Phuket: Only 1% occupancy in hotels in May - 90% shut - so will the tourists come July 1st?

webfact

Just now, Deli said:

This is not the type of tourist targeted. The island needs "normal" tourists, staying 2 or 3 weeks, bookings tours, eating out, shopping, rent a car, etc. Long timers do not feed the industry.

I think you will find tours, eating out, renting vehicles are no longer options for foreign tourists in Thailand.

You come and you stay in the hotel grounds.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think you will find tours, eating out, renting vehicles are no longer options for foreign tourists in Thailand.

You come and you stay in the hotel grounds.

I think you are completely wrong

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Don't forget the ten day self-isolation in the UK. It might change by summer ( I hope it does) but that in itself is off-putting and similar inconveniences in other countries will still put off all but long term stayers from travelling 

It will change, and also it's only 5 days after a negative test on day 5

Just now, stuarty said:

I will I am not discounting a short delay of a week or so, but all signs are that this is a fully supported

goer.

Tell me again on July 30th then.

(or August, or September, or October)

Since March 2020 we've had fantasy plans of re-opening, always 4-6 weeks in the future.

Non of which ever happened. You may be right, and I may be wrong ........ but I doubt it.

Edited by BritManToo

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Tell me again on July 2nd.

Why would a vaccinated tourist under the now widely announced scheme for Phuket not be able to rent a vehicle, or eat in a restaurant? Have you been living under rock?

Edited by stuarty

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone (most) returning back to Bangkok (after business overseas etc) will simply do the 7 days Phuket Sandbox quarantine instead of the 14 day Bangkok ASQ. 

It won’t take long for the hotels in Bangkok to realise they are loosing all their business to Phuket and thus there will be pressure to reduce the ASQ to 7 days for vaccinated individuals - IMO, the ASQ period will revert back to 7 days fairly soon after the Phuket Sandbox model is officially announced. 

That said: The Phuket Sandbox model is still preferable to 7 days ASQ in Bangkok - its easy enough to get a flight back up to Bangkok after 7 days in Phuket. 

Does that mean that after the 7 day quarantine you are free to travel further afield in Thailand ?

Another point missed. If Thailand stays on Amber (using UK as an example but similar restrictions are in most Countries) then if you go to Thailand you not only have to Quarantine when you return but your travel Insurance is invalid. This is obviously against Thai rules for entry. Phuket will stay on the same alert as the rest of Thailand no matter what the Thai Gov thinks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuandjulie said:

Another point missed. If Thailand stays on Amber (using UK as an example but similar restrictions are in most Countries) then if you go to Thailand you not only have to Quarantine when you return but your travel Insurance is invalid. This is obviously against Thai rules for entry. Phuket will stay on the same alert as the rest of Thailand no matter what the Thai Gov thinks. 

Then buy Thai travel insurance.  They won't care about these potential loopholes. Also, Amber, you can get out after 5 days at home on return to UK (nobody really checking) after a test. No great hardship, and likely to change for the better over the summer

Edited by stuarty

1 minute ago, stuarty said:

Then buy Thai travel insurance.  they won't care about these potential loopholes.

But why buy extra travel insurance when other countries can be visited without these hassles?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stuarty said:
9 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

It ain't happening. Sadly.

That's a sad, pathetic negative comment based on not much at all

I want to agree with you. 

But, a negative impression of these announcements and similar such announcements is borne of what can only be described as the previous total and utter contractory and inconsistent announcements.... 

We’ve had Covid visa amnesty, no more Covid visa amnesty, ok then, one more Covid visa amnesty, no more, ok, more visa amnesties.... no need to wear a mask in open air, have to wear a mask outdoors, no need to wear a mask while exercising, people arrested for wearing a mask while exercising, no more than 20 people gathering together, 6 people arrested for having dinner at a friends house.... then we’ve had Yatch Quarantine, SandBox quarantine, 14 day quarantine, 7 day quarantine, 10 day quarantine, back to 14 day quarantine, Foreigners will be vaccinated, won’t be vaccinated, will be vaccinated after Thai’s, an app is coming, xx million vaccines in country by may, ok, June then, ok, August... second vaccine must be taken within 10 weeks, not enough vaccines in country, second booster vaccine can be taken after 14 weeks...  and on and on and on....... 

