Would YOU want to live to be 150 years old?

5 hours ago, covidiot said:

we are entering a new era.

futuristic cities are starting to be built in certain parts of the world. 

would be great to be around to witness the many changes in the coming decades. 

I predict poverty, barbarism and religious extremism for the vast majority of people in the coming 100 years. I wouldn't mind being around to see it if I were in the extremely wealthy and unaffected minority.

Edited by BritManToo

5 hours ago, Poet said:

Current live span is around 80. If you can increase the productive period between, say, 30 and ten years before death, from 40 years (dying at 80) to 110 years (dying at 150), you almost triple the productive span, allowing workers and experts to accumulate far more knowledge and expertise.

I've not noticed anyone accumulating knowledge and expertise with advanced age.

Most scientists are finished by age 35.

Most companies want rid of their staff by age 40.

Edited by BritManToo

14 minutes ago, Poet said:

Future technology will allow all of us to have 12 permanently-engorged penises grafted to our backs.

Having them detachable and keep spares stored under the bed in a shoebox sounds a lot less intrusive when trying to sleep than have 12 attached to ones back.

• Haha 1

Do not worry, by happy, this new technology is reserved only for a few ultra-billionaire psychopaths such as Soros, Bozzo, Gates ....... we are only entitled to Covid virus and fake vaccine for dead more quickly. 

Edited by ICELANDMAN
  • Like 2

Of course, diseases are the biggest hurdle; however, medical treatments are constantly advancing, so an eventual cure for cancer is highly probable. Until recently, Hep C was a slow death sentence - now it can be cured in a matter of weeks. HIV was an rapid agonizing journey to the crematorium - now in can be treated with antiretroviral therapy.

Eventually, perhaps one's genome can be studied, flaws would be detected, and the requisite corrections will be made.

Incidentally, performing heavy deep barbell squats will stimulate the release of NATURAL Human Growth Hormone*

* https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/growth-hormone-athletic-performance-and-aging

Edited by rcuthbert
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Well, the sort of cell-level renewal they're suggesting, we're talking about people remaining in their physical and mental prime for longer.

In our current environment, we age quite quickly and, yes, many people are exhausted by 40. Apart from low-skilled jobs, however, I would always prefer to hire someone experienced. Plenty of bright-eyed, bushy-tailed recent graduates around, but I spent thousands of hours trying to get people who knew what they were doing, the demand for them is insane. The inexperienced kids might have potential, but nothing beats a few decades of experience.

Again, I'm not talking about about low-paid, low-skilled work such as warehouse guys, security guards, janitors, and TEFL teachers etc.

As for scientists, with the possible exceptions of Mathematics and Physics, even the most ingenious rarely bear fruit until later in their lives. For example, the Turkish-German couple who own Biontech and who created the Pfizer vaccine against Covid-19 - probably the most important scientific product in the world right now - are both in their mid-fifties. Their success now is the culminations of decades of hard graft and let's hope they keep at it, their other main focus is cancer.

• Like 2

Just now, Poet said:

As for scientists, with the possible exceptions of Mathematics and Physics, even the most ingenious rarely bear fruit until later in their lives. For example, the Turkish-German couple who own Biontech and who created the Pfizer vaccine against Covid-19 - probably the most important scientific product in the world right now - are both in their mid-fifties. Their success now is the culminations of decades of hard graft and let's hope they keep at it, their other main focus is cancer.

Normally older scientists claiming discoveries, are just stealing the work of their younger staff.

As for Pfizer vaccine, we've yet to discover if it will save us all or kill us all in the longer term.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Normally older scientists claiming discoveries, are just stealing the work of their younger staff.

Younger scientists certainly often don't get credited for their work. I remember reading about how Watson and Crick really shafted a female assistant who contributed a lot towards the double-helix discovery.

In general, however, I would say that an experienced scientist, by the time he gets to that level, makes the most important contribution through having developed the gut instinct for where to dig and leading his team in that direction. The grunt work is often something that can be done by any trained scientist but, of course, they still deserve credit for their effort and commitment to the project.

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As for Pfizer vaccine, we've yet to discover if it will save us all or kill us all in the longer term.

I don't think any credible experts are suggesting that Pfizer will kill us. The mRNA mechanism is new but well understood. 60% of the population of Israel have not received both shots of Pfizer and it seems to have been extraordinarily effective, far better than we had dared to hope, in reducing the number of active cases in that country. No one expected them to get below the level "zero covid" of active cases until at least 75% of the population had been fully-vaccinated.

There are some reports of myocarditis after the Pfizer vaccine, but far fewer than Covid-19 would cause.

