Jump to content

Phuket: Only 1% occupancy in hotels in May - 90% shut - so will the tourists come July 1st?


webfact

Recommended Posts

220668_SCN_Phuket_iStock910551026_Z20B18.jpg

File photo for reference only

 

As Phuket gears up for the much vaunted start of the so-called "Phuket Sandbox" scheme a hotel association rep has painted a grim picture of the holiday island in the south of Thailand. 

 

Southern Thai Hoteliers' association chief Kongsak Khupongsakorn told the Thai media that nearly 100% of Thai tourists had disappeared as the third wave of Covid hit. 

 

This can be added to the obvious absence of 100% of foreign tourists for more than a year. 

 

Kongsak said that the island's #1domestic tourism market - Bangkokians - was wiped out in the third wave of the virus. 

 

Right now only 10% of hotels in Phuket were even open. That was just to give staff something to do. He said they were looking after the property rather than looking after guests.

 

He said that occupancy right now was 1% in Phuket in May.

 

There were only 300 hotels operating with 30,000 rooms. 

 

March and April had seen some recovery with 10-15% occupancy - until the third wave that was far more devastating than the first two hit Thailand. 

 

Much has been made of the "D-Day" for the return to foreign tourism that is July 1st. 

 

The Thai tourism authorities think foreigners will come. Many cheeky observers have noted that pigs are more likely to be flying into Phuket than tourists from abroad. 

 

Previous attempt to promote foreign tourism have all largely failed in Thailand leading many to suggest that the current optimism will again fall flat. 

 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-27
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phuket: Only 1% occupancy in hotels in May - 90% shut - so will the tourists come July 1st?

Bookings do not occur in a vacuum.  The TAT, airlines, and hotels should be very well aware of the advanced number of bookings and reservations and could provide the numbers to the public to inspire confidence in their July 1st Grand Opening Scheme.

Do you hear anything?  <wind blowing across empty landscape)
Have any officials given the public a projected number of arrivals based on bookings?
Think about that.  I've answered the question.



 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the airline companies would be able to tell you if there is any increase in traffic, When I look in Airbnb and Booking.com I dont see any increase in views 

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

Many cheeky observers have noted that pigs are more likely to be flying into Phuket than tourists from abroad.

In fact that's about the only reason I would come to phuket is to watch them landing in the sand box.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they did, even 14/15 day quarantine, and maybe 5-7 day max with vaccine, then allowed to leave the Island.

With only Neg. PCR test required, I could see a lot of people coming on that.

 

But the extensive requirements for a (STV/Non-O) visa puts a lot of people off.  Many comments about this in other posts.  Even people with retirement visa's not bothering to return until ASQ requirements reduced/removed.


To be specific on requirements I jumped through:

Criminal Record check, Medical Insurance, Bank Statement, and asking for proof of stay after ASQ is also a waste of time and resources.

 

Without STV, the 2 weeks ASQ for 30d (VoA) after, is not the right reward for the "pain" endured.  Ok, yes can extend 60d, and all that, but on the face of it.

 

Good luck Phuket, but dont see it happening until # hoops is reduced/removed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you still need a CoE and COVID insurance?

Let alone any quarantine?

 

If they could get rid of all those conditions (for vaccinated travellers) and not make any sudden changes for 2 months, and keep all the resorts, bars and beaches open, maybe they'd start to get a few tourists. I certainly wouldn't risk my 2 weeks annual leave on the chance of a July Phuket holiday actually happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't even mention the weather, rainy miserable season, even in normal times this is the low season, who wants to come here, windy, big waves and muddy sea and no sun...., they should pay tourist something to get them down here in this time and conditions ....! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, webfact said:

There were only 300 hotels operating with 30,000 rooms. 

I work that 1% out as 1 room occupied in every hotel - definitely more bust than boom.

 

If they do not tourists in with just their vaccinated cards only, this hotel sector is going to be a slaughterhouse soon.

 

With airlines like BA supposedly not flying to Thailand October, this whole Phuket boom plan is knackered before it even starts 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Why would they not come? 

Latest (not confirmed) from travel agents info is no quarantine but must stay in a list of hotels where staff are vaccinated and free to roam Phuket 

 

This is all subject to an announcement from TAT on the 1st June 

 

Don't book anything yet! 

Screenshot_20210527-165451.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, connda said:

Phuket: Only 1% occupancy in hotels in May - 90% shut - so will the tourists come July 1st?

Bookings do not occur in a vacuum.  The TAT, airlines, and hotels should be very well aware of the advanced number of bookings and reservations and could provide the numbers to the public to inspire confidence in their July 1st Grand Opening Scheme.

Do you hear anything?  <wind blowing across empty landscape)
Have any officials given the public a projected number of arrivals based on bookings?
Think about that.  I've answered the question.



 

The sounds of silence😩

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Uroller said:

The sounds of silence😩

Hello darkness my old friend
no tourists are coming to Phuket again
because a virus softly creeping............

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Hello darkness my old friend
no tourists are coming to Phuket again
because a virus softly creeping............

And the government sleeping....

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’ll make a difference....

 

All those who are doing the 14 day ASQ in Bangkok will switch to 7 days in Phuket (if they can get vaccinated before they travel here). 

 

 

If this ‘Phuket SandBox’) model takes off, My Wife, Son and I will travel back to the UK for a summer break. 

I was not prepared for my Son to quarantine in a hotel room for 2 weeks, but a hotel of our choice (SHA certified as many are) is not going to be crazy expensive and could actually be a pleasant option. 

 

 

 

But, how long will this last for until all the Bangkok Hotels which had spend money on ASQ modifications loose what business they did have to the Phuket Hotels and start complaining. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, matador007 said:

Good luck Phuket, but dont see it happening until # hoops is reduced/removed.

