Phuket foreigners to get Sinovac

webfact

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

Am those who don't have a work permit immune to this virus?  Does the virus know not to infect those who are not working?  How does this virus detect this important differentiation?  I'm intrigued by the medical basis of this decision to only jab those with a work permit....

First, not only.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Will not be surprised if many will opt not to get the Sinvac instead waiting for a better one, i know i would...

Western arrogance, Sinovac seems to be highly effective.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Western arrogance, Sinovac seems to be highly effective.

But it was not advised for those over 60 or with health issues,but now all of a sudden in Thailand thats not a problem,

If i was younger i would not mind having it ,but to be honest at my age i dont fancy it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

the vaccine protected 98% of them from death
The vaccine protects 98% against DEATH after 2 shots but doesn't protect you against contracting COVID19 so even if you get the jab

you'll be able to spread the disease personally not sure how will that help attract tourism.
The 54% is the percentage Sinovac protects against contracting COVID.
And so how long until they get 2 jabs 2 months ?

Its not entirely corect that it does not protect you from contracting the decease, In the Seychelles   where they had an upsurge of infections after vaccinating 60% of the population, 

"more than a third of people who tested positive for Covid-19 in the week to May 8 had been fully vaccinated.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/seychelles-most-vaccinated-nation-on-earth-but-covid-19-has-surged.html

Which means that 2/3ds were protected or did not get exposed. So there must be some protection against contracting the disease 

Also most those vaccinated who got infected, did not get sick, got over it and acquired antibodies that provided some protection against contraction and thus transmission. 

I believe the 54% was during lab trials when the vaccine was being developed, then when it got administered to millions of people , real world data showed better results. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

From what I've heard from teachers on Phuket is that if you wish to wait for another vaccine, you need to do a weekly PCR test  at your cost.

I wonder if there will be an upcoming teacher shortage in Phuket?  ????

7 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

people who do not work in Phuket but retired there,

Yes indeed, my thought as well. No mention of ex-pat retirees in OP. Similar situation here in Cambodia - all Khmers and foreign employers/workers but not foreign retirees as yet. 

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

They couldn’t give this vaccine away as first prize in a televised lottery draw nobody wants it and if I’m honest I can’t blame them because I won’t be having a vaccine that has not been approved and is reported to be only 54:% . If it wasn’t good enough for the PM and his cronies then it’s not good enough for me . 

You are being generous.  If you are quoting Brazilian clinical studies on Sinovac effectiveness, the actual percentage is 50.4%.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

That's because there is a lot of misinformation out there. Are you willing to bet your life on misinformation? I not you don't. so rather than relaying on information spread by some with , to ne kind" limited knowledge  on the issue, I suggest you do some research on the subject. 

Your 54% is wrong. and when looking at articles check at dates, this issue is a fast moving one and six month old data is useless. 

"China Sinovac Shot Seen Highly Effective in Real World Study "

ndonesia tracked 128,290 health workers in capital city Jakarta from January to March and found that the vaccine protected 98% of them from death and 96% from hospitalization as soon as seven days after the second dose," "

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-11/china-s-sinovac-shot-found-highly-effective-in-real-world-study

Most Westerners here simply parrot their own country's Geo-Political stance that Chinese and Russian vaccines are unsafe and ineffective. 
The pandemic has become another pulpit to preach anti-China and anti-Russian foreign policy by denigrating both country's vaccine development and manufacturing efforts.

A world health disaster is not the place to play Geo-political whack-a-mole. 

All vaccines have their place in resolving the current crisis, but the West and their expatriated acolytes simply can't pass up the opportunity to have a go at all things Russia and China, backed not by hard science but by political science which isn't science at all. 
This is really bad timing to become political nationalists folks.
Yet for most of you - here you are.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, connda said:

Most Westerners here simply parrot their own country's Geo-Political stance that Chinese and Russian vaccines are unsafe and ineffective. 
The pandemic has become another pulpit to preach anti-China and anti-Russian foreign policy by denigrating both country's vaccine development and manufacturing efforts.

A world health disaster is not the place to play Geo-political whack-a-mole. 

All vaccines have their place in resolving the current crisis, but the West and their expatriated acolytes simply can't pass up the opportunity to have a go at all things Russia and China, backed not by hard science but by political science which isn't science at all. 
This is really bad timing to become political nationalists folks.
Yet for most of you - here you are.

Correct. Any vaccine is better than no vaccine. They lower spread, prevents hospitalization and death. Even if you do get infected, symptoms are mild.

• Like 1

Thailand can't force vaccinate you. Calm down. You are protected by law. 

I did my immigration stuff yesterday and the Thai government has no plans to force vaccinate westerners or even their own population. It's illegal. 

Nobody is being removed for refusing a vaccine. 

The choice is yours. 

So much misinformation around so learn your rights. 

https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docs/v2_rul_rule92

Screenshot_2021-05-27-06-58-45-19.thumb.jpg.c1d1b55219b227a1c464450ec072e84b.jpg