Hand Washing in Thailand

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

True, but it's not sterile when it's been out of the body a while.

One can drink urine if one wanted to, as it isn't harmful.

Going out on the p**s is not allowed now due to covid restrictions.???? Happy now?

Edited by Gandtee
spelling

3 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I use two fingers and a thumb at the time of emptying the tinkle.

Then I wash those two fingers and my thumb - the other fingers and my other hand remain untroubled so no need to waste water!

What I am most concerned with is zipping up my tinkle afterwards.

Apparently the French wash their hands BEFORE they have a pee, to avoid contaminating their most precious possession.

• Like 2

With no soap and no towels what do you expect them to do?  Maybe report the establishment where the toilet is located.

I would be more concerned about the nose pickers plenty of them out there.

Then, what I see more often then I would like pull down the mask and sneeze in the hand.

Then, walk around Foodland pushing the cart, picking up packages and poking at food.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RobMuir said:

The Thais use a bumgun so there hand doesn't actually touch the feaces

Yeah, they just blast the feces all over the place with the water while holding the water spray which has had a million other people blast their feces all over it.

9 hours ago, RobMuir said:

like the westerners who spread it around with their hand and paper.

At the risk of sounding condescending, you use the paper to wipe the stool off, not spread it around and you're not meant to let your hand touch the stool.

Also, many Thais use their free hand to "scrub" their anus.  Otherwise you still need to use some paper to get the last remnants from the centre as the water spray is not perfect.

I get that a lot of people like to pretend that everything Thai is better than the western equivalent, but there's a reason that you get more incidences of food poisoning in Asian countries.  They have poorer hygiene.

• Confused 3

10 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Agree with that. More germs on a public dunny tap than on my dick.

The Thais use a bumgun so there hand doesn't actually touch the feaces like the westerners who spread it around with their hand and paper.

I wonder what the Thais think about this weird Farang following them around in public toilets and reporting them?

Yeah I’m right on their tail , I observe and speak to manager I’ve done it twice Im not stalking toilets from toilet to out the door is disgusting major mall chains should have some hygiene ethics 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

With no soap and no towels what do you expect them to do?  Maybe report the establishment where the toilet is located.

I would be more concerned about the nose pickers plenty of them out there.

Then, what I see more often then I would like pull down the mask and sneeze in the hand.

Then, walk around Foodland pushing the cart, picking up packages and poking at food.

It was a mall plenty of soSo and paper now gas station that’s another story usually no sosp 

10 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

Certainly, but who's used it before them.?
And sure, smearing faeces around your bum with toilet paper isn't too hygienic.
But bumgun usage does not guarantee the toilet is clean.!

Do Thais bums ever explode faeces all over the place after eating something with a bug in it.?

Infact bumguns could work to their disadvantage.
Thinking it's clean and lulling them into a false sense of security.
What about cubicle handles, toilet seat, flush knobs, taps, bowls and towel dispensers.?

Without any doubt, the most discussing, filthy, stinky toilet I've ever had the misfortune to use was at the old bus station in Chiang Rai.
The only thing I touched was my Mr Pinky and the woman had the gall to ask for money, she was told to clean it before any payment.!

That big train station in bangkok , I think it’s gone now , I still have the stench of urine from a 100 years of <deleted> in my nostrils from that visit 

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

just blast the feces all over the place with the water while holding the water spray

Sounds very messy.

You have something seriously wrong with your technique.

Probably better for you just to stick with your hand and the paper.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

Yeah I’m right on their tail , I observe and speak to manager I’ve done it twice Im not stalking toilets from toilet to out the door is disgusting major mall chains should have some hygiene ethics 

Keep it up mate, you are surely making a big difference. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

Certainly, but who's used it before them.?
And sure, smearing faeces around your bum with toilet paper isn't too hygienic.
But bumgun usage does not guarantee the toilet is clean.!

Do Thais bums ever explode faeces all over the place after eating something with a bug in it.?

Infact bumguns could work to their disadvantage.
Thinking it's clean and lulling them into a false sense of security.
What about cubicle handles, toilet seat, flush knobs, taps, bowls and towel dispensers.?

Without any doubt, the most discussing, filthy, stinky toilet I've ever had the misfortune to use was at the old bus station in Chiang Rai.
The only thing I touched was my Mr Pinky and the woman had the gall to ask for money, she was told to clean it before any payment.!

I used those squirters a couple of times.  

Spread small bits of faeces all over my butt, over the underside of the toilet seat, over the top of the toilet seat behind my butt as well as some on the toilet tank.  

And yes, this was after all the poop had finished exiting that orifice!

Spent several minutes cleaning the toilet seat, the toilet tank, and the toilet floor.  