 

The whole point is that from July 1st the hoops are reduced.. For vaccinated people.. 

 

I dont think its going to result in a flood of tourism, even a trickle, but thats the plan 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, matador007 said:

If they did, even 14/15 day quarantine, and maybe 5-7 day max with vaccine, then allowed to leave the Island.

With only Neg. PCR test required, I could see a lot of people coming on that.

 

But the extensive requirements for a (STV/Non-O) visa puts a lot of people off.  Many comments about this in other posts.  Even people with retirement visa's not bothering to return until ASQ requirements reduced/removed.


To be specific on requirements I jumped through:

Criminal Record check, Medical Insurance, Bank Statement, and asking for proof of stay after ASQ is also a waste of time and resources.

 

Without STV, the 2 weeks ASQ for 30d (VoA) after, is not the right reward for the "pain" endured.  Ok, yes can extend 60d, and all that, but on the face of it.

 

Good luck Phuket, but dont see it happening until # hoops is reduced/removed.

I am in the UK having carried out personal business and have had 2 covid jabs . However returning to my lady and Thai home is bewildering and disappointing because of the 15 day quarantine . If the Thai authorities understood that having a double jab almost mitigates infection and gives the vaccinated person the protection that stops hospitalisation the quarantine period  could /should be reduced to 7 days maximum , especially if a pcr test had been taken 72 hours before the flight . Or is it just another way of making money via the ASQ hotels ? A 7 day quarantine period would then not only give hotels business but also local entertainment vendors too when the 7 days are up .  Maybe additional 7 day quarantine hotels could open up . But who is making all the profit for the overpriced 15 day ASQ hotels ? that is a major factor

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, superal said:

I am in the UK having carried out personal business and have had 2 covid jabs . However returning to my lady and Thai home is bewildering and disappointing because of the 15 day quarantine . If the Thai authorities understood that having a double jab almost mitigates infection and gives the vaccinated person the protection that stops hospitalisation the quarantine period  could /should be reduced to 7 days maximum , especially if a pcr test had been taken 72 hours before the flight . Or is it just another way of making money via the ASQ hotels ? A 7 day quarantine period would then not only give hotels business but also local entertainment vendors too when the 7 days are up .  Maybe additional 7 day quarantine hotels could open up . But who is making all the profit for the overpriced 15 day ASQ hotels ? that is a major factor

 

Anyone (most) returning back to Bangkok (after business overseas etc) will simply do the 7 days Phuket Sandbox quarantine instead of the 14 day Bangkok ASQ. 

It won’t take long for the hotels in Bangkok to realise they are loosing all their business to Phuket and thus there will be pressure to reduce the ASQ to 7 days for vaccinated individuals - IMO, the ASQ period will revert back to 7 days fairly soon after the Phuket Sandbox model is officially announced. 

 

That said: The Phuket Sandbox model is still preferable to 7 days ASQ in Bangkok - its easy enough to get a flight back up to Bangkok after 7 days in Phuket. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’ll make a difference....

 

All those who are doing the 14 day ASQ in Bangkok will switch to 7 days in Phuket (if they can get vaccinated before they travel here). 

 

 

If this ‘Phuket SandBox’) model takes off, My Wife, Son and I will travel back to the UK for a summer break. 

I was not prepared for my Son to quarantine in a hotel room for 2 weeks, but a hotel of our choice (SHA certified as many are) is not going to be crazy expensive and could actually be a pleasant option. 

 

 

 

But, how long will this last for until all the Bangkok Hotels which had spend money on ASQ modifications loose what business they did have to the Phuket Hotels and start complaining. 

 

 

 

 

Don't forget the ten day self-isolation in the UK. It might change by summer ( I hope it does) but that in itself is off-putting and similar inconveniences in other countries will still put off all but long term stayers from travelling 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who wants to be the first ones in with empty streets, closed bars and restaurants greeting you? Not much fun unless you just want to lay by the pool or beach. But you can do that anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, GeorgeEboy said:

Who wants to be the first ones in with empty streets, closed bars and restaurants greeting you? Not much fun unless you just want to lay by the pool or beach. But you can do that anywhere.

I'd be OK just laying by the pool, if the resort didn't rip me for every item of food and drink.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The people making the rules don't care because they have enough money to live a hundred lives without ever having to work. And they only care about themselves and their bank balances.  I'm talking about the UK, of course, but I suspect that it's the same around the world.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing is for sure.  The infrastructure that supports the tourist industry is vital to any recover of it.  Without the hotels, tourist attractions, boat transportation to the islands, and restaurants even if the restrictions are totally eased there will be nothing to draw tourists to Thailand. 

It takes only months to bankrupt a business and destroy a tourist industry but decades to rebuild it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, matador007 said:

If they did, even 14/15 day quarantine, and maybe 5-7 day max with vaccine, then allowed to leave the Island.

With only Neg. PCR test required, I could see a lot of people coming on that.

 

But the extensive requirements for a (STV/Non-O) visa puts a lot of people off.  Many comments about this in other posts.  Even people with retirement visa's not bothering to return until ASQ requirements reduced/removed.


To be specific on requirements I jumped through:

Criminal Record check, Medical Insurance, Bank Statement, and asking for proof of stay after ASQ is also a waste of time and resources.

 

Without STV, the 2 weeks ASQ for 30d (VoA) after, is not the right reward for the "pain" endured.  Ok, yes can extend 60d, and all that, but on the face of it.

 

Good luck Phuket, but dont see it happening until # hoops is reduced/removed.

 

 

This is not the type of tourist targeted. The island needs "normal" tourists, staying 2 or 3 weeks, bookings tours, eating out, shopping, rent a car, etc. Long timers do not feed the industry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...