American motorcyclist killed in head on collision in Phrae

webfact

10pm.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

Long district police in Phrae in the north of Thailand were called after a head on collision between a Mitsubishi car and a PCX 150 on the Lampang to Den Chai Road (KM 407-408) on Tuesday afternoon.

Dead at the scene was the motorcyclist, an American man called Mr Kenneth. 

Kiatsak, 23, the driver of the car said he had been celebrating a birthday on Tuesday by driving five relatives to make merit (tham bun) at a temple in Phrae.

10pm1.jpg

They were returning home to Lampang. Two people in the car were slightly hurt. 

He described a head on collision with the motorcycle. 

The American was taken for autopsy at Long Hospital.

10pm2.jpg

Kiatsak is helping police with their inquiries. 

The Chiang Mai News report contained several clear and suspected errors and typos that Thaivisa has corrected. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-27

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I've seen the video. Whilst the car was in the wrong, the PCX guy did not seem to take any evasive action. Just plowed straight into the front of the car. There was open ground and even a small section of shoulder to his left.  Which was an obvious escape route. can even be seen in the photos above.

RIP

Curious, where did you find the video?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

this is a completely different version of this story. what i read yesterday was two trucks were over taking each other and ran this guy down like a dog. there is dashcam video. 

a PCX is not a motorcycle.

RIP

Yes I saw the same dashcam.  I knew the him, he was really nice guy, so sad his life ended so suddenly   He will be missed

Edited by genobkk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I have a pilot's license and used to play rounds of golf with some mil pilot friends. We'd often get into 'hours'. "5500", a C5A guy might say. "3800 for me" would come from maybe a C-130 jockey. Then a helo guy would say "500", and the mil pilots would be impressed as heck, given that the helo pilot was still alive after 'all those hours' Autorotation is not quite the same as a glide ratio of a winged aircraft.

Helo piloting, however, is low risk compared to driving a motorcycle in Thailand.

• Like 1

6  people  in a  sedan guess theyll  squeeze  in that then,  just "another  "  day  in paradise.

In my garage  sits a  shiny  hardly  used  Honda CBR650 but everytime I think about  going out I change my  mind,which is  sad.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, wprime said:

they only start accelerating once they're in the overtaking lane.

They don't,  they absolutely dawdle  when overtaking, best to  floor  it  if the road is  clear makes  entering the oncoming lane for as  short a  time as  possible.

• Like 1