TAT announces preparations for “Amazing Thailand Grand Sale 2021”

webfact

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

What tourists ?

The ones the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) the sale will entice to go to the main tourism centres of Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chon Buri, which includes Pattaya, Nakhon Ratchasima, Phuket, and Songkhla, which includes Hat Yai,”

Certainly a big sale is more than enough to get people to fly to Thailand to go to those tourist areas. 

Of the myriad TAT campaigns we must suffer , the one that has always left me bemused is the one that portrays Bangkok/Thailand as being a shopping hub.

True, there are a lot of malls, but the breadth of offer is fairly average and pricing is expensive (thanks to import taxes and lack of competition in the market) compared to other major global cities. 

To be honest, when I occasionally head out to a mall in Bangkok, I usually depart with my wallet intact due lack of options and pricing.

I usually do most of my personal shopping when back in the UK for a visit or when in places like Singapore or Hong Kong.

During these COVID times and unable to travel,  I have even found its cheaper to buy some things overseas and get it shipped here than to purchase locally. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

The ones the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) the sale will entice to go to the main tourism centres of Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chon Buri, which includes Pattaya, Nakhon Ratchasima, Phuket, and Songkhla, which includes Hat Yai,”

Certainly a big sale is more than enough to get people to fly to Thailand to go to those tourist areas. 

Domestic tourists if you bother to quote the whole paragraph, they don't need to quarantine.

tourists.jpg.c4038b5c84d6e7970a597281eb3a3c89.jpg

8 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

All the recently unemployed will be chomping at the bit to get to these sales !

Oh wait , no they won’t as they are broke and up to their eyeballs in debt trying to survive . ????

Shoulda saved for a rainy day !!

31 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

There is another thread in which we are asked to nominate professions that are undervalued and deserve a pat on the back. I hereby nominate TAT for their relentless hard work, against all odds;  especially providing their deadly accurate forecasts of tourist numbers which is always very much appreciated when those tourist numbers are revised downwards every few days. Without those revisions I would be thinking we were about to be invaded by 30 million tourists this years.

This is a brilliant initiative and it's great to see that the governor is personally involved in a meeting. I do hope he ensure the success of this brilliant marketing strategy by staying closely involved and issuing a meaningless press briefing each day.

I just wonder whether anyone is checking whether all the shops and malls will be open for business on July 15th and whether you will be able to sit down inside a restaurant with a beer by then. 

You forgot to mention that they will use the cunning Rimping grocery  'sale" tactic where the orange SALE sticker covers the white "regular" sticker and they both are the identical price. ????

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Domestic tourists if you bother to quote the whole paragraph, they don't need to quarantine.

tourists.jpg.c4038b5c84d6e7970a597281eb3a3c89.jpg

Oh they're targeting the domestic market?

Yes, I didnt read the peice, since it was to be the same pie in the sky garbage they always trot out on any given day, with the word "local" thrown in. Can you blame us? At least they have a captive market! Few can afford or be bothered to fly internationally at the moment, in either direction anyway, and real money doesn't react to "sales".

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok, 26 May, 2021 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is preparing to stage the ‘Amazing Thailand Grand Sale 2021’ from 15 July to 15 September, 2021, to reiterate the image of Thailand as a shopping destination, while also helping all operators affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic

I wonder of Moderna or Pfizer is on the list?

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

read the article.

I saw the word "domestic"  tourist.   Is that the opposite of a Foreign Resident? As mentioned, I believe that the term should be "resident" or "visitor"     A tourist is "typically" someone from outside a country.  A "visitor" is someone inside a country who is exploring an area outside of where they live.  

One way or another, the idea of the Tourism Board sponsoring a sales event seems odd.  Wouldn't that be the role of the local Chamber of Commerce or perhaps some other agency charged with overseeing the domestic economy.  Just seems like a very strange role and activity for a "tourism board" 

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Are there any Cows in the prize draws as a lot of 'Netizens' will be unhappy if there isn't  !

Cows with the new lumpy disease, sure there will be a few

44 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I saw the word "domestic"  tourist.   Is that the opposite of a Foreign Resident? As mentioned, I believe that the term should be "resident" or "visitor"     A tourist is "typically" someone from outside a country.  A "visitor" is someone inside a country who is exploring an area outside of where they live.  

Are you being a belligerent A-hole for the sake of being one ?

The article says Thai and Foreign residents, when they travel within Thailand  they would be "domestic tourists".

Edited by Ralf001

Well, I suppose they have a budget that they have to spend (and skim) - or they risk not getting the budget next year.

I don't know what the Thais think, but it seems a bad look to me: to be putting effort and money into this kind of consumption (for the middle and upper classes?)  ... when vaccines are rare ...

... and announcing it on the day of the highest ever covid-death-toll, and with hundreds in a serious medical condition.

These days I avoid the shops and malls this promotion is aimed at (except extremely briefly, and only for necessities) ... It is not really wise to hang around in enclosed, possibly poorly ventilated buildings, coming into close contact with others ...

3 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Meanwhile the Maldives offers a FREE vax on arrival, not an expensive ASQ. They need to quit with the froth and focus on the substance or they are yesterdays men.

Unfortunately, being one of yesterday's men is the prime requisite for a leading role in TAT, or indeed any other government organisation!

Hey TAT, how about you get together with Bank of Thailand, and offer something truly valuable and enticing:

A Grand Sale on the Baht.

instead of letting the Baht rise every day, why not offer 25% off, good on all western currencies?  You already have a ridiculously high currency, that damages exports and tourism.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its the Job of the Tourism Authority Thailand to stimulate tourism. 

and what better way to stimulate tourism than helping to acquire vaccines. TAT deal with representatives of government all over the world. Surely they have some influence. ????

Here is how it usually works:

- Participants will announce a 90% discount* on a broad range of items or services.

- Note the little asterisk.

- A footnote in tiny font will then inform prospective customers that "only a strictly limited number" of these goods or services will be sold at that fantastic discount "as long as stocks last."

- The rest will be peddled at the regular price.

• Like 2

Not telling the Mrs about this she loves 'sales' real sucker for buy one get one free, spend 1k get 20 baht discount etc. Saw her eying up discounted dog food once- we don't have one! House is full of 'bargains' we never needed.