looks like it will be about 4 weeks door-to-door, not too bad.

Edited by lordgrinz
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 5 months later...

when sending in application to US embassy, do we need a return pay-for(stamp) envelope? how much is the return (stamp) and how do I process of getting that return envelope. 

1 hour ago, jacey said:

when sending in application to US embassy, do we need a return pay-for(stamp) envelope? how much is the return (stamp) and how do I process of getting that return envelope. 

Yes, and your post office can give you the details. It should be the same going there and coming back from your location (Thailand)

2 hours ago, jacey said:

My recollection when I did mine a year or so back is that when I paid the new passport fee online, I also had pay a separate amount for a return prepaid envelope... That's PAY for them to provide a return envelope... not send them or otherwise provide them with an actual return envelope.

2 hours ago, jacey said:

Yes.  When starting the passport renewal process it gives instructions. 

BUT, you no longer just include a Bt100 Thai bank draft to pay for the return envelope with your mailed application package where you already paid the renewal fee online.  You know also must pay for an envelope to be sent to the US Embassy direct from the Thai Postal Service....the Thai Postal Service has a special thing set up for it...click the following weblink:  https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929   (It' the weblink referenced in below snapshot).

Or said another way, you make an online payment to the US govt for the basic passport renewal fee and another online payment to the Thai Postal System for the envelope fee.  Everything is paid for online now....the basic renewal fee and the return envelope fee.  

See below US Embassy Bangkok weblink and partial quote for more info.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

image.png.abe47b7bcb1ec997677dbab4f6c4944f.png

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2021 at 7:15 PM, Pib said:

I bet in another year or so when COVID becomes history that the American Embassy will continue the no passport renewal via in-person.  Then their reason(s) for that policy will  change to simply saying it's customer supportive and more efficient (true or not). 

And don’t forget as the process for them gets easier the rates for the passport will keep increasing. That’s important. 
We should not even have to pay for passports - just a btw note here - they should be covered by our taxes. They are for the government. They aren’t ours. Why is it we fund the government then when we need to use it we pay fees? Increasing fees as their burdens decrease btw 

11 minutes ago, jacey said:

do I also send them my current passport?

Yes. And don’t forget, if anything happens to go wrong and u need your passport, or they lose it or don’t mail it to you, you’re

screwed. 

Edited by Robert Paulson

15 hours ago, Pib said:

Yes.  When starting the passport renewal process it gives instructions. 

BUT, you no longer just include a Bt100 Thai bank draft to pay for the return envelope with your mailed application package where you already paid the renewal fee online.  You know also must pay for an envelope to be sent to the US Embassy direct from the Thai Postal Service....the Thai Postal Service has a special thing set up for it...click the following weblink:  https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929   (It' the weblink referenced in below snapshot).

Or said another way, you make an online payment to the US govt for the basic passport renewal fee and another online payment to the Thai Postal System for the envelope fee.  Everything is paid for online now....the basic renewal fee and the return envelope fee.  

See below US Embassy Bangkok weblink and partial quote for more info.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

image.png.abe47b7bcb1ec997677dbab4f6c4944f.png

I was laughing so hard when I saw this. They made the process way more difficult, at least imo the return Postage was the toughest most confusing part to figure (eg the website would not translate to English, I had all sorts of problems), and why… because the government refused take the money out of your fee to pay for their costs haha. It’s hilarious. That’s exactly What the fee is for… costs. And the crazy part is we should not even be charged a passport fee, it should be covered by our taxes. 

I have this rule: the government will never take a loss. Yep, true in this case even the 2 dollars or whatever it is. Like what’s our passport fee for? It should be for things exactly like this! 

Edited by Robert Paulson

21 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I was laughing so hard when I saw this. They made the process way more difficult, at least imo the return Postage was the toughest most confusing part to figure (eg the website would not translate to English, I had all sorts of problems), and why… because the government refused take the money out of your fee to pay for their costs haha. It’s hilarious. That’s exactly What the fee is for… costs.

I agree the process is now harder for many but easier/less work for the State Dept/Embassies.  And I'm sure the State Dept would try to reference some law/directive that now requires all passport related fees to be paid online which gets the State Dept/Embassies out of having to handle any cash, bank drafts, preparing return envelopes, etc.  It saves "them" man-hours of work.

• Agree 1

On 1/10/2024 at 3:45 PM, jacey said:

https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929

pay 100 baht

I agree the process is now harder for many but easier/less work for the State Dept/Embassies

did it late oct, found it very easy, straightforward>

new passport is very high tech  :-)

Edited by zzzzz

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jacey said:

what size envelope are we using to mail in?

Up to you....whatever size is needed to fit the application and passport inside.  I've always used the size where you need to fold the application in half which still leaves plenty of room for the passport.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1