The main worries at the moment are about the two main Chinese vaccines with appear not to work, and the AstraZeneca which is very effective but causes a certain level of blood clots in every country except for the UK. Perhaps it helps to drink a lot of tea.

Edited by Poet

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I'll be happy to pull up stumps at 65, Wonder when Euthanasia will be legalized ?

Euthanasia has been legalized in Belgium.

Just need to register at any local municipality with a doctor letter saying that you are in full possession of your mental capacity at the signature.

I did it on my last visit to Brussels, two years ago.

Good point being is, even after +25 years of living around SE-Asia, doctor did not declare me insane.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poet said:

Younger scientists certainly often don't get credited for their work. I remember reading about how Watson and Crick really shafted a female assistant who contributed a lot towards the double-helix discovery.

In general, however, I would say that an experienced scientist, by the time he gets to that level, makes the most important contribution through having developed the gut instinct for where to dig and leading his team in that direction. The grunt work is often something that can be done by any trained scientist but, of course, they still deserve credit for their effort and commitment to the project.

I don't think any credible experts are suggesting that Pfizer will kill us. The mRNA mechanism is new but well understood.

How then can you be so sure is so efficient in the long term on a vaccine that has not been tested in the long term?

46 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

How then can you be so sure is so efficient in the long term on a vaccine that has not been tested in the long term?

Rather than say "so sure", I would say "so confident".

Decades of work have been done on mRNA transfection and, as a method, we already knew that it is far less intrusive and more precise than the traditional viral vector vaccines. While you can never be 100% confident that there will not be unpredicted effects from any medical intervention, this is a particulary subtle approach given the complexity of what we are trying to do.

All other things being equal, it is better to have more time to test vaccines but, given the situation we were in, a more compressed time-frame was appropriate. In fact, many experts familiar with mRNA have suggested that the inherent nature of mRNA meant that we probably should have started vaccinating extremely high-risk individuals in the summer.

As it stands right now, we have delivered almost 2 billion doses. For that scale of use, the level of harmful side-effects has been astonishingly low, and the effectiveness has been astonishingly high on the targets we were aiming for: reducing hospitalization, and reducing death. We now know that also it roughly doubles resistance to getting infected and, if you do, it cuts transmission by around 66%.

Whatever about half a year ago, the sheer number of recipients now means that we understand the nature of these vaccines far better than most.

Personally, I believe the locksdown were a massive overreaction. We should have directed all our resources towards shielding the most vulnerable, not shutting down the world. Social media in overdrive, hysteria in the mainstream press, and particularly spineless politicians were the perfect storm that landed us in this mess. The vaccines, in particular the mRNA vaccines, are our way out. We got lucky.

If anyone has doubts about the vaccines, they should not take them, and no pressure should be put on anyone. It is fair, however, that you cannot do certain jobs if you put others at risk. It is also entirely fair that airlines are shifting towards accepting only vaccinated passengers, and countries only want vaccinated tourists. That is their right and their duty towards their own citizens.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I'll take that as a definite "No." 

Parts wear out.. whatever it is you enjoy doing, how many people over 100 are doing it? 

And who's to say what mobility aids will be invented in the next 100 years?  Even now, there are people with fully robotic limbs living perfectly normal lives.  When you think about it, all your body is really for is to provide oxygen, nutrients and sensory input to your brain, and a means of transporting it about.  (Yes, some other parts are nice to have, but you could get the same effect by directly stimulating the appropriate neurons).  If /when they come up with a way of transplanting your head to a mechanical body, I'll be first in line to get one.  Then there's the likelihood of being able to upload your entire self into an artificial reality sometime in the future.  I'm not saying either of these things will happen in the next 100 years, but the longer you stick around, the better your chances.  As I said in my first post, look at the vast advances in technology between 1920 and 2020.  Would anyone back then have predicted even half of what we take for granted now?  Could anyone now accurately predict what 2120 will be like?

Edited by ballpoint

17 minutes ago, Poet said:

Rather than say "so sure", I would say "so confident".

Decades of work have been done on mRNA transfection and, as a method, we already knew that it is far less intrusive and more precise than the traditional viral vector vaccines. While you can never be 100% confident that there will not be unpredicted effects from any medical intervention, this is a particulary subtle approach given the complexity of what we are trying to do.

All other things being equal, it is better to have more time to test vaccines but, given the situation we were in, a more compressed time-frame was appropriate. In fact, many experts familiar with mRNA have suggested that the inherent nature of mRNA meant that we probably should have started vaccinating extremely high-risk individuals in the summer.

As it stands right now, we have delivered almost 2 billion doses. For that scale of use, the level of harmful side-effects has been astonishingly low, and the effectiveness has been astonishingly high on the targets we were aiming for: reducing hospitalization, and reducing death. We now know that also it roughly doubles resistance to getting infected and, if you do, it cuts transmission by around 66%.

