Phuket Sandbox July 2021

nickc

So, according to ThaiPBS (https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-specifies-requirements-for-reopening-to-foreign-tourists-on-july-1/) the move from 7 days to 14 days is not the only change for the worse. The article indicates that you must also have your certificate of vaccination from the country you are departing from (and therefore obtaining your CoE from). Vaccinated in the US but living/staying in Europe ... not allowed in. Vaccinated in Europe and leaving from Europe OK. Let's hope this was just a translation misunderstanding.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, skatewash said:

A subcommittee of the CCSA meeting today approved a 14-day requirement to stay in Phuket before being allowed to travel elsewhere in Thailand.  The full CCSA will meet early next week, consider the recommendations that have been made (including the 14-day requirement), discuss the issue, and vote on it.  If approved, it could be published in the Royal Gazette as early as the end of next week.  That's my understanding, at least.

Ok, so nothing sure yet???? Anyway thank you for the info.

Felt

16 minutes ago, PDP11 said:

So, according to ThaiPBS (https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-specifies-requirements-for-reopening-to-foreign-tourists-on-july-1/) the move from 7 days to 14 days is not the only change for the worse. The article indicates that you must also have your certificate of vaccination from the country you are departing from (and therefore obtaining your CoE from). Vaccinated in the US but living/staying in Europe ... not allowed in. Vaccinated in Europe and leaving from Europe OK. Let's hope this was just a translation misunderstanding.

I don't think that's the requirement and I don't think that's what the article means.  I think it means that you have to show the evidence of vaccination that is available from whatever country you were vaccinated in before arriving in Thailand.  There would be no reason to make the distinction of whether that is the country you departed from for Thailand or not.  I think possibly what is trying to be conveyed is that in the absence so far of a globally recognized vaccine passport for covid that what will be accepted is whatever evidence the country where you received your vaccination provides.

By the way, like the name.  The first computer I programmed in assembly language. ????

They keep saying you are completely free to travel around Phuket during those 14 days. At the same time its stated you are not allowed to stay in your own private house or condo. You have to book a sandbox approved hotel.  So which is it?

Lets say you book and pay the SHA+ and showed up at the hotel for tests when required. But choose stay in your own private accommodation. Would that be allowed? If not there must be some kind of curfew involved at the SHA+. How is this controlled? Will you have to check in every day at certain times?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

They keep saying you are completely free to travel around Phuket during those 14 days. At the same time its stated you are not allowed to stay in your own private house or condo. You have to book a sandbox approved hotel.  So which is it?

Lets say you book and pay the SHA+ and showed up at the hotel for tests when required. But choose stay in your own private accommodation. Would that be allowed? If not there must be some kind of curfew involved at the SHA+. How is this controlled? Will you have to check in every day at certain times?

We have to agree to before we arrive (i think related to the COE conditions) 

• stay only at SHA (+PLUS) accommodation ONLY
  • download and activate the Thailand Plus application, which we MUST use when checking in or out of restaurants-7-11 daily or any time we leave the Hotel, etc and or any other location we visit during our stay.

That’s what they want you to do.

I’m not sure if the hotels need to report in or out during your stay? But maybe

just saw this

Requirements During and after the Stay

Tourists must report Daily on the Thailand Plus mobile application

Edited by bolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, H508 said:

Ugh, Cathay Pacific just cancelled my flight (USA->Hong Kong->Phuket) arriving on July 1 and rebooked me automatically for July 20th, haha. Seems a clear sign of what they're expecting with the official news next week.

- The move from 7 to 14 days and SHA+ isn't great, but I'd still go as I'd be staying for 60 days.

- The addition of possibly 2(?!!) covid tests in Phuket when I'm there after already taking one pre-flight (and naturally another when I leave) out of my pocket? Probably also still needing travel insurance? Almost a deal breaker with these costs keep piling on non-stop.

- SHA+ Hotel - also not great but assuming the majority of SHA hotels get SHA+ approval, not awful

- Who knows what else we may see next week if we do finally get official rules. Restrict travel on the island? Can't go to neighboring islands until after day 5? The news requiring excursions possibly having to go through tour groups?