Cynicism is completely understandable.....  That said, it does appear as this Phuket Sandbox initiative is gaining more and more official momentum. But, it takes a minor outbreak of a new variant and things can change in the blinking of an eye. 

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

But why buy extra travel insurance when other countries can be visited without these hassles?

Because it's the rule currently (subject to sandbox possible easing if vaccinated  yet to be announced).  Also I am not suggesting extra insurance, only just Thailand (e.g. Axa ) travel insurance including Covid protection.  No great hardship, and actually probably advisable given that there's a worldwide pandemic of Coronavirus on top of the usual risks of holidaying abroad.

10 minutes ago, superal said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone (most) returning back to Bangkok (after business overseas etc) will simply do the 7 days Phuket Sandbox quarantine instead of the 14 day Bangkok ASQ. 

It won’t take long for the hotels in Bangkok to realise they are loosing all their business to Phuket and thus there will be pressure to reduce the ASQ to 7 days for vaccinated individuals - IMO, the ASQ period will revert back to 7 days fairly soon after the Phuket Sandbox model is officially announced. 

That said: The Phuket Sandbox model is still preferable to 7 days ASQ in Bangkok - its easy enough to get a flight back up to Bangkok after 7 days in Phuket. 

Does that mean that after the 7 day quarantine you are free to travel further afield in Thailand ?

I only have the same information at my finger tips as you... Namely these threads and the Facebook group (which was linked to on the first page of this thread) 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/388875605677294/

Everything I have read leads me to the understanding that a vaccinated individual can fly into Phuket, stay at ‘any’ hotel *(which has SHA approval (>70% staff vaccinated) for 7 days and have free range over the island of Phuket. 

A covid-19 RT PCR test is carried out on day 5 (results the following day). 

On day 7 we are free to travel to the remainder of Thailand without restriction (if there are no local provincial restrictions on arrivals from other provinces). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I want to agree with you. 

But, a negative impression of these announcements and similar such announcements is borne of what can only be described as the previous total and utter contractory and inconsistent announcements.... 

We’ve had Covid visa amnesty, no more Covid visa amnesty, ok then, one more Covid visa amnesty, no more, ok, more visa amnesties.... no need to wear a mask in open air, have to wear a mask outdoors, no need to wear a mask while exercising, people arrested for wearing a mask while exercising, no more than 20 people gathering together, 6 people arrested for having dinner at a friends house.... then we’ve had Yatch Quarantine, SandBox quarantine, 14 day quarantine, 7 day quarantine, 10 day quarantine, back to 14 day quarantine, Foreigners will be vaccinated, won’t be vaccinated, will be vaccinated after Thai’s, an app is coming, xx million vaccines in country by may, ok, June then, ok, August... second vaccine must be taken within 10 weeks, not enough vaccines in country, second booster vaccine can be taken after 14 weeks...  and on and on and on....... 

Cynicism is completely understandable.....  That said, it does appear as this Phuket Sandbox initiative is gaining more and more official momentum. But, it takes a minor outbreak of a new variant and things can change in the blinking of an eye. 

Mostly correct. The policies were adapted to evolving circumstances over the last year or so.  Some people were caught between the changing rules, but all were generally still able to enter Thailand under prevailing rules, if qualified. I fully understand the cynicism, but the 1 July sandbox is being pushed hard.  Announcement next week. Foreigners vaccination programme somewhat is a separate issue, sadly.

So, as a normal 2-3 week tourist, I'm going to put in for company vacation time (often, months in advance), book a flight and hotel, run all the immigration traps and cross my fingers that the Thai gub'ment won't pull yet another U-Turn between now and wheels up?

What could possibly go wrong, even if everything was 100% refundable?

I think the Phuket sandbox is a great idea.  But it's going to take some history before the touring public has confidence that it will actually happen.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I only have the same information at my finger tips as you... Namely these threads and the Facebook group (which was linked to on the first page of this thread) 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/388875605677294/

Everything I have read leads me to the understanding that a vaccinated individual can fly into Phuket, stay at ‘any’ hotel *(which has SHA approval (>70% staff vaccinated) for 7 days and have free range over the island of Phuket. 

A covid-19 RT PCR test is carried out on day 5 (results the following day). 

