US Passport Renewal by mail - How long did it take you?

On 5/22/2021 at 7:31 AM, dingdongrb said:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, I read on the US Consulate website that's what they are saying but wanted some actual experiences. I'm getting in a tight window for my extension renewal and wanted to be sure I receive the new passport before my extension renewal date.

Do you know, do I need to have a passport with 6 month validity in order to renew my Thai visa extension?

Yes

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

Yes

No

There is no 6 month requirement. The passport only needs to valid for the length of the extension of stay being applied for. And if not it will be issued to the day the passport expires.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 12:09 PM, skatewash said:

More advice ????

At any immigration in office in Thailand I believe you can apply for any annual extension of stay thirty (30) days before your current extension expires.  At some offices you can do so forty-five (45) days before your current extension expires (Phuket, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, for example).

Apply as early as you can.  Why?  Because you lose nothing and gain something useful.  The new extension starts from when your old extension of stay expires, so you lose no days by extending early.  You gain time to correct any problems that may crop up expectedly or unexpectedly.

For example, you go to immigration 30 days before your current extension of stay expires to apply for your new annual extension of stay.  Immigration informs you that they will only give you two months permission to stay  because your passport expires in two months.  No problem, don't make the application that day and instead go get your passport renewed.  You have time to do that because you're 30 days away from when your current extension of stay expires.

This and what followed...it's all good advice. Tap to the forehead, thinking cap on.

Early is always better than later when dealing with immigration issues.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 3:26 PM, rwill said:

Make sure to keep some copies of it before mailing it off.

IIRC, when I applied for a renewal at the embassy, I was given a formal receipt that I could use if stopped by police, for example. With this mail-in service, do you get some kind of receipt by email, or just use the acknowledgement of receipt by the embassy?

This is very interesting. If I live in the US and need to renew my passport, could I do it during a trip to Thailand? Would they send the new passport to my hotel? Seems like it would be much faster. Also, is there a difference in cost between renewing in the US and in Thailand?

I assume that when exiting Thailand, I could just show my voided (old) passport at passport control.

26 minutes ago, 10years said:

This is very interesting. If I live in the US and need to renew my passport, could I do it during a trip to Thailand? Would they send the new passport to my hotel? Seems like it would be much faster. Also, is there a difference in cost between renewing in the US and in Thailand?

I assume that when exiting Thailand, I could just show my voided (old) passport at passport control.

Why would you "do it during trip...."

Renew passport prior to travel.

Can't advise on extra cost for USA passport but certainly for AU they add extra cost for pp issued outside of Oz and it's not trivial amount.

Yes you can deal with passport control showing old passport.

1 hour ago, 10years said:

Also, is there a difference in cost between renewing in the US and in Thailand?

The fee is the same.

But to get it quicker in the states you have to pay $60 extra to have it expedited. Here as said it takes at the most 3 weeks and in the states by mail at least 6 weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 10years said:

Yes, you could do it here. Yes, they will deliver it to a hotel. This happens all the time here.

Personally I would renew in the U.S. unless there was some sort of scheduling issue.

Costs, maybe a a bit more, a couple of bucks, here given the bank draft/FX thing?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 10years said:

You could do it that way if desired.   On the passport DS82 application form you would enter your hotel's address in the Mailing block (block 8 ) along with In care of yourself.   In Block 18 you enter your Permanent address since it's different than your mailing address.   

And also on the separate checklist the U.S Embassy wants you to complete to ensure you have done everything right in your DS82 application you enter the same "Return Address"  as  the Mailing Address you entered in Block 8 of the DS52.  On the checklist they call the mailing address for the renewed passport the Return address.    I asked the US Embassy-Bangkok this very question just a few weeks ago and that was their answer....my neighbor asked the question because my neighbor (a dual US-Thai  citizen) here in Bangkok  is renewing her U.S. passport but will traveling around in northern Thailand when the passport returns via EMS in a few weeks and she wanted it mailed to my address since I'm always home.....so, her renewed passport will be returned mailed to me...in care of me.  

But unless really needing to renew while traveling it I don't think I would want to chance passport renewal while traveling....just seems to be an unneeded risk.

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

When  a new passport is issued -this new passport is not sent from your home country.

The information is supplied from your home country-that is all.

The physical production of the document is done inside or near to Thailand.

British passports are manufactured in China.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Delight said:

When  a new passport is issued -this new passport is not sent from your home country.

The information is supplied from your home country-that is all.

The physical production of the document is done inside or near to Thailand.

British passports are manufactured in China.

US passports are only ever printed in the US and forwarded to the requesting embassy if necessary.  At least that is the way it has been for several years already.