Probably going to be a cancelled trip and I'll go to Mexico or the Caribbean.

Send us a postcard from Mexico.  Just Juan will do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, H508 said:

Ugh, Cathay Pacific just cancelled my flight (USA->Hong Kong->Phuket) arriving on July 1 and rebooked me automatically for July 20th, haha. Seems a clear sign of what they're expecting with the official news next week.

- The move from 7 to 14 days and SHA+ isn't great, but I'd still go as I'd be staying for 60 days.

- The addition of possibly 2(?!!) covid tests in Phuket when I'm there after already taking one pre-flight (and naturally another when I leave) out of my pocket? Probably also still needing travel insurance? Almost a deal breaker with these costs keep piling on non-stop.

- SHA+ Hotel - also not great but assuming the majority of SHA hotels get SHA+ approval, not awful

- Who knows what else we may see next week if we do finally get official rules. Restrict travel on the island? Can't go to neighboring islands until after day 5? The news requiring excursions possibly having to go through tour groups?

I think you have to do a test pre-flight, then three during the Phuket part. Then, another pre-flight before returning home. So, five total.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

If you love the beach under the rain (It's a rain season with a lot of rain this year)

if you don't use the swimming pool (They are closed)

if you don't drink alcool with your meal (The restaurants aren't allowed to sale alcool)

if you don't go in the bars or in the massages shops (They are all closed)

if you love to have a mask on your face as soon as you go out of your room

(It's a requirment everywhere in Thailand, and the fines are huge is you don't comply)

then go to Phuket

if you want have fun in a more relaxed area. i would say Mexico and the Carribean sound

like a better and cheaper option wihtout all the paperwork hassle and the 20 hours flight travel

Lol, I knew it was off season with some rain probably likely, but didn't know it would be worse than usual. Definitely had no idea about closed pools and I figured a few restaurants and massage places would open to try their luck. Sadly, I'm with the Thai wife, so bars doesn't matter too much. And now from 7 to 14 days of these items? Yikes. Def cheaper as the reason we go is for the wife to visit her family in two different spots (Bangkok & Isaan) where I'm floating the bills for food and entertainment (driving to wats for the women, <deleted> whiskey for the guys) anyway. 

Even the wife is saying we don't go this year when I explained all the headaches, which is shocking.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, H508 said:

Even the wife is saying we don't go this year when I explained all the headaches, which is shocking.

i am sure she knows what sort of mess it's actually in Thailand

so she is wise to doesn't want to come here

Send some money to the Thai family (I am sure she did it already anyway) with some kind words for them and the hope to go to see them next year when the things will be better and enjoy your holidays in the carribeans

Thanks me later

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, H508 said:

My understanding is that you cannot leave the island so no day trips to Phi Phi etc until you've done your 14 day "quarantine" on Phuket.

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

My understanding is that you cannot leave the island so no day trips to Phi Phi etc until you've done your 14 day "quarantine" on Phuket.

That's my understanding, too.

13 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Still looks like you could stay at your own home on Phuket and just swing by the hotel each day to satisfy the requirement that you are "staying" at the hotel. If they want you to show you are there during certain times, then they will have to stipulate when that curfew is. 

i have 2 phones, so i installed the tracking app on my crappy one the last time, and that stayed in the house(hotel next), from what I’ve seen nobody actually checks if your checking in or showing a QR code from another place, so an old screen shot works.

I was worried about getting a close contact notification, so I deliberately stopped using these tracking apps, I don’t want my family or myself being forced to go for a test, which could lead to forced quarantine

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

If you love the beach under the rain (It's a rain season with a lot of rain this year)

if you don't use the swimming pool (They are closed)

if you don't drink alcool with your meal (The restaurants aren't allowed to sale alcool)

if you don't go in the bars or in the massages shops (They are all closed)

if you love to have a mask on your face as soon as you go out of your room

(It's a requirment everywhere in Thailand, and the fines are huge is you don't comply)

then go to Phuket

if you want have fun in a more relaxed area. i would say Mexico and the Carribean sound

like a better and cheaper option wihtout all the paperwork hassle and the 20 hours flight travel

A classic negative post on here.

