Would YOU want to live to be 150 years old?

24 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

If humans double their life span then the planet is well and truly ................

No. One of our greatest resource and energy expenditures is giving birth to, raising, educating and providing the time people need to find their feet in their twenties or, sometimes, even later. In terms of value created vs resources required, people tend to get into their stride in their thirties. Even negatives such as destructive or violent crime tend to tail off sharply after 35.

Then, the next great period of expense is severe old age and death. The vast majority of medical expense in any life occurs within the final month.

Current live span is around 80. If you can increase the productive period between, say, 30 and ten years before death, from 40 years (dying at 80) to 110 years (dying at 150), you almost triple the productive span, allowing workers and experts to accumulate far more knowledge and expertise.

Longer lifespans would also provoke a cultural change, encouraging people to take a more long-term view of education, investment, crime, relationships etc.

Our current lifespan is comicly short.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Poet said:

Current live span is around 80. If you can increase the productive period between, say, 30 and ten years before death, from 40 years (dying at 80) to 110 years (dying at 150), you almost triple the productive span, allowing workers and experts to accumulate far more knowledge and expertise.

You would also double the planets populations from 7 billion to 14 billion , as I said and the planet would be doomed.

If you lived to 150, then government s would have to step in and limit ALL mothers to 1 or 2 births only. Which would never happen in modern countries outside communist states

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

You would also double the planets populations from 7 billion to 14 billion , as I said and the planet would be doomed.

If you lived to 150, then government s would have to step in and limit ALL mothers to 1 or 2 births only. Which would never happen in modern countries outside communist states

People have been singing that song of imminent doom and overpopulation for centuries. The reality is that the advance of science and more efficient forms of distribution have always kept us ahead. Our capacity has always turned out to be greater than originally feared.

Not only will we have more people, but we will have more productivity and a higher number of truly exceptional individuals in every field. The entire population of the planet will be brought onstream as members of the information class. That will give us the financial and intellectual capacity to deal with broad problems such as climate change before they become a problem at the end of this century.

Bear in mind, too, that people naturally choose to have fewer children as their societies become more educated and financially secure.

Edited by Poet

9 hours ago, ballpoint said:

As long as I was mentally aware, and physically active, I'd love to. 

I'll take that as a definite "No." 

Parts wear out.. whatever it is you enjoy doing, how many people over 100 are doing it? 

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I'll take that as a definite "No." 

Parts wear out.. whatever it is you enjoy doing, how many people over 100 are doing it? 

If I can still pee at 80 without mechanical assistance, I'll take that as a win

• Like 1

3/4's of the work force would be employed in nursing homes... 

19 hours ago, asiacurious said:

For me, I think it would depend on the quality of life.  What about you?

yes, absolutely but it seems to me there is a direct correlation between ageing and decrease in quality of life... 

For anyone who says no, how old are you now? 
Do you think you would answer this question the same way in the year 1900 when for a man, the life expectancy was 46 years? 

Of course we want to live longer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trujillo said:

For anyone who says no, how old are you now? 
Do you think you would answer this question the same way in the year 1900 when for a man, the life expectancy was 46 years? 

Of course we want to live longer. 

Am mid 40's, will be happy with another 20 after that... someone shoot me please.

Sure, why not.

i think if one maintains a healthy diet, exercises regularly (especially walking) and is lucky enough not to succumb to any illness or disease then I think it is absolutely doable. 

genetics would also play a huge part here.. nobody is getting out of here alive so why not stick around as long as possible?

however, I may need to curtail my wine intake if I would like to see 100, never mind 150.

2 bottles a day then from now on instead of 3 ????

Edited by WineOh
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Certainly, if I knew I could still get an erection.

Future technology will allow all of us to have 12 permanently-engorged penises grafted to our backs.

• Haha 1