Phuket: Only 1% occupancy in hotels in May - 90% shut - so will the tourists come July 1st?

webfact

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

And it never seem to amaze me there are individuals like you that think they have a open mind but as just so blind because they have their head up the butt and can't see what is so clear to so many. Look around any thread you choose and you will see majority of the comments are negative and there are very good reason for it.

It is astounding to believe you are so intelligence that only your minority contribution is of value. Wait up and smell the coffee the truth will set you free.????

So you really think the opinion of the nay-sayers on here counts for anything. Sad.

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

And in True Thai fashion someone at the Thai Embassy in DC USA said I CANNOT have a layover in BKK and that my flight would have to be DIRECT to Phuket---opposite of what that hotel is posting

Ahh amazing thailand the home of the classic daily misunderstandings........sigh

Far from the opposite of what is posted.

2 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I do wonder, just how many people normally flock to Thailand from July to October?  I have always thought that

it was low season, in Thailand, and the rainy weather and rough seas were enough reasons that it is called low season.   Most people go to Thailand

from October to April, when the late Autumn to Spring  weather was colder and in a lot of cases snowy and darned cold. Which is why

that period is called High season.  Has TAT and Phuket become so desperate that they all have forgotten these thought?

Good luck with your Mid Summer reopening.

Geezer

So you're suggesting to wait with a trial till December, and get as many in as possible. Sounds like an excellent plan.

Actually all I am saying is that for years, there was a period of the year in Thailand that was called low

season, because of the heat and the time of year. As well in Thailand because it is a tropical country, the High season

is when it is late Fall or Autumn, October or November, through the cold North Hemisphere Winter, until March or

April for some.   Since a lot of people want to escape the colder and snowy weather. Then in Thailand the hot and rainy season begins again,                                         and a lot of people return to their own countries to enjoy Spring, Summer and Autumn again, and so goes the cycles.                                                                                           I just do not see so many tourists flooding Thailand until at least October or later.

Geezer

To the back slapping boring old cliche throwers it's over. Suck it up boys the green light is through. 

Phuket agents have already confirm NO HOTEL QUARANTINE and for the dummies that's not 14 not 10 not 7 etc etc 

After 7 days on the island go where ever you want subject to negative swab in some provinces. 

Well done the expats who waited this out for eeeezy ride home ????

Edited by madmen

19 hours ago, robsamui said:

Having jabs does nothing to reduce your chances of infection at all - it merely reduces the likelyhood of you ending up in hospital on a ventilator.

"90% effective" means there is only one chance in 10 that, when you become infected. you will need to be hospitalised.

Amazing how that - 18 months into a world pandemic - there are still people who don't understand the basic language of Covid vaccination.

I am in the UK having carried out personal business and have had 2 covid jabs . However returning to my lady and Thai home is bewildering and disappointing because of the 15 day quarantine . If the Thai authorities understood that having a double jab almost mitigates infection and gives the vaccinated person the protection that stops hospitalisation the quarantine period  could /should be reduced to 7 days maximum , especially if a pcr test had been taken 72 hours before the flight . Or is it just another way of making money via the ASQ hotels ? A 7 day quarantine period would then not only give hotels business but also local entertainment vendors too when the 7 days are up .  Maybe additional 7 day quarantine hotels could open up . But who is making all the profit for the overpriced 15 day ASQ hotels ? that is a major factor

Expand  

Having jabs does nothing to reduce your chances of infection at all - it merely reduces the likelyhood of you ending up in hospital on a ventilator.

"90% effective" means there is only one chance in 10 that, when you become infected. you will need to be hospitalised.

Amazing how that - 18 months into a world pandemic - there are still people who don't understand the basic language of Covid vaccination.

Edited 18 hours ago by robsamui

Read my post again where you highlighted it in red and I wrote having a double jab almost mitigates infection . Do you know what almost means ?     A vaccinated person has their immune system boosted to recognise and defeat the said virus and so has a greater chance of defending an intake of the virus and at the same time greatly reduces the chance of forward infection to others .
I hope you can understand now what the vaccine is administered for . Your comments are laughable .
  • Like 1

A lot of Scandinavians want to travel in July, if they are allowed in.  

I just checked I can get a return ticket for 2 weeks to Phuket, KLM via Amsterdam and Bangkok for €530  .  Travel dates in July.  So it's possible, I am sure some will , but they might feel they are taking a risk.   Especially families will think twice, easier if you're traveling alone.    

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Look in the mirror and you will see your answer!????

Ahhh Thailand49 a wonderful carefree simpleton on the laoh Khao... I wish I could be that man in the mirror trust me I ache for it ????

9 hours ago, madmen said:

Ahhh Thailand49 a wonderful carefree simpleton on the laoh Khao... I wish I could be that man in the mirror trust me I ache for it ????

You can be what and who you want it really is that " simpleton "  ????

22 hours ago, stevenl said:

If you would have  used the quote function you would have had your answer: I did not post that.

BRB Im off to the temple to beg forgiveness, sorry I need to be more specific to exactly everything you post...(makes note to use quotes next time to not upset you)

• Confused 1

On 5/27/2021 at 7:38 AM, matador007 said:

If they did, even 14/15 day quarantine, and maybe 5-7 day max with vaccine, then allowed to leave the Island.

With only Neg. PCR test required, I could see a lot of people coming on that.

I am waiting to go back,but not until ALL present requirements are removed.

As they say...Up to them.

Edited by Jimbo53
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 9:20 AM, robsamui said:

What's your source for this claim?

On 5/27/2021 at 8:02 AM, RichardColeman said:

I work that 1% out as 1 room occupied in every hotel - definitely more bust than boom.

If they do not tourists in with just their vaccinated cards only, this hotel sector is going to be a slaughterhouse soon.

With airlines like BA supposedly not flying to Thailand October, this whole Phuket boom plan is knackered before it even starts 

You are right. I think that this is why Phuket is pushing so hard on this as they now realise the economic dire straits they are in (I was shocked to see the 1% figure). It won't work though as the hoops and hurdles for bona fide "tourists" just aint worth the hassle, cost for what? Rainy season? Mabe a better way in for expat married or retired but not tourists. Will be very lucky if there is any high season in Thailand come November. I am booked LHR-BKK on 1st November and fully expecting 2 weeks in ASQ but that's the price I pay and accept for loving Thailand so much.

There will be loads of people waiting to return to their girlfriends and wives, and plenty of people will return for a few months to see out the end of the covid, almost none of these will be tourists as it's been somchaied already and now it looking like 14 days on phuket, 3 tests - of which no one knows who will pay for and what labs will conduct them, so any chance of conclusion this week, so it can be ratified mid june, is looking far fetched..  Shame it was really promising early week.