Sinovac or wait ...?

Em150

Depends on the risk, when/if Sinovac is an option for you. Risk is based on your medical condiiton and the local transmission rate, and which vaccines might be an option.

Today, assuming Sinovac is the only option, No.

Tomorrow? Different decision.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Yes.  I would take it.  It will probably be next year before any of the western ones are available here anyway.  Except for the Astra made in Thailand, which we are at the end of the list to receive.

• Like 2

Probably better to take it.

2 doses are supposedly quite effective at stopping people getting hospitalised or dying. But it's bad at stopping people catching serious, mild and symptomless cases compared to western vaccines.

It means that even if a large fraction of the population takes Sinovac, COVID is still going to circulate. It's almost impossible to get to herd immunity with weak vaccines.

The worst case would be to be the unvaccinated person when everyone else is vaccinated with Chinese (but not dying) and COVID is circulating at high levels. It would be a risky position to be in.  That's what could happen is we waiting for a western vaccine as they open up.

Look at Chile, Mongolia, Hungary, Serbia, Maldives, Seychelles, UAE, Turkey. All relied a lot on Chinese vaccines and have got very high vaccination rates.... but still had large waves of cases (and deaths) when they tried to open up. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

Yes, absolutely. 

The choice isn't, as many think, Sinovac or some other, more effective vaccine. The choice is Sinovac or nothing.

You can always get the two shots of Sinovac now, and then later, when they become more available, get some other vaccine also.

The wisest answer on this topic so far. 

Edited by Antiparovian
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/22/2021 at 6:36 PM, vinci said:

if i were you, take what ever you can it won't kill you, never know when we will be a able to get vaccinated, there isn't enough vaccine of any kind to cover the whole of Thailand.

there are people before you already had Sinovac, they didn't turn into zombies

Not yet, time will tell.. it could be years before the 3rd testi apprears..

34 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I'm not a great believer in the Sinovac vaccine, I would rather wait a month or two and have 2 shots of AZ

I am with you to a point.  But if I cannot see the name on the vial I will walk out.  I'm already on a list at my private hospital for Moderna anyway.  Maybe Phizer will be available by then.  There is too much push from the private sector to be continually ignored.  Authorized for private hospitals will happen some time after AstraZinica rolls out, or is it runs out.  A lot of money is invested in that Thai company.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Em150

If you have reservations against Sinovac like many people here, I suggest you don't waste it. Just wait for Astrazeneca which will be in greater supply from next month.

There are many people who are more than happy to have Sinovac given the limited supply of vaccines. I asked the nurse doing vaccine registrations and she said Sinovac's in very short supply contrary to what people here said that 'nobody wants it'.

Give it to people who need it more than you i.e. over 60 or those with chronic disease.

If you want to go to western countries, Sinovac isn't recognized yet. However, travelling within East Asian countries isn't a problem.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

I'd prefer to wait if I have a choice and judge the risk of doing so is not too high to myself and wife. In any case looks like there will not be a decision needed till 4Q21 so plenty of time to mull. By then there should be several credible studies available to judge the performance and side effects of most of the candidate vaccines.

• Like 1