Phuket: Only 1% occupancy in hotels in May - 90% shut - so will the tourists come July 1st?

webfact

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

DUMB AND DUMBER AT IT AGAIN!????

The irony of criticising something for being dumb with an outrageously dumb remark !!!! 

The intelligence behind that remark is astounding......  a fantastic contribution to the thread.

Edited by richard_smith237

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed, it is most incredibly amazing how that - 18 months into a pandemic there are still people don’t understand the basic language of vaccination !!!!!! 

90% efficacy means - of 100 people exposed to covid-19, 90 of them will not test positive for Covid-19. 

10 may test positive for Covid-19 and suffer various degrees of severity, however, the vast majority have no symptoms or very light to moderate symptoms.

This has bene the case for all vaccines of varying efficacy.

i.e. Sinovac has 50.4% efficacy against Covid-19, a 78% efficacy against symptoms of Covid-19 (i.e. an additional 28% of people will test positive for Covid-19 but not show symptoms), the remainder will have mild to moderate symptoms. Sinovac is reportedly effective against sever cases, hospitalisation and death *(nothing is 100% and the vaccines may not be effective on a very small minority of people).

But this is a generally positive outcome surely, particularly if vaccinated people even if contracting Covid, will tend to have a much lesser viral load, very very likely to avoid death and even possible hospitalisation, and thus even though they can still pass it on to others the load is much reduced to anyone who catches it from a vaccinee. I agree people who still don't get any or most of that need to be educated

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

So, as a normal 2-3 week tourist, I'm going to put in for company vacation time (often, months in advance), book a flight and hotel, run all the immigration traps and cross my fingers that the Thai gub'ment won't pull yet another U-Turn between now and wheels up?

What could possibly go wrong, even if everything was 100% refundable?

I think the Phuket sandbox is a great idea.  But it's going to take some history before the touring public has confidence that it will actually happen.

The normal 2-3 week tourist won't come here even if there is no quarantine. Uncertainty kills the "normal" tourism. Who would fly 10-12 hours long distance flights and then spend the whole day on the beach catching up with the covid news, which country has opened, or closed, new quarantines and tests introduced, etc. The holiday is time to unload the stress, not to get extra stressed. If it is a holiday to a nearby country with abundance of flights it may work, otherwise most likely won't.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai tourism authorities think foreigners will come. Many cheeky observers have noted that pigs are more likely to be flying into Phuket than tourists from abroad. 

Previous attempt to promote foreign tourism have all largely failed in Thailand leading many to suggest that the current optimism will again fall flat. 

Why all the pessimism?  WE all know that TAT has a big plan to bring in the high class wealthy tourists and ex-pats that Thailand deserves.  Relax and leave everything in the hands of the government.  Thailand will be buzzing with tourists in no time!

I personally expect to hear crickets after July 1!????

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

I've described the vast majority of their target demographic.  And you've distilled our thoughts concisely. 

Don't bother.

Edit:  Backed up by the recent Chinese tourism survey indicating they're waiting for a few months after the quarantines go away.  That's how long it's going to take to build confidence that the gub'ment won't kneejerk another U-Turn.

Well we will know more next week

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The irony of criticising something for being dumb with an outrageously dumb remark !!!! 

The intelligence behind that remark is astounding......  a fantastic contribution to the thread.

Disappointed 

3 minutes ago, stuarty said:

Well we will know more next week

I'm thinking we'll know more 2-3 months after the sandbox program starts.  When it either goes as planned or it doesn't, and tourists either gain confidence or they don't.

And right about then, all of Thailand will open up...  Or there will be blood in the streets from hungry people.

• Like 1

My wife and I would go to Phuket in July.  However, according to the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles the government has not made it official so we are told we would still have to book the ASQ hotel.

3 hours ago, robsamui said:

Having jabs does nothing to reduce your chances of infection at all - it merely reduces the likelyhood of you ending up in hospital on a ventilator.

"90% effective" means there is only one chance in 10 that, when you become infected. you will need to be hospitalised.

Amazing how that - 18 months into a world pandemic - there are still people who don't understand the basic language of Covid vaccination.

Having jabs greatly reduced the infection rate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craigf said:

My wife and I would go to Phuket in July.  However, according to the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles the government has not made it official so we are told we would still have to book the ASQ hotel.

Something similar happened to me with the 10 day quarantine. 

Announcements had been made that quarantine would be reduced from 14 day to 10 days effective from 1st July. 

Less than a week before, the Thai Embassy would not issue the CoE for with a 10 day ASQ booking, I had to re-book for 14 days and then cancel it and use the 10 day booking.... 

The reason provided by the Embassy ‘The Government has not made the official announcement yet’

So... Expect to see lots and lots of announcement, but nothing official until much closer.