Not everyone can use one of those things.  Yes, the toilet paper works very well if used properly!

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I used those squirters a couple of times.  

Spread small bits of faeces all over my butt, over the underside of the toilet seat, over the top of the toilet seat behind my butt as well as some on the toilet tank.  

And yes, this was after all the poop had finished exiting that orifice!

Spent several minutes cleaning the toilet seat, the toilet tank, and the toilet floor.  

Not everyone can use one of those things.  Yes, the toilet paper works very well if used properly!

Yes all the Thai apologist here complaining about toilet paper what did they use in their home country? When I was young we had an dunny (toilet) outside and we used newspaper to clean our backside.

I know many Thais who don't have a bum gun what do they use?

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

You have something seriously wrong with your technique.

You seriously don't know that when you blast a stool laden anus with a jet of water, particles of said stool deposit themselves on anything within a few inches?

You're fine as long as you wash your hands, but don't be so silly as to not think that stool goes everywhere that the water goes and then some.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gandtee said:

' toilet paper works very well if used properly!' So does the bum gun. But if you are a slow learner, that's another matter. Do you have a problem eating with a knife and fork? Perhaps you should receive instructions and get a demonstration from an expert. Bum guns are not to be sniffed at.????

My wife is Thai.  She prefers toilet paper.  
When I asked her how to use a squirter, she told me to not use the squirter.  Says it's too messy, toilet paper is better!

We went to Thailand in April.  Before leaving she said she hopes there was toilet paper in the condo.  I told her that I had a roll in my checked baggage.  

I learned real quick, that I should always take at least one roll of toilet paper when I go to Thailand!

Why would I have a problem eating with a knife and fork?  I have been using both for more than 7 decades.  I have been using chop sticks since I was 4 years old.  Learned that in Japan. 

Usually, I eat with a fork and spoon, unless I am eating steak.   Something I learned to do in Vietnam and Thailand, way back in 1970 - 1973.   

Edited by radiochaser

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Think it may be because you are too messy with it and she does not want to clean the place up after you. 

Suggest you turn the water pressure down if your a spraying <deleted> all over the bathroom when you try to use it. 

No. My wife stopped using the squirt guns when she found out how to use toilet paper.  
Like I wrote before, she says they are too messy.  Toilet paper is better.  

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

You seriously don't know that when you blast a stool laden anus with a jet of water, particles of said stool deposit themselves on anything within a few inches?

You're fine as long as you wash your hands, but don't be so silly as to not think that stool goes everywhere that the water goes and then some.

The water jet method of cleaning yourself is inefficient( for the reason you rightly point out) unsanitary, unhealthy and just pain stupid.  In addition,  if the Thais ( for Thais add at least the Spanish, Portuguese and Greek, and probably many other countries) had better waste water systems, with proper size bore pipes and adequate water pressure, they shouldn't have to resort to <deleted> filled tissues in a bin. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Yes all the Thai apologist here complaining about toilet paper what did they use in their home country? When I was young we had an dunny (toilet) outside and we used newspaper to clean our backside.

Sears catalogs 

• Haha 2

And while we are on the subject of toilets, why do Thais everywhere and I mean everywhere, leave the seat up as something appearing to be a policy?

When I ask what do you think the lid is for, they look at me as if - I am  a foreigner!

In our house the seat lid stays down when not being used! Let's say for health and smell reasons! The exalted one agrees with me.

4 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

And while we are on the subject of toilets, why do Thais everywhere and I mean everywhere, leave the seat up as something appearing to be a policy?

When I ask what do you think the lid is for, they look at me as if - I am  a foreigner!

In our house the seat lid stays down when not being used! Let's say for health and smell reasons! The exalted one agrees with me.

Perhaps its up to stop people piddling on it?

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 4:11 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

They fill a bucket from a tap on the wall and they have a small bowl to put water in and they use their hand to splash water from that.

A decent bum gun with good water pressure is far more hygenic than toilet paper, but either option is only safe when hands are washed with soap after.

If anyone is splashing water outside the porcelain they either have too much water pressure or they don't know how to use it properly, IMO.

PS, before anyone says I don't know what I'm talking about I worked in an occupation where hygiene was of utmost importance, and we spent a lot of time and effort being hygienic.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

Something that is very annoying to me are females complaining that men leave the seat up so they have to put it down to use the loo. If they don't like the seat being left up, why do they leave it down when a man might be the next to use the loo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2021 at 11:47 PM, BangkokReady said:

I get that a lot of people like to pretend that everything Thai is better than the western equivalent, but there's a reason that you get more incidences of food poisoning in Asian countries.  They have poorer hygiene.

Worst food poisoning I ever had was in a western country after eating at a famous chain restaurant.

• Haha 1