Thai media reports foreigners ready to make Thailand "their second home"

webfact

On 5/24/2021 at 12:36 PM, DirtyHarry55 said:

Know quite a few Expats who were forced out because they couldn't meet the Visa requirements even though they had family and or property here.
My advise is sell up and rent you never know when this government will change the requirements and kick you out.

I have  a Ford Escape and all my household goods of 12 years waiting for me on Koh Samui , mainly because i could not get health insurance due to age. They suddenly changed the requirments for my retirement visa.How can anybody really trust such selfish people.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2021 at 1:03 PM, sungod said:

Always depends where you buy, one of mine has doubled in price in 15 years, didn't initially buy it as an investment, rather somewhere to live where I liked and not to throw away money by renting.

Having your own condo to live in also keeps you off ' the landlord wont pay back my deposit, what shall I do?' threads. ????

"Doubled in price"  might sound good, but there are many Thai owners of resorts who wish that they could sell their investments, what makes you think that you can, for "double the price"

On 5/24/2021 at 1:16 PM, Daithi85 said:

Couldn't meet the visa requirements?? Surely if they could afford to own property here they'd have  no problem paying  a visa agent to help them  out. 

Stop dreaming mate !

2 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Perhaps there is someone who thinks differently than you for his own reasons,and be quite intelligent.

I don't really understand your reply to my comment. There is no reason not to apply for a Non-O visa if truly wanting to return to Thailand which mitigates the health insurance obstacle and does not require much intelligence to do so.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, strabel23 said:

I don't really understand your reply to my comment. There is no reason not to apply for a Non-O visa if truly wanting to return to Thailand which mitigates the health insurance obstacle and does not require much intelligence to do so.

Thank you , can i assume that you have done it and are you in your 80's as i am.

Thank you , can i assume that you have done it and are you in your 80's as i am.

All that's necessary is to cross the border out of Thailand cancelling your Non-O-A and re-entering on a visa exempt and re-applying the next day or within 30 days for a Non-O. Of course you can't do it right now because of Covid but will be able to once again when things get back to normal.

• Like 1

All that's necessary is to cross the border out of Thailand cancelling your Non-O-A and re-entering on a visa exempt and re-applying the next day or within 30 days for a Non-O. Of course you can't do it right now because of Covid but will be able to once again when things get back to normal.

But first you have to have a Non O-A and that i cannot get any more.

Try telling that to any insurance company, you are sill a 'spring chicken' to them

Again I will tell you, no health insurance is required for a Non-Immigrant-O visa good for 1 year and can be extended. 

• Like 2

Just now, Huckenfell said:

But first you have to have a Non O-A and that i cannot get any more.

No you don't need a Non O-A. You have your facts wrong. Just get a 30 day visa on arrival and apply for the Non-O while you are here. You can do it without having to leave the country.

14 minutes ago, strabel23 said:

I will ask UbonJoe about this, he is the only "lower deck lawyer" in here that i trust. A friend of mine got into trouble using an agent 2 years ago, so don't trust them either.

I will ask UbonJoe about this, he is the only "lower deck lawyer" in here that i trust. A friend of mine got into trouble using an agent 2 years ago, so don't trust them either.

Join "Thai Visa Advice" on Facebook and ask Todd Daniels. He is the online expert and can answer all questions concerning Thai visas and will verify what I have told you.

Join "Thai Visa Advice" on Facebook and ask Todd Daniels. He is the online expert and can answer all questions concerning Thai visas and will verify what I have told you.

Oh and if you are looking to sell your Ford Escape for a very cheap (falang can't return to Thailand) price. Let me know. ????

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 3:53 PM, Emdog said:

I bought my small condo about 15 yrs ago, 800k (and this was when $ was around 40 baht). Rents were about 15k/month at the time ($5400/yr). Using calculator, it was paid off in about 4 1/2 years, so I've been living "rent free" for at least 11 years. I know that due to lack of demand plus overbuilding would have led to lower monthly rent, I'm still far ahead of renting. Condo fees cheap here, maybe $300/year.

I could walk away from this place and still come out ahead of renting even if I gave it away. I didn't see this as an investment per se, but more like eliminating a monthly drain.

Good luck with that. To me Condo life is an horrible way to live. I like ground floor country. You can keep your condos for mine.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 4:18 PM, tlandtday said:

Some truth but might be tough sell as many have finally figured out the "guaranteed rental return" game that has left a notable company in bankruptcy with many more to come.

Yep! who in his right mind would buy a condo now.

On 5/25/2021 at 12:36 PM, sanuk711 said:

When did the Visa rules last Negatively change DirtyHarry55..........??

For my /our situations, 

Withdrawal of the non-O Multi-entry in the UK, when the e-visa system was introduced June 2019.

Then looked at the OA as a possible ME replacement, then they introduced the compulsory TGIA insurance Oct 2019, so that option down the drain. On investigation those policies are unlikely to ever cover me, and possibility of getting a suitable non-Thai insurance with their form signed, unlikely.

Previously we posted to London to get the years ME cover. But having to e-visa and post every time complete drudgery, and cannot plan say 11 months ahead. (An Even bigger problem for the likes of offshore workers)

The Glasgow consulate I hear, will no longer be able to issue Visa's after Friday....???? (We could at least still get a Tourist Visa there )

(Then add on random COV-SARS2 restrictions at both ends)

I suppose in a way, the saying Second home, they may suggest that people still have a first home, with commitments?

No way I would think of buying anything in Thailand, that is totally for the wife and kids, a three months of money stash  in a Thai bank is about as interested as I get now, did not think like that before 2019..

The facilitation available, to think of Thailand as a second home, continues to diminish .

Only saved from difficulties by coming back to the UK last March, and the wee boy will be in High school here for the next 4 years...problem / can kicked down the road for now. 

On 5/24/2021 at 5:12 PM, Neeranam said:

There are just too may negative for that to happen. It would be a nightmare, all the rich Chinese/Russians/norwegians/Scots buying up land. We'd end up looking like Australia. 

Allow just one block of land for personal use, no speculators.

On 5/24/2021 at 5:38 PM, RichardColeman said:

If that's the case, why is the picture a man with dollars ? 

On 5/24/2021 at 6:14 PM, Fex Bluse said:

I called it many times, and even at the start of the pandemic.

Chinese will be looking to aggressively buy up whatever they can - including businesses (and even tourism focused businesses). 

If the Thais incentivise people to come by loosening up the land ownership rules, the place will be overrun with PRC Chinese in the next 2-3 years.

All your favorite pubs will be converted into hot pot stalls and tea shops and other such nonsense.

Enjoy the country now whilst it's still possible.

International currency of course !

3 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Allow just one block of land for personal use, no speculators.

The Thai Gov. is in the process of allowing a foreigner to purchase property with up to 1 rai of land for an investment of 10 million baht. It was previously 40 million baht to qualify.

4 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

"Doubled in price"  might sound good, but there are many Thai owners of resorts who wish that they could sell their investments, what makes you think that you can, for "double the price"

Based on what I paid,  the prices others have sold for. Simple science really.