Thailand reports new daily record of 5,485 new COVID-19 cases, 19 new deaths

webfact

COVID31.JPG
Government officials in face masks attend a preparation of the Central Vaccination Center as the country deals with a fresh wave of the infections after tackling earlier outbreaks of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Bangkok, Thailand, May 21, 2021. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

Thailand on Monday (May 31) reported 5,485 new COVID-19 cases and 19 additional deaths.

● 3,532 new infections
● 1,953 prison / prison infections

Monday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 159,792 with 1,031 deaths.

The news comes as most Thais believe they can resume normal life after all get first vaccine shot. Up to 87% of respondents to a recent poll say they want every Thai citizen to receive their first COVID-19 vaccine jab and do not mind if the second shot is postponed.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-31

1 minute ago, AndyFoxy said:

But....but.....some forum members said the numbers are stable or going down. How could this be?

What's the 7-day rolling average?   Hopefully someone statistically-minded will post it.  I doubt it will show the exponential increase that some feared.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, club said:

I see where they are pushing the one jab nonsense.  

They are then using the term they have vaccinated them, yet to be truly vaccinated one must have both doses.  I know semantics.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

This new peak will not be shown until the stats catch up on 7 day rolling average but be patient it will come, not sure why that is so important to you anyway.

Surely todays data comes in as 1/7th of the plot. The smoothing effect helps to see the trend. If the next 3 or 4 days are also high it will be very apparent. 

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

They are then using the term they have vaccinated them, yet to be truly vaccinated one must have both doses.  I know semantics.

exactly, They dont want to tell you everything

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Surely todays data comes in as 1/7th of the plot. The smoothing effect helps to see the trend. If the next 3 or 4 days are also high it will be very apparent. 

It only shows the smoothing trend for reported cases not unreported cases.

Just now, robblok said:

No but you been saying its stable going down while in reality numbers have been creaping up. It might not be exponential but opening up would be foolish.

At this point, any increase at all that is sustained would make opening up again anytime soon problematic.  But, a lot depends on where these new cases are located. If there is a cluster of 1,000 in a factory in Udon Thani, that’s a manageable issue, but if most of the new cases are in the greater Bangkok area, that’s going to mean that hotspots are getting out of control.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

No but you been saying its stable going down while in reality numbers have been creaping up. It might not be exponential but opening up would be foolish.

Opening up?  Most things are open, at least here in Bangkok they are.  The only things still firmly closed are parks, pools and schools (and obviously bars & clubs).

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just heard news that schools here in Bangkok will be opening up on the 14th, so in 2 weeks.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.  

That would be fantastic news!   We had an email from my son's school to this effect, but they said official confirmation was still being waited for.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It only shows the smoothing trend for reported cases not unreported cases.

Yes, it is not magical enough to report unreported things. Still very useful though.

• Haha 1