An application for a United States passport made abroad is forwarded by a U.S. embassy or consulate to Passport Services for processing in the United States. The resulting passport is sent to the embassy or consulate for issuance to the applicant. An emergency passport is issuable by the embassy or consulate. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_passport#Application

Edited by skatewash

5 hours ago, Pib said:

I asked the US Embassy-Bangkok this very question just a few weeks ago and that was their answer....my neighbor asked the question because my neighbor (a dual US-Thai  citizen) here in Bangkok  is renewing her U.S. passport but will traveling around in northern Thailand when the passport returns via EMS in a few weeks and she wanted it mailed to my address since I'm always home.....so, her renewed passport will be returned mailed to me...in care of me.  

I didn't think there was dual citizenship for US/Thailand?

4 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I didn't think there was dual citizenship for US/Thailand?

Yeap....there is....plenty folks have dual US-Thai citizenship....two of my neighbors, my wife, etc.  

• Like 1

image.png.8207a920c63842d3ff47f65ff7f068c5.png

That info is out of date and is covered in a different section now. The most recent amendment to the nationality act was done in 2008.

There is also other wording in another section that allows dual nationalities in it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 1:47 PM, Pib said:

You could do it that way if desired.   On the passport DS82 application form you would enter your hotel's address in the Mailing block (block 8 ) along with In care of yourself.   In Block 18 you enter your Permanent address since it's different than your mailing address.   

And also on the separate checklist the U.S Embassy wants you to complete to ensure you have done everything right in your DS82 application you enter the same "Return Address"  as  the Mailing Address you entered in Block 8 of the DS52.  On the checklist they call the mailing address for the renewed passport the Return address.    I asked the US Embassy-Bangkok this very question just a few weeks ago and that was their answer....my neighbor asked the question because my neighbor (a dual US-Thai  citizen) here in Bangkok  is renewing her U.S. passport but will traveling around in northern Thailand when the passport returns via EMS in a few weeks and she wanted it mailed to my address since I'm always home.....so, her renewed passport will be returned mailed to me...in care of me.  

But unless really needing to renew while traveling it I don't think I would want to chance passport renewal while traveling....just seems to be an unneeded risk.

Received the neighbor's renewed passport.  A total of 16 days from mailing the renewal package to the U.S. Embassy-Bangkok via EMS and receiving the new passport (and old/cancelled passport) back via EMS mail to my Bangkok address.  And it included the letter asking Thai immigration to transfer any visa/extensions stamps from the old to new passport.   No drama. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Day 1. Mailed passport to US Embassy BKK

Day 16. Received email with tracking number 

Day 18. Received passport.  

easy.  

Mailed to Chiang Mai consulate Friday afternoon, 21 May, via EMS. Received by consulate guard on Sat, 22 May. On Tuesday, 1 June, got email from consulate saying my passport had arrived and would be mailed, expect arrival in 3-7 business days (no tracking number provided). Received old and new passports, plus letter for Imm, two days later, on 3 June. 13 days total, to include two weekends. Can't beat that.

New passport was dated Monday, 24 May -- just two days after the guard signed for my application! That's fast, meaning probably the consulate does some work on Saturdays; but definitely the electronic forwarding to the States is fast and efficient, and much more timely than renewing in the States, even with paying the extra $60 for expedited service. And, having the new passport returned in the consulate's courier pouch certainly has efficiencies. All in all, an easy and satisfying process. So, think I'll renew the wife's passport, even tho' it's got nearly two years left on it -- might as well take advantage of such good service, since being so good means it probably won't last.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/23/2021 at 11:35 AM, skatewash said:

Thai immigration will not give a permission to stay day past the date your passport expires. 

@ubonjoe, @lopburi3

I could use some advice / guidance about the best way to handle the combination of my retirement extension that will need renewing at the end of this September (next month) and a U.S. passport expiring in June 2023.

Option 1: As I understand it, I could renew my retirement extension next month without getting a new passport... But then, my new retirement extension would only be valid for about 9 months until June 2023 when my current passport expires.

What I'm unclear about re this method is.... if I later go to Immigration before June 2023 with a new passport obtained in the meanwhile, will they further extend my retirement extension obtained now (September 2022) for the remainder of that year until September 2023. OR, will they then require me prior to June 2023 with the new passport to then apply for a whole new 1-year extension that would change my extension cycle to June to June?

Or Option 2: Since the U.S. Consulates are no longer allowing in-person routine passport renewals, I could rush out a mailed passport renewal application right now and hopefully get the new passport back prior to my end of September retirement extension deadline, which should be feasible given that passport turnaround times are said to be running two to three weeks.

What I'm unclear about this method is.... given that I do my extension renewals at BKK CW, can I just show up there before the end of September for ONE visit and hope to have my passport stamps AND new retirement extension processed on the same day?  Or, I need to plan that as a two-visit process... a first visit just to transfer my existing stamps to the new passport, and then a second visit to get the new extension stamp in my new passport?