He’s only happy when he has something to complain about, he’s probably struggles to find 3 POSITIVE reasons as to why he lives in Thailand

1.       I don’t like this in my home country

2.       I don’t like that in my home country

3.       ………………………………………………………

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bolt said:

A classic negative post on here.

He’s only happy when he has something to complain about, he’s probably struggles to find 3 POSITIVE reasons as to why he lives in Thailand

1.       I don’t like this in my home country

2.       I don’t like that in my home country

3.       ………………………………………………………

A classic attempt of deflection from your comment

what part of my post exactly is a false statement?

I can find more than 100 positives reasons to live in Thailand

(And in fact i live here for these reasons)

at the moment i don't see any to come in Phuket using this sand box scheme with all the costs and the hassle linked to it

Can you find 3 positives reasons to do it for our friend from the US ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Can hardly see a problem for a genuine tourist that he have to stay on the island for two weeks. Most tourist goes for 2-3 weeks anyway booking a flight and a good hotel, enjoy the hotel facilities, sun bathing, the beaches and some cheap shopping. Usually their holiday is for a relaxed time at one destination not a sweating backpacking tour through Thailand and South East Asia for 6 months which I think most are aware that maybe not are the best kind of travel now considering covid -19 restrictions everywhere.

Felt.

For comparison from July 2021:

Phuket:  Fully Vaccinated

14 days of Island Quasi Quarantine

2 PCR Tests

$100,000 Mandatory Insurance

Bangkok:  Not Vaccinated

15 days of Quarantine(First Day is "Day Zero")

3 PCR Tests

I have Round Trip ticket  that lands in BKK in a few months.  I cannot change my return destination on the ticket so I will end up BKK at a Quarantine Hotel. A one way on Emirates from LAX to HKT is over $1,000(no thanks).   Also, ANA has a one way to HKT but it stops in BKK and I believe the "SandBox" requires a direct flight flight into HKT? Phuket seems a little better than BKK.  If someone knows better than please correct me.  

41 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

For comparison from July 2021:

Phuket:  Fully Vaccinated

14 days of Island Quasi Quarantine

2 PCR Tests

Bangkok:  Not Vaccinated

15 days of Quarantine(First Day is "Day Zero")

3 PCR Tests

I have Round Trip ticket  that lands in BKK in a few months.  I cannot change my return destination on the ticket so I will end up BKK at a Quarantine Hotel. A one way on Emirates from LAX to HKT is over $1,000(no thanks).   Also, ANA has a one way to HKT but it stops in BKK and I believe the "SandBox" requires a direct flight flight into HKT? Phuket seems a little better than BKK.  If someone knows better than please correct me.  

They say they will allow special transfer in Bangkok, but details of how that would work haven't been finalized.  Should know something early next week.  So I don't believe those flights can be booked yet.

Edited by skatewash
Added video and link

3 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

A classic attempt of deflection from your comment

what part of my post exactly is a false statement?

I can find more than 100 positives reasons to live in Thailand

(And in fact i live here for these reasons)

at the moment i don't see any to come in Phuket using this sand box scheme with all the costs and the hassle linked to it

Can you find 3 positives reasons to do it for our friend from the US ?

Your post is based on current rules and regulations

So July will change.

I don’t know about “our friend” whos based in the US so its really ‘up 2 him”

As for my reasons

If you love the beach under the rain (It's a rain season with a lot of rain this year) I haven’t see rain since April, so Rain is actually nice for me

if you don't use the swimming pool (They are closed) “lets wait for confirmation starting July, I think it will change ”

if you don't drink alcool with your meal (The restaurants aren't allowed to sale alcool) “lets wait for confirmation starting July, I think it will change ”

if you don't go in the bars or in the massages shops (They are all closed) “lets wait for confirmation starting July, I think it will change ”

if you love to have a mask on your face as soon as you go out of your room ‘ where in the world is it acceptable to walk around and NOT wear a Mask”

my other option is ASQ and be locked in Loom for 23 hours per day, so bring this sandbox on, let it rain brother

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Can hardly see a problem for a genuine tourist that he have to stay on the island for two weeks. Most tourist goes for 2-3 weeks anyway booking a flight and a good hotel, enjoy the hotel facilities, sun bathing, the beaches and some cheap shopping.

