American motorcyclist killed in head on collision in Phrae

webfact

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Driving with headlights on during the daytime is, I believe, illegal here. 

For cars I think its reserved for V.I.P's to have their headlights on during the day

for motorcycles  most newer models are hardwired to have the headlight come on when the engine is running  so no option to turn them off.

Yes shirts are supposed to be worn along with undergarments.

thai_dress_mandate_by_pibunsongkram.png.6814326538a80836ba84cee548e9c538.png

6 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Or perhaps the American forgot which side of the road Thais drive on. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

It's not so sure, which side of the road Thais do drive in reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mikebike said:

Oh how I love irrational generalizations...

I accept that for you and many others riding a bike here is madness.

For me it is breathing. Riding is my church and I worship everyday.

Scooter, cruiser, street fighter, dirtbike, and track bike. I have one of each and they all get overused.

16 yrs in Thailand and zero issues on two wheels.

To each his own.

Whether the generalization is irrational or not, it get difficult to avoid the use of the word, when in general, people in Thailand driving scooters and motorbikes, generally end up crashing up their 2 wheelers onto another vehicle on the road. What I have never seen on my street at home, I see here many times from my balcony. and regularly while driving in town., so it is kind of a general happening, something happening generally.

I did try to find a n alternate word for it, this one seems to be the perfect fit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seajae said:

the driver pulled out to overake without checking for oncoming traffic which is the usual norm here

More likely the driver pulled out to overtake, saw it was a motorcycle, and figured he was bigger and had more road-status than the motorcycle so the MC driver, if he wished to live, would brake hard and hit the shoulder.

I've been force to brake and go for the shoulder in my car more times that I can remember.  Thai really are completely suicidal.  If there is a car parked in the road in their lane, they drive into the oncoming lane and fully expect oncoming traffic to yield to them.  I'm not suicidal so I look for it and take precautions.  That suicidal behavior works until it doesn't then here's the results: another on-the-scene fatality.  The Thai driver is now probably more scared of a farang ghost haunting him than any sanctions that Thai law won't levy against his failure to yield.

2 hours ago, ChiangmaiRob said:

Well I guess I'm wondering what you believe it to be if it's not a motorcycle? ????

There are scooters, and motorbikes.

In Thai, might be the same. motorsai, for the correct word of 'Jak gra yann yohn'.  Motorbike, motorcycle.

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I do it all the time.  Most modern vehicles now have some front light on for day-time driving.  All properly functioning  motorcycles do.  I simply turn my car lights on: seat-belt, lights.  I've driven through check-points countless times during the day.  No BIB has said "Boo" to me about burning headlights during the day. 
It makes you stand out from the lemmings. 

Edited by CALSinCM

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

It is a trading standard requirement that all new motorcycles have their headlights on at all times. There is no 'off switch'. It's been thus for at least 6 years. (when I bought my 1st one here) 

Neither is there any mention of lights being illegal during daylight hours in the Land Traffic Act.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

This is sooo ridiculous.   He's in Phrae....which is a place in Thailand where people go who KNOW Thailand......it's NOT your first pick.  You think he just woke up one day and say, "hey, maybe I ride on the right?"

Has a PCX 150 and you want us to believe he somehow forgets......when do you think he forgot?     

anti-American post.......that's all this is

Nah it happens mate. I confused myself many times riding in Laos. I didn't know if I was coming or going half the time.

It feels unnatural driving in the opposite side than what you are used to.

RIP Kenny

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, seajae said:

I have got to the stage when they pull out and flash their headlights I flash mine back then hold them on and no longer move for them so they have no choice but to pull back in, actually learning the road rules would save many lives here especially if the police enforced them

I am wondering how much longer you will be posting on Thai Visa. Does not sound like defensive driving to me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I see a lot of foreigners coming to Thailand and become speedster on the road. They will be the first to zoom off at traffic lights then drive at top speed exceeding the speed limit.

This will be the outcome.

Thai are bad drivers ,that's why we shouldn't speed.

