Sinovac or wait ...?

Em150

6 hours ago, rabas said:

Here is maybe the best data on relative efficacy between vaccines. A study published in Nature Medicine compares relative efficacy and neutralization antibodies (immune response). A bit complicated but the graph clearly shows the relative relationships. 

Fig. 1: Understanding the relationship between neutralization and protection. (Click to zoom)

Fig. 1

The full paper is here:

Neutralizing antibody levels are highly predictive of immune protection from symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection

Thanks so much for the reference it's very enlightening and technical; my head really hurts now after trying to digest this paper. 

19 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

Again you may like to read it properly 'Sinovac is at about 37% effective' quite clearly indicating it is not an accurate number, and that's the whole point about sinovac, there are no accurate numbers, different studies show wildly differing results...!

And the obvious deletion of your expletives from your comments goes to the validity of them..!

Are you sure it wasn't about 37.2234423422133%? LOL. 

Seeing as how all the current vaccines for covid are in the trail stages, I think it would be best to wait at least a year or more until the trials are over.  I mean we are talking about a disease with a 99.5 survival rate.

Edited by Rulie
spelling
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JCauto said:

Are you sure it wasn't about 37.2234423422133%? LOL.

When people are engaged in conversation, most are thoughtful, respectful, sometimes even open minded, but obviously, not everyone...!   ....(LOL).....

And thus ends this conversation....!

On 5/25/2021 at 12:24 PM, JCauto said:

Are you now talking to yourself?

To reiterate, you have "judged" the risk to yourself and wife as being minimal since you presumably are taking precautions - that's sensible and proper to take precautions. However, you're "waiting" on studies about the vaccine while ignoring the basic and obvious evidence that is all around you. So you're basically comparing the risk of getting COVID-19 and having a really bad outcome (death or long-hauler) to the risk of the vaccine causing a really bad outcome (blood clotting or some other side-effect causing death or stroke or other long-term negative health problem). 

Hence my comment, you are comparing risks that are several different orders of magnitude as if they are somewhat similar - they're not. Your chances of getting COVID-19 are far far far far higher than any potential side-effect from the vaccine, and if you get COVID-19 your chances of a major negative outcome are far far far far higher than if you get a side-effect from the vaccine. So you're exposing yourself and your wife, as well as any others you come across to potentially life-threatening risk to avoid a risk that's less likely than being struck by lightning.

You seem to be spending a lot of effort justifying your non-sensical and misguided analysis of my original statement. Back to kindy son.

Honestly, I would prefer it over other jabs having done some research, but am concerned that it has not been subject to western safety trials. However I have spoken to many health professionals with their ear to the ground and it seems fine. In fact, I haven't picked up any hint of serious side effects. I hope it gets WHO approval soon. Personally, I think the novel vaccines are harsh.

In response to the OP, I am thinking about the same thing (except spouse is not included).

If your employer is offering it and you don’t take it won’t that put you in the black sheep category, or there is enough vaccine hesitancy at your work to avoid that? I guess there is sufficient vaccine hesitancy in Thailand that you would be good for a few months though. 

Based on what I can make out among all the chaos, it is actually unlikely they would be able to specify what vaccine anyway as it would depend on precise timing (mostly Sinovac now, then half-half with AZ and then mostly AZ).  Please somebody correct me if I am wrong - it’s hard to keep up with it all.

And if a private company it is more likely to be Sinopharm that they get in June, through Chulabhorn. Sinopharm looks better than Sinovac for personal protection but you could still be a carrier (much, much less likely than without any vaccine, but I would guess after a few weeks a vaccinated me would be significantly less careful, even if I intended not to be). I have an anti-vax 84-year old in the family compound to consider, even if he doesn’t deserve it.

Another thing for me is that I cannot see any way (in my province) to get vaccinated until private hospitals start getting supplies. My previously available channel for registration is now ‘offline’ and will be Sinopharm only if or when it returns. Although people talk about Moderna supplies and it gets my hopes up, there really isn’t a timeline. Also, if Sinopharm is available for private purchase, it is a lot easier to transport and store and hospitals might switch plans because if they order 50,000 doses of Moderna and it arrives after most people in Bangkok have already been vaccinated, they might be stuck with a lot of expensive inventory.

So, dunno. I am not keen on Sinovac or Sinopharm because of my geriatric anti-vaxxer and because I am not sure how useful Sinovac-based vaccine passports are going to be in a year. I am leaning towards getting Sinopharm at the first opportunity and trying to be mindful of its potential weaknesses - but I might lean back to waiting at any time. I’m certainly signing up for anything now - I can always develop sniffles on the appointment date and have to cancel.

How much do you really know about the differences in vaccines anyhow, are you a doctor? Media is unlikely to give you what you need.

Same thing happened when the outbreak started, many people denied it, then you have the conspiracy theories, now you have people who have accepted the reality but there's something sinister about a particular vaccine.

One has to put their fear somewhere.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 9:32 PM, Rulie said:

I mean we are talking about a disease with a 99.5 survival rate.

I have heard several physicians express that it is "all about the numerator" in these statistics.

What they mean is that statistics apply to populations not individuals, public health agencies and governments are happy with a 1/100,000 death rate, but "Mr. 1" or "Mrs. 1" ain't happy to be dead.

• Like 2