American motorcyclist killed in head on collision in Phrae

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Kiatsak, 23, the driver of the car said he had been celebrating a birthday on Tuesday by driving five relatives to make merit

Where the beer and cheap wine were a plenty no doubt as it is the case in Thai celebrations and than on to drive a car or a bike home drunk on their butts...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Possibly but in the picture the car is on the right side of the road not the left. Whether this is where it was during the collision is unknown.

And the damage is  on the far left of the car which WAS overloaded with minimum SIX  people  in it  possibly  7.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Is  usually a  total <deleted>

Only in the eyes of those who don't understand. Want to be first? Then flash first.

At least if the oncoming driver flashes first it indicates than he has seen you.

26 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

The  people flashing are the ones who don't  understand.

They are usually Thais driving in Thailand, so which bit don't they understand. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, seajae said:

... I have got to the stage when they pull out and flash their headlights I flash mine back then hold them on and no longer move for them so they have no choice but to pull back in, ...

Who says they have "no choice"? I gave up that ridiculous notion of farang driving superiority when an oncoming regional 'orange squash' bus decided he wasn't going to give way.

Ahhh Grasshopper.... or is it Chicken?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Possibly but in the picture the car is on the right side of the road not the left. Whether this is where it was during the collision is unknown.

It is not unknown as there is a video on Thai media.

2 hours ago, wprime said:

Don't we drive on the left in Thailand?

My first thoughts as well. But you would figure if all is accordingly set up for two way traffic he would have been able to see this coming and make an evasive move to the left on the dirt side. But looking at the pictures, there is something just not right about the cone set up.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Forget "flashing."  Drive with your lights on and flip them to full high beams when morons do moronic stuff. 

Driving with headlights on during the daytime is, I believe, illegal here. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Driving with headlights on during the daytime is, I believe, illegal here. 

Tell every  motorcycle or do you want to call that riding. Then again so is  no  helmet  , speeding, crossing a  solid  white  line, red  light  jumping, mowing down and  killing policeman in your Ferrari etc

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Certainly would help if you learn the local rules of flashing. He who flashes first has the right of way.

Yes an no. Sometimes Thai men take that as a challenge to their manhood, and in other cases the driver is just oblivious and may be looking at their cell phone. But I do agree flashing is still a good thing to do showing your intent on not stopping or you have the right of way..

18 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Tell every  motorcycle or do you want to call that riding. Then again so is  no  helmet  , speeding, crossing a  solid  white  line, red  light  jumping, mowing down and  killing policeman in your Ferrari etc

Sorry I forgot you were following this. So for the intellectually challenged. Driving a car with headlights on, in daylight,  is illegal. Riding a bike with headlight(s) on is now automatic. 

But hey fill your boots... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I've seen the video. Whilst the car was in the wrong, the PCX guy did not seem to take any evasive action. Just plowed straight into the front of the car. There was open ground and even a small section of shoulder to his left.  Which was an obvious escape route. can even be seen in the photos above.

RIP

do you have a link to the video ?

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Sorry I forgot you were following this. So for the intellectually challenged. Driving a car with headlights on, in daylight,  is illegal. Riding a bike with headlight(s) on is now automatic. 

But hey fill your boots... 

no that brain dead law was finally abolished early 2000 and now every vehicle must have lights on at all time

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, scammed said:

do you have a link to the video ?

No as i said my wife showed it to me on her tablet.

22 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I ride every day. Many different bikes.

Like posted above -

Be Aware

Beware

Keep your options open - no target fixation. Look where you want to ride.

17 years here - still breathing.

Yep, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

2 hours ago, seajae said:

the car is on the wrong side of the road plus the bits of bike are on the shoulder so looks like the driver pulled out to overake without checking for oncoming traffic which is the usual norm here, so many thai drivers seem to  think they can pull out and any oncoming traffic will move off the road so they dont have to slow down, they also think flashing their headlights gives them right of way. Cant cant the amount of times I have had to swerve to the extreme side of the road due to drivers/riders doing this at the last minute to pass a slower car/bike without eevn signalling their intent, I have got to the stage when they pull out and flash their headlights I flash mine back then hold them on and no longer move for them so they have no choice but to pull back in, actually learning the road rules would save many lives here especially if the police enforced them

precisely what happens in lands of no enforcement unless of course you are a poor thai or farang not wearing a helmet at a checkpoint...

4 minutes ago, scammed said:

no that brain dead law was finally abolished early 2000 and now every vehicle must have lights on at all time

i don't think running lights are mandatory?  i see cars all over driving with no headlights on although if they did it makes things much safer...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Yep. Scan continuously for the escape route. Or at least be aware of where potential ones exist. It is the riding/driving equivalent of "Never fly straight and level for more than 10 seconds in the combat zone"

Also when riding / driving never fixate on any point for more than 10 seconds.

Helps, if like me, you drive worst than the locals. Then the worst person to meet is yourself coming the other way. As my driving instructor once told me.

This might be a bit philosophical for some?

and ALWAYS watch the front tires of vehicles not the signal lights for indications of direction change!!!!

• Like 1

What is wrong with this picture? Maybe, that the car that killed the Mr. Kenneth (RIP) is standing on the wrong side of the road? Looks to me like there is much more to the story... and that clearly the driver of the black car. What a superficial <deleted> article - blahblahing about the driver coming back home from a merit party at a temple... nothing about how it happened... Thanks for the info ☹️

• Like 1

I think the discussion here regarding flashing highlights is one of the causes of accidents in itself and that is that everyone whether Thai or foreign and around the world interprets 'flashing' differently............

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Certainly would help if you learn the local rules of flashing. He who flashes first has the right of way.

"He who flashes first has the right of way".

That's just a convention, not a law.  He who flashes first assumes that he has the right of way!

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"He who flashes first has the right of way".

That's just a convention, not a law.  He who flashes first assumes that he has the right of way!

Never said it was law. He who flashes first assumes that he has the right of way! This is understood by locals. 

13 minutes ago, Freigeist365 said:

The biker could have evaded to the left,

Exactly. I believe he fixated on the car with the unfortunate outcome. Who was right or wrong will not bring him back.

• Like 2

i don't even want to watch.   From the distance the cycle is ( alongside the big truck)  ,  the mitsu might have suddenly pulled out and accelerated leaving little time for a typical cycle driver ( not someone expert)  to react with a quick maneuver to avoid the crash