On day 7 we are free to travel to the remainder of Thailand without restriction (if there are no local provincial restrictions on arrivals from other provinces). 

Correct as far as we know today.  Further announcement next week. Those who say the sandbox is not happening at all are fading, and I stand to eat my optimism, but anyway let's wait a week and see.

“ gearing up”.... good grief......right, with 300 tourists total now in Phuket......and STILL no final govt. approval of 1 July Vax / No Quarantine/ Phuket “Sandbox”...flight bookings (cancellable) no real indicator under the circumstances, only flight arrivals......arriving to .....  very little.....

March/ April 2021 domestic tourism artificially induced by govt. travel incentives,so hardly a “recovery” more of a “dead cat bounce”, after the “cat” plummeted March 2020.... RIP 

1 minute ago, impulse said:

So, as a normal 2-3 week tourist, I'm going to put in for vacation time, book a flight and hotel, run all the immigration traps and cross my fingers that the Thai gub'ment won't pull yet another U-Turn between now and wheels up?

What could possibly go wrong, even if everything was 100% refundable?

I think the Phuket sandbox is a great idea.  But it's going to take some history before the touring public has confidence that it will actually happen.

In your case, probably don't bother then

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’ll make a difference....

All those who are doing the 14 day ASQ in Bangkok will switch to 7 days in Phuket (if they can get vaccinated before they travel here). 

If this ‘Phuket SandBox’) model takes off, My Wife, Son and I will travel back to the UK for a summer break. 

I was not prepared for my Son to quarantine in a hotel room for 2 weeks, but a hotel of our choice (SHA certified as many are) is not going to be crazy expensive and could actually be a pleasant option. 

But, how long will this last for until all the Bangkok Hotels which had spend money on ASQ modifications loose what business they did have to the Phuket Hotels and start complaining. 

Lots thinking this way

7 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

“ gearing up”.... good grief......right, with 300 tourists total now in Phuket......and STILL no final govt. approval of 1 July Vax / No Quarantine/ Phuket “Sandbox”...flight bookings (cancellable) no real indicator under the circumstances, only flight arrivals......arriving to .....  very little.....

March/ April 2021 domestic tourism artificially induced by govt. travel incentives,so hardly a “recovery” more of a “dead cat bounce”, after the “cat” plummeted March 2020.... RIP 

Right.  It's a crappy time of year to visit Phuket and the level of takeup remains to be seen. Many will wait and see and travel later.  But for anyone keen to return to anywhere in Thailand it's a good offer if it eventuates, and you can travel nationwide after a week in crappy or otherwise Phuket.  Why knock it.  Don't all posters here generally have an interest in travelling to or staying in Thailand, and in  the welfare of the local economies?

Edited by stuarty

4 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Having jabs does nothing to reduce your chances of infection at all - it merely reduces the likelyhood of you ending up in hospital on a ventilator.

"90% effective" means there is only one chance in 10 that, when you become infected. you will need to be hospitalised.

Amazing how that - 18 months into the pandemic - there are still people who don't understand the basic language of vaccination.

Indeed, it is most incredibly amazing how that - 18 months into a pandemic there are still people don’t understand the basic language of vaccination !!!!!! 

90% efficacy means - of 100 people exposed to covid-19, 90 of them will not test positive for Covid-19. 

10 may test positive for Covid-19 and suffer various degrees of severity, however, the vast majority have no symptoms or very light to moderate symptoms.

This has bene the case for all vaccines of varying efficacy.

i.e. Sinovac has 50.4% efficacy against Covid-19, a 78% efficacy against symptoms of Covid-19 (i.e. an additional 28% of people will test positive for Covid-19 but not show symptoms), the remainder will have mild to moderate symptoms. Sinovac is reportedly effective against sever cases, hospitalisation and death *(nothing is 100% and the vaccines may not be effective on a very small minority of people).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stuarty said:

In your case, probably don't bother then

I've described the vast majority of their target demographic.  And you've distilled our thoughts concisely. 

Don't bother.

Edit:  Backed up by the recent Chinese tourism survey indicating they're waiting for a few months after the quarantines go away.  That's how long it's going to take to build confidence that the gub'ment won't kneejerk another U-Turn.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2