There is supposed to be a CCSA meeting on 2nd June which discusses the Phuket SandBox - hopefully the whole issue and details will be answered then. But, realistically, there will be plenty of holes. 

A lot of things need clearing up, such as: 

- can people stay in their own homes.

- Supposedly day trips off the island is allowed after the Covid-19 test on day 5, which means results on day 6. Free to travel for a day trip to Phi Phi on 7th ? >> the Sandbox quarantine is only 7 days long anyway - so whats the point of that announcement. 

- What proof of vaccination is needed.

- Will a CoE still be required etc etc.... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, impulse said:

So, as a normal 2-3 week tourist, I'm going to put in for company vacation time (often, months in advance), book a flight and hotel, run all the immigration traps and cross my fingers that the Thai gub'ment won't pull yet another U-Turn between now and wheels up?

What could possibly go wrong, even if everything was 100% refundable?

I think the Phuket sandbox is a great idea.  But it's going to take some history before the touring public has confidence that it will actually happen.

This is exactly the issue.  So sadly (for tourism and business) many people are waiting it out in their Home Countries, until things blow over and get better.

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And it never seem to amaze me there are individuals like you that think they have a open mind but as just so blind because they have their head up the butt and can't see what is so clear to so many. Look around any thread you choose and you will see majority of the comments are negative and there are very good reason for it.

It is astounding to believe you are so intelligence that only your minority contribution is of value. Wait up and smell the coffee the truth will set you free.????

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, madmen said:

Why would they not come? 

Latest (not confirmed) from travel agents info is no quarantine but must stay in a list of hotels where staff are vaccinated and free to roam Phuket 

This is all subject to an announcement from TAT on the 1st June 

Don't book anything yet! 

Screenshot_20210527-165451.png

And in True Thai fashion someone at the Thai Embassy in DC USA said I CANNOT have a layover in BKK and that my flight would have to be DIRECT to Phuket---opposite of what that hotel is posting

Ahh amazing thailand the home of the classic daily misunderstandings........sigh

I do wonder, just how many people normally flock to Thailand from July to October?  I have always thought that

it was low season, in Thailand, and the rainy weather and rough seas were enough reasons that it is called low season.   Most people go to Thailand

from October to April, when the late Autumn to Spring  weather was colder and in a lot of cases snowy and darned cold. Which is why

that period is called High season.  Has TAT and Phuket become so desperate that they all have forgotten these thought?

Good luck with your Mid Summer reopening.

Geezer

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Craigf said:

Confirmed as well on east coast and DC Thai embassy...also said I had to fly DIRECT to phuket

But Im quite used to the 1000 different answers from thais regarding one question..sigh

Just now, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I think will be a banner record breaker in the phuket topic thread that day..possibly a longer thread than topics about best burger or thai bargirls......maybe even crash this site ????

Things seem to be getting worse ......... not better.

I can't see Phuket opening at all.

New death record set yesterday.

Edited by BritManToo

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Things seem to be getting worse ......... not better.

I can't see Phuket opening at all.

New death record set yesterday.

Well we have a month to watch it all unfold..as we know thai changes direction like a fart in the wind

12 hours ago, GeorgeEboy said:

Who wants to be the first ones in with empty streets, closed bars and restaurants greeting you? Not much fun unless you just want to lay by the pool or beach. But you can do that anywhere.

Your not getting it. A lot of hotels and bars and restaurants will be open due to vaccination of staff. The whole purpose is to kick start tourism.  

21 minutes ago, howerde said:

This from expats in Thailand forum(Facebook), about an hour ago,   

The Thai Consulate here in Los Angeles just informed me "the Phuket Sandbox has been put on hold." What a surprise.

Can't be put on hold as hasn't been announced yet. 

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

What did they expect? compulsory tests and quarantine. Everything closed. Who would holiday there?

I would have to agree with you Henryford for many reasons, but the main ones being that no one is sure exactly what the rules are, or for that matter what they are going to be, as they seem to change as someone else succinctly put it, "like a fart in the wind".

And what is here for tourists in the coming months? Wet and windy weather, closed entertainment venues, many, many shops deserted and derelict, so the place looks about as attractive as a bombsite (and I doubt a lot of these places can/will be rebuilt in time to welcome visitors) – – there is absolutely nothing here that would attract a holidaymaker, especially given the uncertainty of the virus and the hoops one has to jump through.

On a personal note, I want Patong (where I live) to come back to life and to see holidaymakers enjoying themselves, and Thais making money, but having lived here for 15 years and watched the mindless shenanigans of the government and cronies, I doubt the resurrection will be complete for another year, at least. Sad to say.

• Like 2