Thailand reports 4,528 COVID-19 cases, 24 deaths

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

distribution of vaccines to other provinces based on how severe outbreaks are in the area.

This could be a game changer.  It will encourage the provinces to report higher numbers. 

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Haha 1

Another high inmate count!

According to the Department of Corrections, today saw a further 1,902 inmates infected with #COVID19. The total is now 23,245 cases and seven deaths. 8,404 have recovered. Most cases today were in Bangkok Kwang (1,350) which means 51.8% of that prison has had infections

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1398981041566543875

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Statistically, I believe it’s right to say that most infections happen at home between close relatives. Not much mask wearing there.

but masks aren’t 100% protection anyway, they just help.

in Thailand you may have read about big clusters of cases in prisons, constructions sites and factories. I have no proof, but I would suspect that mask wearing was a pretty patchy practice at a lot of them.

so masks are not THE answer. They are part of an answer, assuming that the question is “how to stop virus infections”.

You are correct, masks when you have to come into close contact with others such as food shopping and other essential services. Also need to avoid meeting/mixing with people you don't have to such as meeting friends for catch up/drink, etc. If the epidemiologists had their way everyone would be isolated, that's the only way to stop virus in it's tracks.

40 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I predict a bubble and seal for all the migrant workers coming.......................

Yup. So far using a state hospital (the thai workers I guess) and a scout camp (probably for the Cambodians) but putting 400 “beds” in the factory itself. So bubble and seal is likely.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

prioritizing the general population of Bangkok instead of at risk people nationally. I still can’t get my head around that.

I think the General population isn't what you think it is and I'm surprised the Generals aren't already 100% vaccinated yet, but then there are an awful lot of them I guess.They might also be an awful lot as well. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

Just saw a report on SBS regarding new variant in Vietnam. Initial indications are that it is more highly transmissible than both the UK and Indian variants. 
Not good news 

Yes, it’s on the bbc web site also. I read that it’s not a new variant as such, but a hybrid from the merging of the indian and UK variants. Being described as “very dangerous” but no metrics yet to specify what that actually means.

it doesn’t sound good, hopefully it doesn’t turn out to be as bad as it initially sounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For Chiang Mai Residents:

Non-Thai individuals who have questions about Covid vaccination are encouraged to email  Chiang Mai Public Health at [email protected].  I will endeavor to create a FAQ page.  Remember, if you"re asking the question, no doubt 10 others have the same thought.

Edited by edwarda909

12 hours ago, dinsdale said:

and now have 2 new variants the Thai variant and now found in Vietnam a mix of UK and Indian. This is described as airborne and highly infectious. No real reason to rule this mutation out here. How will the vaccs cope.

Where is this described as airborne and dangerous? 

13 hours ago, Blumpie said:

With one dose it takes 2 weeks to get some kind of immunity.  Don't fool yourself, it really does take that long and it does increase over time.  

One dose is better than nothing - it substantially reduces the chances of catching it and hospitalization.  True, you are not fully vaccinated but to be honest, you would take at least one month to become fully immune if you had both doses two weeks apart.  

The only smart thing to do is to space out the doses so more can be protected.  All around the globe they are doing this and it works.

Agree wholeheartedly, except that it should be at least four weeks between the two doses and at least for the AZ vaccine there is good arguement for a slightly longer gap than even 4 weeks.   

54 minutes ago, Tonypandy said:

Where is this described as airborne and dangerous? 

Not in the quote you attached, it says highly infectious.  The common cold is highly infectious.   

Fact, it has been established by scientists in the UK that the variant first identified in England spreads faster than previous variants.  The same was then established for the variant first identified in India.  The latter is spreading even faster than the so-called English variant and has become the dominant strain amongst new infections.   There is no evidence that it decreases the efficacy of the vaccines - all or almost all related hospitalizations are of non vaccinated people.   (Bear in mind that a very high percentage of the more vulnerable people in the UK are vaccinated).     

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The prison cases, if truly daily numbers, means not only is the problem big inside the prisons but also the surrounding areas from workers and suppliers of goods.  I would hope the folks who worked in the prisons are getting tested as well as their families and that they are also being isolated from others.

What about the remand prisoner, found dead on the footpath, supposedly tested positive b4 release, and was supposed to go to a public hospital, asymptomatic they said. 

Does this mean that they will release prisoners with positive covid tests and then tell them to find their own way to a public hospital, shocking. 

They must be careful not to infect people on the way, or die. 

Six sub-districts in Phetchaburi’s Khao Yoi locked down for 14 days from Monday

The provincial communicable disease committee of Phetchaburi has ordered the lockdown of six adjoining sub-districts in Khao Yoi district, from Monday for 14 days, after a new cluster of COVID-19 infections were found at a factory.

14 checkpoints have been erected to prevent those at high-risk from leaving the six sub-districts and to prevent outsiders from entering without authorization.

The sub-districts are Huay Rong, Nong Chumphol Nua, Nong Chumphol, Sra Phang, Bang Khem and Khao Yoi.

According to the provincial health office, 754 new COVID-19 cases were recorded on Saturday, including 745 factory workers.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/six-sub-districts-in-phetchaburis-khao-yoi-locked-down-for-14-days-from-monday/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Swimfan said:

Just saw a report on SBS regarding new variant in Vietnam. Initial indications are that it is more highly transmissible than both the UK and Indian variants. 
Not good news 

I read somewhere Vietnam had also gone into lockdown recently. 

31 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It's just been announced over our local village broadcast that in our Ampaa of Patiew there have been 6 cases detected and of those 3 have died.Yesterday on TallGuyJohn's province update said that Yasothon had only 1 case so something very fishy going on.I will be very interested what the number for Yasothon is today Provincial update is.

Is that report for 6 cases and 3 deaths in a single day or overall ? 

• Like 1

Chonburi Public Health Office has just announced that they have 62 new cases and three more deaths. The total new cases so far is now 4,669. Most new cases are in Bang Lamung/Pattaya (2), Chonburi City (39), and Sriracha (14) #COVID19 #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1399153868227825665

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

Don't know and Mrs FFF has gone off to work so I'll have to get back to you on that one.It does seem to backup my theory that there has been a continued traffic flow from Bangkok to all parts of Thailand since Songkran so I don't think the spread is limited to Bangkok.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

Even if it's overall look at the disparity of 6 cases and 3 deaths it doesn't add up.People aren't being tested in quantities to make the figures reliable.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, anchadian said:

As serious as serious can be, no surprise then on that announcement yesterday by CCSA that the health service could become overwhelmed. Terrible news. Lockdown or face much worse, whats it to be?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Sad 1

Thailand reports new daily record of 5,485 new COVID-19 cases, 19 new deaths

COVID31.JPG
Government officials in face masks attend a preparation of the Central Vaccination Center as the country deals with a fresh wave of the infections after tackling earlier outbreaks of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Bangkok, Thailand, May 21, 2021. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

Thailand on Monday (May 31) reported 5,485 new COVID-19 cases and 19 additional deaths.

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1218914-thailand-reports-new-daily-record-of-5485-new-covid-19-cases-19-new-deaths/

//CLOSED//

/Admin