Maybe you are not really well aware of the situation on the ground?

It's actually the rainy season in Phuket, so you can forget the sun bathing on the beaches

(And the swimming also, as most of the time at this season it's too dangerous and so forbiden)

For the hotel facilities, the swimming pools and the gyms are actualy closed

Also are closed the bars, the massages shops and most of the shoping mails like Junceylon.

Of course you are not allowed to travel to the small islands around

And you have to wear a mask on your face everywhere at anytime as soon as you are out of your room

So a genuine tourist is going to enjoy what exactly during 2 weeks ?

Please enlighten me

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bolt said:

Your post is based on current rules and regulations

So July will change.

I don’t know about “our friend” whos based in the US so its really ‘up 2 him”

As for my reasons

If you love the beach under the rain (It's a rain season with a lot of rain this year) I haven’t see rain since April, so Rain is actually nice for me

if you don't use the swimming pool (They are closed) “lets wait for confirmation starting July, I think it will change ”

if you don't drink alcool with your meal (The restaurants aren't allowed to sale alcool) “lets wait for confirmation starting July, I think it will change ”

if you don't go in the bars or in the massages shops (They are all closed) “lets wait for confirmation starting July, I think it will change ”

if you love to have a mask on your face as soon as you go out of your room ‘ where in the world is it acceptable to walk around and NOT wear a Mask”

my other option is ASQ and be locked in Loom for 23 hours per day, so bring this sandbox on, let it rain brother

Yes of course my post is based on the REALITY and actual situation

not on some dreams and hopes based on nothing

What sort of tourist in his right mind is going to plan to spend his annual 2\3 weeks holidays with his family to an expensive destination based only on the hope that all the actual rules and regulations will be relaxed soon ?

It doesn't make any sense !

My bet is you are not a real tourist

but more likely a returnee with a family or gf in Thailand

it's the Phuket model better than an ASQ hotel room in Bangkok?

Of course, it is. However imo in the head of the Thais authorities the

project was not to drive the returnees from Bangkok to Phuket, but 

more to attract real tourists on the island, and again i don't see

how that could happens

11 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes of course my post is based on the REALITY and actual situation

not on some dreams and hopes based on nothing

What sort of tourist in his right mind is going to plan to spend his annual 2\3 weeks holidays with his family to an expensive destination based only on the hope that all the actual rules and regulations will be relaxed soon ?

It doesn't make any sense !

What sort of tourist takes their family to ANYWHERE in the world during a pandemic, I won’t take my family anywhere right now.

So any tourist going to Phuket is mad.

However if you have other reasons for entering Thailand, and want another option instead of ASQ-ALQ I’ll tell them go to Phuket

Bars are open, restaurants are open, what are they serving and how many days per week are they open is a different story.

i'm going to Phuket in July, I've already done 1 ASQ and 1 ALQ, so its waaaaay better, i'll send you pictures from the bar, beach, and the Sunday Roast if you want

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bolt said:

What sort of tourist takes their family to ANYWHERE in the world during a pandemic, I won’t take my family anywhere right now.

So any tourist going to Phuket is mad.

However if you have other reasons for entering Thailand, and want another option instead of ASQ-ALQ I’ll tell them go to Phuket

Bars are open, restaurants are open, what are they serving and how many days per week are they open is a different story.

i'm going to Phuket in July, I've already done 1 ASQ and 1 ALQ, so its waaaaay better, i'll send you pictures from the bar, beach, and the Sunday Roast if you want

Bars are not currently open, those that are also licenced restaurants are.   Alchohol is not being served (officially).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bolt said:

You are wrong

destinations like Spain and Greece are already in full swing for this summer as are all the touristics coastal places in south of France and Italy

However i agree with you, staying during 15 or 20 hours in a confined place like a plane with your family and a bunch of other unknow people will be a no go for me and probably for most of the people.

I don't even talk about the cost and the visas problems

15 minutes ago, bolt said:

'll send you pictures from the bar

FYI the bars are closed in all Thailand (Except the ones with a restaurant licence and restaurants are not allowed to sell alcool) 

• Like 1