In this case, the Thai is clearly wrong because he should only cut if there's nobody in front for one mile but if the motorcyclist drives too fast.... the Thai driver won't be able to react.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Freigeist365 said:

Got the link - found it on youtube. The Mitsubishi driver is clearly at fault - he's taking over a huge concrete or gas truck in a long left curve, unable to see oncoming traffic. The biker could have evaded to the left, but there would not have been the need to do so, if that moron in the black Mitsubishi would have been driving responsively and safely, waiting for a straight stretch of road to be sure there's no one coming. In addition, the car was at the very rear of the truck and could have avoided a collision by hitting the breaks hard and getting back behind the truck... Instead, he (typically local style) kept on overtaking guessing the motorbike would give way... I hope that the Mitsubishi driver will face the severe punishment he deserves.

It appears to me that the car driver had the right to overtake according to the interupted line. The motorcycle driver should have keep far left and he would be still alive.

The question is why he didnt? RIP

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Ventenio said:

This is sooo ridiculous.   He's in Phrae....which is a place in Thailand where people go who KNOW Thailand......it's NOT your first pick.  You think he just woke up one day and say, "hey, maybe I ride on the right?"

Has a PCX 150 and you want us to believe he somehow forgets......when do you think he forgot?     

anti-American post.......that's all this is

Mr Muir is a very sad Individual, he likes to take a swipe - mainly at Brits but as you've observed also our allies over the pond, he is a rampant nationalist who wants scotland to have independence, if you haven't noticed that you haven't been paying attention. ????

Pleas be aware that scotland was not capitalized on purpose, 2 can play the bigot game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Long time ago I remember the German's flashes also on the high way, in the sixties, it was a bad habit.

Everytime now in LOS it reminds me on that time.

The German's don't do that anymore.

I was in Germany for about 6 years during my army service, back in 71 when on the way to work about 50 clicks away if we saw a policeman with a radar gun we would flash oncoming traffic to warn them or stick a hand up against the windscreen showing 5 fingers ie 50 kph.

I got pulled in by the cops accused of warning oncoming drivers of the speed trap by either method, I just played dumb & said I was waving/flashing my lights to the off going night shift at the depot I was posted to 5555 ????

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this is a completely different version of this story. what i read yesterday was two trucks were over taking each other and ran this guy down like a dog. there is dashcam video. 

a PCX is not a motorcycle.

RIP

Techno you are correct but if it was a motorcycle the guy would also be dead Your point here?????  yes R.I.P

9 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Looks like they were doing roadworks there which might have been a contributing factor.

Or perhaps the American forgot which side of the road Thais drive on. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

Looks like the car and  the wreckage are on the wrong side of the road, unless the roadworks directed the traffic to collide...it wouldn't be the first time . Or perhaps the Thai forgot his driving lessons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I was in Germany for about 6 years during my army service, back in 71 when on the way to work about 50 clicks away if we saw a policeman with a radar gun we would flash oncoming traffic to warn them or stick a hand up against the windscreen showing 5 fingers ie 50 kph.

I got pulled in by the cops accused of warning oncoming drivers of the speed trap by either method, I just played dumb & said I was waving/flashing my lights to the off going night shift at the depot I was posted to 5555 ????

O yes I recognize that, the same happens and happend in the Netherlands.

But now there are radardetectors in the cars, not allowed but still.

I took my one to LOS, build it in my Fortuner before, but never necessary, and sold the car including the detector.

Edited by Peterphuket
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vangrop said:

It appears to me that the car driver had the right to overtake according to the interupted line. The motorcycle driver should have keep far left and he would be still alive.

Over take in a curve?You must be joking but it is not funny.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

They show him dying soo many times I wonder if they think it's a video game. or a comedy show.....I only listened to it once, but I think the guy asked, "Did he die?"   I guess I'm not used to this kind of "entertainment."  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, covidiot said:

more deaths from motorcycles than covid.

That's because more people have motorcycles than covid.

(Actually, it was reported that the deaths from covid yesterday, 47, were equivalent to the daily death rate from motorcycle accidents).

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It is a trading standard requirement that all new motorcycles have their headlights on at all times. There is no 'off switch'. It's been thus for at least 6 years. (when I bought my 1st one here) 

Neither is there any mention of lights being illegal during daylight hours in the Land Traffic Act.

the law was turned 180 degree in reverse early 2000,

guessing 2004 or 2005, to conform with rest of the world.

prior to that, it was actually illegal to have light on in daytime, and a police actually came over and switched off my light when i was at a red light

• Thanks 1