Phuket: Only 1% occupancy in hotels in May - 90% shut - so will the tourists come July 1st?

webfact

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

Many cheeky observers have noted that pigs are more likely to be flying into Phuket than tourists from abroad.

In fact that's about the only reason I would come to phuket is to watch them landing in the sand box.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

There were only 300 hotels operating with 30,000 rooms. 

I work that 1% out as 1 room occupied in every hotel - definitely more bust than boom.

If they do not tourists in with just their vaccinated cards only, this hotel sector is going to be a slaughterhouse soon.

With airlines like BA supposedly not flying to Thailand October, this whole Phuket boom plan is knackered before it even starts 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, connda said:

Phuket: Only 1% occupancy in hotels in May - 90% shut - so will the tourists come July 1st?

Bookings do not occur in a vacuum.  The TAT, airlines, and hotels should be very well aware of the advanced number of bookings and reservations and could provide the numbers to the public to inspire confidence in their July 1st Grand Opening Scheme.

Do you hear anything?  <wind blowing across empty landscape)
Have any officials given the public a projected number of arrivals based on bookings?
Think about that.  I've answered the question.

The sounds of silence????

It’ll make a difference....

All those who are doing the 14 day ASQ in Bangkok will switch to 7 days in Phuket (if they can get vaccinated before they travel here). 

If this ‘Phuket SandBox’) model takes off, My Wife, Son and I will travel back to the UK for a summer break. 

I was not prepared for my Son to quarantine in a hotel room for 2 weeks, but a hotel of our choice (SHA certified as many are) is not going to be crazy expensive and could actually be a pleasant option. 

But, how long will this last for until all the Bangkok Hotels which had spend money on ASQ modifications loose what business they did have to the Phuket Hotels and start complaining. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matador007 said:

If they did, even 14/15 day quarantine, and maybe 5-7 day max with vaccine, then allowed to leave the Island.

With only Neg. PCR test required, I could see a lot of people coming on that.

But the extensive requirements for a (STV/Non-O) visa puts a lot of people off.  Many comments about this in other posts.  Even people with retirement visa's not bothering to return until ASQ requirements reduced/removed.

To be specific on requirements I jumped through:

Criminal Record check, Medical Insurance, Bank Statement, and asking for proof of stay after ASQ is also a waste of time and resources.

Without STV, the 2 weeks ASQ for 30d (VoA) after, is not the right reward for the "pain" endured.  Ok, yes can extend 60d, and all that, but on the face of it.

Good luck Phuket, but dont see it happening until # hoops is reduced/removed.

I am in the UK having carried out personal business and have had 2 covid jabs . However returning to my lady and Thai home is bewildering and disappointing because of the 15 day quarantine . If the Thai authorities understood that having a double jab almost mitigates infection and gives the vaccinated person the protection that stops hospitalisation the quarantine period  could /should be reduced to 7 days maximum , especially if a pcr test had been taken 72 hours before the flight . Or is it just another way of making money via the ASQ hotels ? A 7 day quarantine period would then not only give hotels business but also local entertainment vendors too when the 7 days are up .  Maybe additional 7 day quarantine hotels could open up . But who is making all the profit for the overpriced 15 day ASQ hotels ? that is a major factor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’ll make a difference....

All those who are doing the 14 day ASQ in Bangkok will switch to 7 days in Phuket (if they can get vaccinated before they travel here). 

If this ‘Phuket SandBox’) model takes off, My Wife, Son and I will travel back to the UK for a summer break. 

I was not prepared for my Son to quarantine in a hotel room for 2 weeks, but a hotel of our choice (SHA certified as many are) is not going to be crazy expensive and could actually be a pleasant option. 

But, how long will this last for until all the Bangkok Hotels which had spend money on ASQ modifications loose what business they did have to the Phuket Hotels and start complaining. 

Don't forget the ten day self-isolation in the UK. It might change by summer ( I hope it does) but that in itself is off-putting and similar inconveniences in other countries will still put off all but long term stayers from travelling 

The people making the rules don't care because they have enough money to live a hundred lives without ever having to work. And they only care about themselves and their bank balances.  I'm talking about the UK, of course, but I suspect that it's the same around the world.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, matador007 said:

If they did, even 14/15 day quarantine, and maybe 5-7 day max with vaccine, then allowed to leave the Island.

With only Neg. PCR test required, I could see a lot of people coming on that.

But the extensive requirements for a (STV/Non-O) visa puts a lot of people off.  Many comments about this in other posts.  Even people with retirement visa's not bothering to return until ASQ requirements reduced/removed.

To be specific on requirements I jumped through:

Criminal Record check, Medical Insurance, Bank Statement, and asking for proof of stay after ASQ is also a waste of time and resources.

Without STV, the 2 weeks ASQ for 30d (VoA) after, is not the right reward for the "pain" endured.  Ok, yes can extend 60d, and all that, but on the face of it.

Good luck Phuket, but dont see it happening until # hoops is reduced/removed.

This is not the type of tourist targeted. The island needs "normal" tourists, staying 2 or 3 weeks, bookings tours, eating out, shopping, rent a car, etc. Long timers do not feed the industry.

• Like 2