Thanks for any advice / wisdom.... Never encountered this particular kind of situation before....

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What I'm unclear about re this method is.... if I later go to Immigration before June 2023 with a new passport obtained in the meanwhile, will they further extend my retirement extension obtained now (September 2022) for the remainder of that year until September 2023. OR, will they then require me prior to June 2023 with the new passport to then apply for a whole new 1-year extension that would change my extension cycle to June to June?

No is the answer. If your passport has less than 1 year of remaining validity your extension will only be issued to the day it expires. Then you would have to apply for new extension after you got a new passport that will be to the same date of the shortened extension.

What I'm unclear about this method is.... given that I do my extension renewals at BKK CW, can I just show up there before the end of September for ONE visit and hope to have my passport stamps AND new retirement extension processed on the same day?  Or, I need to plan that as a two-visit process... a first visit just to transfer my existing stamps to the new passport, and then a second visit to get the new extension stamp in my new passport?

Get a new passport now.

You can have both the stamp transfer to your new passport and apply for the new extension of stay on the same day.

Or Option 2: Since the U.S. Consulates are no longer allowing in-person routine passport renewals, I could rush out a mailed passport renewal application right now and hopefully get the new passport back prior to my end of September retirement extension deadline, which should be feasible given that passport turnaround times are said to be running two to three weeks.

Apply for your new passport now. It will be done in plenty of time to do your extension next month.

I got new passport in June since my old one was expiring in July of 2023. My extension is due this month and I did not want my to have extension date changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just discovered how to slow down your by-mail passport renewal process -- have your photo classified as "unacceptable." This just happened to us, with my wife's renewal. I've got a top line digital camera; had everything set for "portrait" mode; did almost everything the same as last year, when the photo I took of myself was accepted for my renewal by mail. But the letter I received from the US Embassy (Citizens Services) said "low printing quality -- too grainy." Huh? The photo wasn't 72DPI -- it was 350DPI, 700x700 pixels, 2x2 inches. Shouldn't be grainy in print with this resolution....

But, I used Photoshop for some enhancements, like contrast, lighting, and unsharp mask (but barely). I also painted out the light switch that prominently showed on the wall we used as backdrop. But I did this last year with my photo, with, again, no problem.

So, in reference to Photoshop, this guidance from the State Dept leaves a lot of questions unanswered, mainly, how much tweaking can I do....?

Do not digitally change the photo.

No, you can not digitally alter a photo to remove red eye. You will have to submit a new photo without red eye.

The rejection letter had a link to State Dept, which had some excellent tips on passport photos:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/photos.html

I, of course, had checked out other websites for advice on passport photo tips; but this State Dept site is exceptionally comprehensive, including a tool to crop your photo to best presentation. [This tool took my new, hopefully not grainy, photo of my wife, which I had already cropped -- and re-cropped it, with a slightly bigger head size, and reduced size from 350 to 300 DPI. A check mark means, I hope, that this photo would be acceptable, when I print it out, without modifications. And also means, the minor Photoshop tweaks are acceptable......(?).  ]

Oh, guidance from this site also says, when you forward your replacement photo don't staple or paperclip. This, curiously, is different from your original DS82 application, where you're told to staple the photo to the application. I guess they're now sensitive to ruining the photo with deep staples..... Probably smart advice.

Bad photos are the number one reason why we put passport applications on hold. Follow these easy guidelines to quickly respond to the letter asking for a new photo:

• Don’t paperclip or staple the photo when you return it
  • Make sure to include a copy of the letter you received from us, so that we can match your new photo to your pending application
  • Respond by the deadline on the letter
  • Double check that the new photo meets all the requirements listed on this webpage
  • Don’t write anything on the front or back of the photo

For additional information on how to reply to a letter, go on our Respond to a Letter or Email page

Be careful.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JimGant said:

This, curiously, is different from your original DS82 application, where you're told to staple the photo to the application.

Jim, I wondered too when I saw that instruction on the State Department website...

Do they really want people to use FOUR vertical staples to attach the photo, one each at the four corners?

I understand that they wouldn't want glue, because presumably they're going to use that submitted photo for your actual new passport....but....???

But unless I hear otherwise, I'm gonna follow their instructions to avoid a rejection that I can ill afford time wise...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Of course, if you'd like to glue your photo to your DS82 application, you could move to the Dominican Republic and apply there ????

Photos should be stapled or glued to Form DS-82 or DS-11 (application for U.S. passport).

https://do.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/photo-requirements-u-s-passports-visa/

Is the US State Dept taking lessons in consistency from Thai Immigration?