Whatever about half a year ago, the sheer number of recipients now means that we understand the nature of these vaccines far better than most.

Personally, I believe the locksdown were a massive overreaction. We should have directed all our resources towards shielding the most vulnerable, not shutting down the world. Social media in overdrive, hysteria in the mainstream press, and particularly spineless politicians were the perfect storm that landed us in this mess. The vaccines, in particular the mRNA vaccines, are our way out. We got lucky.

If anyone has doubts about the vaccines, they should not take them, and no pressure should be put on anyone. It is fair, however, that you cannot do certain jobs if you put others at risk. It is also entirely fair that airlines are shifting towards accepting only vaccinated passengers, and countries only want vaccinated tourists. That is their right and their duty towards their own citizens.

It is exact that these vaccines have been administered to two billion people but it is not true that it has been tested for years on people but only for a few months so we have arrived at a kind of religion where one must only believe that they will work the final result will be between a few years, if population survive the vaccines.

For the fact of vaccines for travel, how to request Thailand will be the inevitable descent of his mass tourism, but if this is what his government wants, then continue on this path.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Poet said:

That's true, but none of the vaccines in the research were ever approved past animal testing because too many of the lab animals died.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's true, but none of the vaccines in the research were ever approved past animal testing because too many of the lab animals died.

And now we are the animals, what could go wrong?

Meanwhile, the deaths from vaccines are a small percentage if the published numbers we are to be believed, but today AZ denies that it is the only one that has caused more deaths as it says that Pfizer has caused three times as many.

1 hour ago, ICELANDMAN said:

For the fact of vaccines for travel, how to request Thailand will be the inevitable descent of his mass tourism, but if this is what his government wants, then continue on this path.

It is not want any country wants, it is not what I want, but it is unavoidable reality of this situation.

By the end of this year, no country will grant entry or grant a visa extension to any adult non-citizen who is unvaccinated. Even within the EU, freedom of movement is over for the unvaccinated. Certain airlines may move even quicker, meaning that expats who do not wish to get vaccinated may have a limited window to settle their affairs and return to their home countries. It is worth being aware of this.

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That is simply a false claim that has been comprehensively debunked. I don't know what to say to you beyond that. If you don't want to believe something, no man can make you. From your posting history here, I know that you are not dumb or generally deluded. Generally pretty on-the-button.

If you wanted to Google it, you would discover that all the Western vaccines had an animal testing phase, and the results were published. You could also fairly easily discover that, despite a tsunami of videos and tweets claiming that a 2012 mRNA tests killed all the mice involved, the experiment cited resulted in no deaths, and you can actually read the paper. The claims are a flat out, deliberate distortion targetting people they know are too dumb or too lazy to spend five minutes reading a paper.

There is a reason why people spread these lies, and it is a reason I have huge sympathy for: It is really fun to pretend that the vaccines are lethal, and that all the people taking them are "sheep" marching to slaughter. If, however, you genuinely believe this stuff but, also, for some reason, have stopped yourself from actually double-checking these dramatic claims, it might be worth asking yourself why.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

And now we are the animals, what could go wrong?

I bet it felt good writing that. I bet it made you feel smart, smarter than all those other people.

Again, spend five minutes reading the actual scientific papers that your conspiracy sites claim to be citing.

The truth won't make you feel so special, but at least you will no longer be deluding yourself.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You yourself have said your life really got going only after age 50.

Edited by BananaBandit
misplaced adverb
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Poet said:

I bet it felt good writing that. I bet it made you feel smart, smarter than all those other people.

Again, spend five minutes reading the actual scientific papers that your conspiracy sites claim to be citing.

The truth won't make you feel so special, but at least you will no longer be deluding yourself.

To tell the truth is a terrorist act, I am convinced that you agree on this.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tonray said:

The fact that we are here on ThaiVisa should dispel you of any possibility of that occurring....

He's got this dream about buying some land He's gonna give up the booze and the one-night stands And then he'll settle down In some quiet little town And forget about everything

Gerry Rafferty

• Thanks 1

A vast wealth of knowledge and experience is lost when each successive generation dies.  A longer life span would mean a longer cultural and social memory.

Take the following for example....

Wikipedia lists the 50 oldest known people alive today as being between 111 and 118 years old.  Only 4 of those were teenagers when the Spanish Flu started:

image.png.ba9e5a6efb4ddbfe56746ddd732ef458.png

Imagine how different the world's response would have been to Covid if there were 50 million people alive today who had lived through the Spanish Flu.  We can see a microcosm of how the whole world might have responded in various places around Asia where there is a strong social memory of 2003's SARS outbreak.